Cringing At This Tank...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kayla.s, Aug 6, 2017.

1. kayla.s

kayla.sWell Known MemberMember

So, despite my best efforts, my sister has decided to get a fish tank. It's not even set up yet though she's already bought the fish...

The tank is a 10g.
    2 pangasius catfish
    8 pink neons
    3 pink GlassFish

I've tried to explain the process of cycling and over stocking and how big that catfish will get, but between her and my mom they just don't seem to care or think I'm joking... I feel so bad for these poor fish that are going to have to endure this torture now :(

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  2. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

It will not finish well.

3. sweendog87

sweendog87Valued MemberMember

It's been an hour since your first post I'm betting shes lost a fish by now lol

4. Susiefoo

SusiefooWell Known MemberMember

You've tried.

She'll be complaining about the "bad stock" from the shop in a couple of weeks.

Maybe throw in a bottle of Tetra Safe Start when she's not looking to at least give them a chance.

Edit: or email her this  

5. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

No store should sell Pangasius, except as a special order. The species should not be available in display tanks, and a store that sells them is advertising itself as low quality.

6. KaderTheAnt

KaderTheAntWell Known MemberMember

Poor fish. Hopefully we can think of a way to change her mind, not completely, but to the point where she actually listens to yoh

7. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Maybe you can also add some media from your tank to help the cycle along????

8. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

I agree completely. I got her a bottle of safe start now, hopefully she'll be bothered to use it. The store apparently said that they would not get so big, but in a 10g everything is pretty big. Hopefully they'll make it through a fish-in cycle...

9. KaderTheAnt

I wouldn't say hopefully... sorry if this opinion bothers anyone but......

If the fish were to die, she's more than likely going to either A. Not want to get anymore or B. Not going to get the same species which is where you sleek in and point out fish that would work. Find the prettiest 10 gallon suitable fish and point them out non-stop.

Yes, this would mean letting the unfortunate fish in the tank now die, but in the end she'd be happy because she has fish and you'd be happy because you're not taking care of another persons tank.

10. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

Yeah I kinda agree with that, though it would be a shame for these beautiful cats to die :(... I point out the ones that will work but get told that they're "ugly and lame" all my advice falls on deaf ears... they always say I buy plain, ugly, little fish but they don't realise how big these fish get or think I'm exaggerating and they think the fish will just grow to the size of the tank...

11. KaderTheAnt

Did you show them the post with the giant version of their precious baby fish

12. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_Well Known MemberMember

I would definitely show them pictures of a full-grown Pangasius. I have no idea why pet stores still sell them and other huge fish like common plecos and redtail catfish:(

13. KaderTheAnt

Me either. And I thought Bala sharks shouldn't be sold.. these guys definitely shouldn't be

14. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

She wanted a bala shark too, but instead went for 2 pangasius... I have told her countless times that they will grow to 4 feet long aquarium busters... but she just laughs and tells me to chill... when these things do grow you can't even give them back as no one will want a fish this size...

15. fish time

fish timeWell Known MemberMember

Had a similar encounter execpt my dad had a saltwater tank bio cube about 2 years ago it was a 24 gallon bio cube and the stocking had
    1 maroon clownfish
    4 damsels
    1 baby emperor anglerfish
    1 blue hippo tang
    1 fire shrimp
    And that's about it all died

The fire shrimp is the only one that survied

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2017
  16. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

Oh goodness...that sounds like one expensive mistake! @fish time

17. KaderTheAnt

18. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

Don't think they will get quite that big as that's a giant mekong, but I know that these will get BIG too. Just not giant:sorry: (thankfully)

19. KaderTheAnt

It's enough to scare her from keeping it

20. shiv234

shiv234Well Known MemberMember

oh geez she has that in a 10g

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice