Crested Gecko Size

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
how big are crested geckos supposed to be at 7 months?

my crested gecko isnt much of a bug kind of gecko. i tried live crickets, canned crickets, etc and he hasnt eaten any of them whenever i offer them to him. i dont have anything weigh him with either, been meaning to get something to but they are all fairly expensive for a student from what i looked at already, most are at least $75 or around that price range.

i also do know he has been eating everyday because he has been pooping and just pooped on me a little while ago when i took him out today. he is healthy and has been shedding and growing but im worried about his growth rate because ive never seen or been around crested geckos much so im not sure how big he is supposed to be at certain ages.

also does anyone know of affordable scales to weigh reptiles with? i have just a regular scale but its not meant for smaller lizards

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
also does anyone know of affordable scales to weigh reptiles with? i have just a regular scale but its not meant for smaller lizards
Maybe something like those one they have at grocery stores for fruit sold by weight?

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
:O i have a home depot an hour away! i will have to stop by this weekend and take a look.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
By the way, every single google ad I get is now a bunch of fruit scales lol, so I hope it's what your looking for :hilarious:
:emoji_joy: from the looks of things it is. i get ads for the weirdest things after googling things.

although good news is he finally ate a cricket! although it wasnt gutloaded or dusted, just plain as a tester. it took awhile to get his attention but finally ate one. was a little worried about it being too big but he didnt have trouble getting it down

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That's great, I'm glad he's eating!
I had to google something for a history project, the screen was just bordered with scale adds...
It was like, who started the 18-- HEY, wanna buy a fruit scale from home depot? How about Amazon? Home Depot again? You're in luck! They're on sale at (random store here)

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Crested geckos grow at vastly different rates. There are some people out there that insist they have to be so many grams by a certain age but in my experience sometimes there’s nothing you can do and the gecko is a slow grower. I have a gecko I hatched nearly 8 months ago and it’s probably only gained 2 grams. It still looks like a hatchling. It eats entire caps of breeder formula and readily takes crickets and dubia roaches. It’s the only gecko out of all my hatchlings that I can’t sell because it’s too small, and care is the same for all of the hatchlings; no reason why it should be this small other than...it’s just that small haha

The general rule is you want to feed insects no bigger than the space between their eyes. They can eat bigger but sometimes they’ll get stuck trying swallow them and just throw them up. Do you feed in his enclosure or in a separate bin? And are you using tongs to feed him? I would feed him 5 crickets at a time IN his enclosure. A lot of crested gecko owners seem to take their geckos out and put them in a bin to feed insects, which I understand for things like dubia roaches who will bury themselves and hide, but for crickets I definitely just toss them right in the enclosure. Plus they feel more secure in their enclosures and I’ve seen many crested geckos drop their tails in their “feeding bins.” I don’t put anymore in than they can eat because crickets can and will bite your gecko. But honestly I think that typically happens with a weak gecko and the crickets take advantage of it. I’ve never had crickets hurt any of my reptiles. I also don’t tong feed any of my reptiles insects, it takes the hunt out of it and that’s amazing exercise and enrichment for them.

Sorry if I’m missing some things you may have responded to in your thread or what others may have covered, I can’t see anyone’s other replies right now because the website is experiencing some difficulties but I wanted to make sure I replied to this when I had seen it.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Crested geckos grow at vastly different rates. There are some people out there that insist they have to be so many grams by a certain age but in my experience sometimes there’s nothing you can do and the gecko is a slow grower. I have a gecko I hatched nearly 8 months ago and it’s probably only gained 2 grams. It still looks like a hatchling. It eats entire caps of breeder formula and readily takes crickets and dubia roaches. It’s the only gecko out of all my hatchlings that I can’t sell because it’s too small, and care is the same for all of the hatchlings; no reason why it should be this small other than...it’s just that small haha

The general rule is you want to feed insects no bigger than the space between their eyes. They can eat bigger but sometimes they’ll get stuck trying swallow them and just throw them up. Do you feed in his enclosure or in a separate bin? And are you using tongs to feed him? I would feed him 5 crickets at a time IN his enclosure. A lot of crested gecko owners seem to take their geckos out and put them in a bin to feed insects, which I understand for things like dubia roaches who will bury themselves and hide, but for crickets I definitely just toss them right in the enclosure. Plus they feel more secure in their enclosures and I’ve seen many crested geckos drop their tails in their “feeding bins.” I don’t put anymore in than they can eat because crickets can and will bite your gecko. But honestly I think that typically happens with a weak gecko and the crickets take advantage of it. I’ve never had crickets hurt any of my reptiles. I also don’t tong feed any of my reptiles insects, it takes the hunt out of it and that’s amazing exercise and enrichment for them.

Sorry if I’m missing some things you may have responded to in your thread or what others may have covered, I can’t see anyone’s other replies right now because the website is experiencing some difficulties but I wanted to make sure I replied to this when I had seen it.
that does make me feel a little better knowing that it might not be completely my fault lol. hopefully he is just slow grower but now that he decided to like crickets it shouldnt be much of a problem if it is a protein problem

all thats been covered is scales to weigh a gecko so you added quite a bit of good info.

the crickets they gave me are a little big then but not too much, so i wont feed them that often. luckily he doesnt have trouble eating the ones i have fed him. i just have to remember to ask for smaller ones next time. im not sure which way i will do it because i havent fed any crickets successfully until yesterday and today which was outside the tank. doesnt stress him out but i might try feeding inside the cage next time. hopefully none escape last time i attempted to feed a live cricket in the cage it escaped after aw few days because he showed no interest.

no i dont tong feed either, i just let them do their thing. i do like watching the hunting though because he gets really fired up which did help me with figuring out the morph XD

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ok i did find a scale at a hardware store and just weighed him. which was surprisingly easy because he didnt try to move off of the scale and he is currently 4grams

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
you definitely helped me figure things out . yeah i will post some!

heres a pic of him i took recently
DSC00468.JPG

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom