Critique my betta!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by kuhliloach85, Jul 8, 2015.

1. kuhliloach85

kuhliloach85 Valued Member Member

How does my betta rate in terms of form/color? I think he's a rose tail. I got him at Petco. I know he's not a show fish, but I'm curious how he compares.

10ii2pd.jpg 11r3dbt.jpg

2. chrt396

chrt396 Well Known Member Member

He's a good looking Betta!! I've been looking at getting a red one as well...but I'm DYING to get a black one with yellow fins. Your Betta appears to be a half moon Betta...but I'm not an expert on names for them. I have dark blue with magenta fins half moon.."Smitty". He's my buddy! LOTS of personality.

3. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

If you want a critique to show standards, a clear, full side shot of the fish in a full flare is necessary.

4. OP
    OP
    kuhliloach85

He moves around so much, these are the only two I was able to get, I'll try again tonight.

5. chrt396

Jump up behind me and scare the poop out of him. He will flare! :;laughing

I think he's a good looking fish!

6. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Well if you can't show him a mirror or another betta and have him flare enough for a photo, he would not be considered showable. He is obviously a nice betta, but for any real critique he needs to flare so we can see the nice D shape on his caudal fin.

7. chrt396

I really like the white one in your signature. The dark red really makes him pop!

When I first got my bettas..they flared like crazy..but once they settled in..and became more comfortable...they never flair up. The picture of the Betta in my signature was taken the 2nd day after I brought him home. He was flaring up even when I looked at him across the room. He has since turned into a big ol' lazy hound dog. All he wants to do is eat!

8. OP
    OP
    kuhliloach85

OK, I showed him a mirror last night and got these shots.
    *click on photo for larger image*

359ii5t.jpg

Video:

[video=youtube;5msbskYn-TY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5msbskYn-TY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Is he show quality? Would you breed him? Why and why not? Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  9. chrt396

You have to understand...Petco and Petsmart don't order the "show quality" Bettas in typically. They order fish that are fairly common for "Everyday Joe" can afford. I really want a black one with yellow fins..but I've never seen one...except once...and the stores owner kept him. I asked if I could buy it..and was willing to pay more than the typical cost..but he refused.

Browse through this web site..and you'll see just how much these little boogars can sell for. They are beautiful though.

10. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Actually, most of the bettas in your local big box store come from the same breeders and even the same ponds/lines as the show quality fish. Those that end up in stores are either culls or fish that got pulled from a pond and were too old for breeding, but worth something for sale as a pet.

If you think bettas sell for a lot... I saw at least 3 resales from a Thai breeder that would never dream of charging this much.... they were each going for over $150.00. They will probably max out around $300.00 when the bidding wars are over. This was on ebay. The original fish were on Aquabid, commonly regarded as the place to buy bettas from the Thai and indonesian breeders.

As for the better pictures of Big Red - I wouldn't call him show quality, as he would not place well in an IBC or Bettas4All show. The main reason being his coloring - a "good" red betta is totally solid, no pale scales showing, no black spots or black scale edging, and no iridescence (the shiny blue scaling most red bettas have). This also means no wash color. A lot of reds have a blue or black wash. Your guy doesn't, though.

His body shape is not ideal - a bit thick, causing him to look slightly disproportionate. His topline is kind of "meh" for a show fish. Ideally the line from the mouth, over the top of the head, meeting the base of the dorsal fin will - and I don't know how to better explain this - make a statement.

On to his fins - I can't see the ventrals clearly in any of those photos, but it looks like they're thick, and possibly short. I suspect this is due to his overall genetics. He's a bit overbranched in general, on all unpaired fins, bordering on rosetail genetics. I wouldn't be surprised if he was an X factor gene carrier. Further, his dorsal base is not wide enough to create the "D" shape you'd want in a halfmoon.

Now, don't let any of that discourage you. He's a gorgeous fish and he looks very healthy and active. I really enjoy halfmoons that are as playful as he looks in that video :)

11. chrt396

Every once in a while, you'll see a "SPECIAL" Betta that slipped through the cracks at the larger pet stores like Petco and Petsmart..but they don't order those as a general rule..because "Little Tommy's" parents won't spend $150 on a fish for the little guy. junebug...I stared at those Betta pages..and was itching to pull the trigger on a absolutely STUNNING Crowntail in black with red edges....but..common sense came to me and I backed away from the computer. The desire to shop for that "Special" Betta is still there..but I'll wait until I see one slip through the cracks at my LFS.
    kuhliloach85 ...He is still beautiful...and the best part of that fish...he has some huge personality! THAT my friend is what makes a Betta special

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice