Crested Gecko Setup

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i heard that plants wont grow long term in eco earth which is what i used. is there a way to fertilize it once it runs out of nutrients?

Aquilist

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Springtails act as your fertiliser. Their waste feeds plants. As long as eco earth stays moist, your plants should be fine.

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JamieXPXP said:
i heard that plants wont grow long term in eco earth which is what i used. is there a way to fertilize it once it runs out of nutrients?
You can mix it with organic top soil hard to find this time of year but it’s doable. We have eco earth with some sand (to keep it from clumping and getting hard) and spagnum moss - the plants are all doing just fine. I myself was assuming the springtails and geckos kind of fertilize the soil.

And as mentioned above, the eco earth should be moist, but you also want some dry out periods. Too much humidity all of the time caused respitory issues lightly mist in the mornings and do a heavier misting at night.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
alright thats a bit of a relief to hear lol. i dont want to tear it all down and redo it especially since it took me an hour to do the first time.yeah i usually do a light misting in the mornings and a bit heavier misting at night, then let it dry in between.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DSC00031.JPG

any suggestions on how to make it look better/less empty? im thinking of replacing the vines with a magnetic one or a plant that is like a vine. not pothos though because i dont want it to block lighting and its not that common here. the current vines are a little hard to work with and dont look good in a sort of natural setup. also want to replace the hanging plants with something better. my prayer plant is a little big so i dont want a plant that is too bulky. not too sure what else to add because i like it but not fully yet

Aquilist

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'd add a peace lily, be sure to remove flowers. Parlour palms also do well, place one up the back to fill in space. English ivy would grow up those vines really well, along with ficus pumila, to add climbing plants. You could also attach a few air-plants or bromeliads to the background/vines. An anthurium would definitely fill in space.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
English ivy is safe for geckos? I can get the ivy because that kind is really easy to find here.

Aquilist

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yep! It's used in this satanic leaf-tailed gecko build!

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
oh thats cool! i will get some this weekend then!
DSC00042.JPG

DSC00040.JPG

DSC00039.JPG

got some plant growth so i must be doing something right lol, one flower bud, a few leaves and a branch..stem thing on the prayer plant.

just one new leaf for the Rattlesnake plant
DSC00041.JPG

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
got some organic soil and mixed it with the eco earth. although the dirt was literally frozen at the store because where they kept it wasnt heated or anything, the bag is also bigger then i would like so i guess i have a reason to get more planters....just need to find a spot to put it as it isnt resealable and i have cats (which isnt a mix) lol. while mixing the substrate i did move things around and made space for more plants.

the soil is peat based so it will also help to hold moisture which i think is great for the tank. will be going shopping for new plants this friday. hopefully i can find what i need/want. the springtails also seem to be doing well, they were all over the substrate as i was digging!

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
got new plants!
yesterday i picked up two new plants. one is a creeping fig and the other is a Nerve plants
DSC00072.JPG

i really love how the nerve plant looks. deep green with a vivid red/pink
DSC00073.JPG

i had this plant before, its easy to grow and is a great vine plant. i got a lot more then i already planted but trying to figure out where to putt the rest of them lol.
DSC00074.JPG

i put both plants all around the front, back and side but i did put a lot of the Figs around the log i have in there, so that they will hopefully use that to climb with

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That all looks amazing!

Aquilist

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Love the nerve plant!!

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aquilist said:
Love the nerve plant!!
right? its a really gorgeous plant, way better in person. i was surprised to see it at the garden centre. its a carpeting plant which is exactly what i needed, so hopefully it adjusts well to the environment. although taking them out of the pots werent fun because there was a worm (which i dont do well with) and a spider lol....

ive been thinking of adding magnetic planters so i can hang real plants instead of using fake. something like this but hopefully cheaper lol:

Aquilist

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think magnetic ledges will be a great idea, not only look fantastic but also provide more vertical space for your gecko! Just be sure that they are sturdy and can support a gecko leaping onto them.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i agree! i love the ledge i have right now that also holds the food and water because has really strong magnets and looks great just wish they were a bit cheaper haha. they are usually around $30-$60 here but is for sure worth it. just gotta wait for payday since i recently bought my brother a larger cage for his rat which wasnt cheap lol

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DSC00465.JPG

the creeping figs didnt last very long and i do have some nerve plants but they arent thriving
DSC00466.JPG

there is some new growth though so they arent completely unhappy lol. apparently there is one fig left

i was going to add other plants in there such as pothos but my prayer plant took over and i would feel bad if i transplanted some of them because they really love it in there. i went from 2 prayers to 5 prayers but havent gotten it to flower in there yet. the Rattlesnake plant is also doing well, is starting to get taller but hasnt multiplied yet.

im going to be removing the background and replacing it with magnetic ledges, maybe magnetic planters and fake plants like on the sides soon, hopefully next weekend when i go to store that carries those things. unless i make my own but i dont have any cork bark to use which i want to add to it because i cant find pieces i like lol but i will keep looking

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JamieXPXP said:
DSC00465.JPG

the creeping figs didnt last very long and i do have some nerve plants but they arent thriving
DSC00466.JPG

there is some new growth though so they arent completely unhappy lol. apparently there is one fig left

i was going to add other plants in there such as pothos but my prayer plant took over and i would feel bad if i transplanted some of them because they really love it in there. i went from 2 prayers to 5 prayers but havent gotten it to flower in there yet. the Rattlesnake plant is also doing well, is starting to get taller but hasnt multiplied yet.

im going to be removing the background and replacing it with magnetic ledges, maybe magnetic planters and fake plants like on the sides soon, hopefully next weekend when i go to store that carries those things. unless i make my own but i dont have any cork bark to use which i want to add to it because i cant find pieces i like lol but i will keep looking
If you have a reptile show in your area you can go to, look for piece of cork bark there. SO much cheaper than at local pet stores and you can ask the vendors if they have anything specific to what you’re looking for. And where in the tank do you have your nerve plant? I have one I’m growing out to eventually propagate and put in enclosures but I’ve noticed it absolutely hates light. It got about 5 minutes of strong indirect sunlight one time and it wilted to the ground. Took it away from the light and it shot back up in minutes. So you may just have to move it somewhere where it’s getting a lot less light. And I think you could add some pothos! I would take a vine of pothos that has some roots attached, plant it, and wrap it around the fake vines you have it there. They will eventually fill out the tank really nicely and you can cut them down if they overgrow.

But overall, wow!! Your tank looks awesome. I bet your gecko is living the life looks like it’s really thriving and I’m glad you’re having so much fun with it!

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BReefer97 said:
If you have a reptile show in your area you can go to, look for piece of cork bark there. SO much cheaper than at local pet stores and you can ask the vendors if they have anything specific to what you’re looking for. And where in the tank do you have your nerve plant? I have one I’m growing out to eventually propagate and put in enclosures but I’ve noticed it absolutely hates light. It got about 5 minutes of strong indirect sunlight one time and it wilted to the ground. Took it away from the light and it shot back up in minutes. So you may just have to move it somewhere where it’s getting a lot less light. And I think you could add some pothos! I would take a vine of pothos that has some roots attached, plant it, and wrap it around the fake vines you have it there. They will eventually fill out the tank really nicely and you can cut them down if they overgrow.

But overall, wow!! Your tank looks awesome. I bet your gecko is living the life looks like it’s really thriving and I’m glad you’re having so much fun with it!
i dont have any shows in my area at the moment but i will look around and see what if there will be any soon. i have the Nerve plant in the back where it gets a good amount of light so i might try moving it somewhere with a little more shade. oh! thats a good idea for the pothos, i will have to stop by the garden shop sometime soon then and hopefully they have some in stock if not i will have to wait until they do.

haha he seems to be enjoying it although he still prefers the fake plants to hide in but he isnt the best at hiding. its hard not to have fun with these sort of things because there is a lot you can do with them
DSC00463.JPG

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JamieXPXP said:
i dont have any shows in my area at the moment but i will look around and see what if there will be any soon. i have the Nerve plant in the back where it gets a good amount of light so i might try moving it somewhere with a little more shade. oh! thats a good idea for the pothos, i will have to stop by the garden shop sometime soon then and hopefully they have some in stock if not i will have to wait until they do.

haha he seems to be enjoying it although he still prefers the fake plants to hide in but he isnt the best at hiding. its hard not to have fun with these sort of things because there is a lot you can do with them
DSC00463.JPG
Before adding plants to your enclosure try acclimating them to the area the tank is in first we’ve were having loads of trouble getting things to survive long term in our tanks for quite a while, which is really frustrating because I like to consider myself pretty good with plants, but once I started letting them sit in their nursery pots for a while in areas by the tanks they did much better once I added them in. House plants seem to work best for me personally, outdoor plants seem to die off pretty quickly.

But definitely looks like he loves the heck of it! And hahah I know, you provide the geckos with all of these awesome live plants and hides..,and they choose to hang out anywhere but there. One of my tanks is full of foliage and hides but the gecko chooses to sit on the door of the glass; absolutely no where else. I take that as they feel extremely secure in their environment and feel no instinctual need to hide but others may say different.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom