Critique My Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by JGombs99, Apr 14, 2017.

1. JGombs99Well Known MemberMember

Still working on the aquascape (and stocking)in my 29 gallon. Please ignore the fish you see as some will be re-homed. My question is about the aquascape. Although I like how it looks, I want to know if there's too much decor and not enough swimming room. Any other feedback or suggestions are also welcome. I'll put my future stocking below.

11 (or so) Harlequin Rasboras
    1 Angelfish
    1 Keyhole Cichlid
    65aa92682e0aafcd29dc15d7ec6834e6.jpg

2. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

3. OP
    OP
    J

JGombs99Well Known MemberMember

Thanks! I'm not ready for live plants! So, you think I've left enough swimming room?

4. ChaoryValued MemberMember

For small fishes, it should be fine.

5. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Try building a background of fake plants, I like the randomness of the current setup tho, looks good and I feel like it adds depth to the tank.

6. The Senator

The SenatorValued MemberMember

Yes, I think you have adequate swimming space....

I'd try a larger piece of wood or a larger rock in place of the root wood - might just add a little height to the aquarium.

You just have to keep moving and trying new things til you get it perfect!

7. OP
    OP
    J

Chaory, I plan to have an Angelfish, though. Not a small fish.

The Senator, I actually really like that piece, but I keep moving it around to get the best angle. I'm debating on getting another small piece of mopani to go on the other side of it, though...if I have the room.

8. ChaoryValued MemberMember

Angels likes plants for hiding when scared.

9. MikeRad89

MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

I think it's looks ok. I'd prefer to have plants on one side, small drift wood in front and an open swimming area on the other side.

10. OP
    OP
    J

Thanks for the advice so far! So, should I assume that for the fish I want to keep, it's completely just personal choice whether I leave it or clear out a bit more swimming space?

11. ChaoryValued MemberMember

What ever makes them more comfortable. Either more places to hide or swim.

12. Diesmali

DiesmaliValued MemberMember

If you can keep fish alive you can keep the easy plants alive.

13. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Not always true! LOL, some fish will eat or destroy plants :), also depends on the lighting!

14. Diesmali

Okay then, I'll rephrase. If I can keep plants alive then so can he/she. :)

Anything with java in the name or the grass looking ones...I can't kill them and I am horrible with plants, wife won't let me near the garden. (Which isn't a bad thing)

15. OP
    OP
    J

Ok, now we're getting of course, guys. I'm honestly not interested in live plants at this point. All I want to know is, do I have too much decor for the larger fish I plan to keep, or am I good? If I'm good, can I do one more small piece of mopani to fill in the missing spot, or is that pushing it?

16. Diesmali

Sorry.

I don't think it would be an issue. Looks like lots of room.

17. OP
    OP
    J

Don't be sorry! I just wanted the opinions on the tank the way it is. Live plants are a MAYBE way off in the DISTANT FUTURE. so, I'm not at a place to even discuss them right now.

18. Diesmali

As long as your plants are staggered front to back and you aren't filling that top space with more I think you're fine. Tanks can look crowded from one angle and still have lots of swimming room three dimensionally.

I like the look of yours. Only thing I'd get OCD over is the airline hose. Maybe some suction cup clips to tack it into the corner. On my third tank as a newbie and already getting picky about hiding equipment.

19. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I think it looks really good!
    The white substrate is pretty striking.

20. OP
    OP
    J

Thanks for the thoughts! I like it, too. Just wanted to be sure. Oh, I forgot to mention, I do plan to add a background to hide the equipment.

Anders 247, thanks! So you think I can add that additional third piece of wood and still be fine with the cichlids I plan to add?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice