Crested Gecko Setup

  • Thread starter

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Messages
3,649
Reaction score
1,547
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
Alrighty....ive been thinking of making my cresties tank bioactive but thought it was pointless to do it in a tank that he/she will outgrow.

so I'm going to be upgrading to a 18x18x18 zoomed, while I should get the 18x18x24 but I sadly can't get it so I got the second best option.

will be using the fake vines and plants from the current tank along with a few of my personal house plants.

going to be using my Prayer Plant, Rattle Snake Plant, Christmas Cactus for now until I get more in the spring, along with exo terra plantation soil with springtails

going to be getting this piece of wood as well, will get more hides, wood, etc as I go.
 

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Messages
3,406
Reaction score
2,165
Points
298
Experience
3 years
Sounds like fun!
Keep us updated.
My baby gecko is nearly an adult and I have to upgrade him too. But for now he is happy in his tank.
 
  • Thread starter

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Messages
3,649
Reaction score
1,547
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
it will for sure be a fun little project, pretty excited to get started but I feel like it will get expensive XD. this is all because I was at Big Al's a few days ago and saw all of their terrariums all setup and ended up getting inspired/motivated.
yeah he is definitely due for an upgrade soon lol,
 

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Messages
3,406
Reaction score
2,165
Points
298
Experience
3 years
JamieXPXP said:
it will for sure be a fun little project, pretty excited to get started but I feel like it will get expensive XD. this is all because I was at Big Al's a few days ago and saw all of their terrariums all setup and ended up getting inspired/motivated.
yeah he is definitely due for an upgrade soon lol,
Agree! Big Als always has something making us want to buy...
 
  • Thread starter

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Messages
3,649
Reaction score
1,547
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
right? there were a ton of things I wanted to buy; fish, shrimp, plants, new aquariums, etc. the only thing they were lacking were terrariums to buy because if they did have one I would have gotten it lol
 

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Messages
2,140
Reaction score
1,613
Points
213
Experience
2 years
Keep us updated! I’m excited!!

But the entire Christmas Cactus plant is toxic to crested geckos from what I can gather! It will probably also rot due to the high humidity in a gecko tank. Succulents and spineless cactuses generally don’t do well, you’ll want to get plants that can handle being watered often. The others will be fine especially the prayer plant, they look amazing in gecko tanks.
 
  • Thread starter

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Messages
3,649
Reaction score
1,547
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
BReefer97 said:
Keep us updated! I’m excited!!

But the entire Christmas Cactus plant is toxic to crested geckos from what I can gather! It will probably also rot due to the high humidity in a gecko tank. Succulents and spineless cactuses generally don’t do well, you’ll want to get plants that can handle being watered often. The others will be fine especially the prayer plant, they look amazing in gecko tanks.
really? everywhere was saying they were safe for geckos. yeah after looking into it a bit more research it looks like they likely won't do that well in the tank
 
  • Thread starter

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Messages
3,649
Reaction score
1,547
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
alright managed to get the exo terra 18x18x24 along with a few things. haven't gotten the springtails yet though
 
  • Thread starter

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Messages
3,649
Reaction score
1,547
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
the tank was way heavier then I thought it would be lol. I had to have my dad carry it into my room and my mom to lift it into the car.
 
  • Thread starter

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Messages
3,649
Reaction score
1,547
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
I ended up mixing eco earth and plantation soil because I didnt have enough of the Eco Earth left.
20190106_194104.jpg

my prayer plant is one of the plants I added into the tank. ended up with two as it apparently multiplied at some point lol
20190106_194111.jpg

RattleSnake plant also went in. its not very tall but is pretty bushy and has sturdy leaves.
20190106_194130.jpg

the wood I ordered came in as well. its not very big but is a great little climbing spot for him
20190106_194118.jpg

I kept the background it came with because I like it and I don't really want to build one at the moment. although the nose is broken but I like how it looks with the missing nose.
20190106_194215.jpg

here is the full setup right now. I'm fairly happy with it right now but I need to get better/more hiding spots for my crestie
 

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Messages
2,535
Reaction score
2,564
Points
298
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks great!!!!
 
  • Thread starter

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Messages
3,649
Reaction score
1,547
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
20190106_194320.jpg

here are the bulbs I currently have for the lamp. I might have to get better ones but these should be fine for a few days
20190106_194026.jpg

I did pick up a hide. its a moss hide that comes with chains to hang it but I don't know how to hang it and I don't have anything to put it up high without falling yet
20190106_194013.jpg

also picked up some repashy mango blend as that is the food I originally wanted to try out when I first got him but didnt know where to find it. luckily there is a reptile store called House of Scales which carries a bunch of reptiles and supplies (wish I knew about it when I was looking to buy a reptile lol). so far it has the best aroma out of the foods I currently have. smells wayy better and stronger then Pangeas Watermelon & Mango. there were a bunch of other blends that interested me but I controlled myself lol
20190106_194243.jpg

I managed to get a pic of him after I put him in his new home. He looks majestic XD although I did get a camera as well today so I will be able to get better pics in the future!
 
  • Thread starter

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Messages
3,649
Reaction score
1,547
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
DSC00019.JPG

managed to find better bulbs that shouldnt produce much heat today after work. hopefully the plants do well with it
 

nedpatrick

Well Known Member
Messages
744
Reaction score
226
Points
78
Experience
2 years
Tank looks great!! I switched 2 of my 6 terrariums to bioactive and my cresties love them!! Dracaena and Snake Plants make great plants for them my creative loves them and hiding in their leaves. For the lights make sure that the kelvin reading is at least 5000k normally I go with 6500k but I have had great luck with 5000k. As long as the light says “daylight” it should grow plants just fine. Another thing I’ve noticed for cresties is that they love cork tubes!! Mine is shaped like a huge tree trunk which my crestie loves!! You might want to consider a leaf litter layer if you’re going to add isopod gives them a little something extra to munch on and keeps your crestie from the soil
 

Aquilist

Well Known Member
Messages
599
Reaction score
354
Points
98
Experience
1 year
I love bioactive steups!! Check out serpadesign on youtube, he's done two great crested gecko bioactive setups!
 
  • Thread starter

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Messages
3,649
Reaction score
1,547
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
nedpatrick said:
Tank looks great!! I switched 2 of my 6 terrariums to bioactive and my cresties love them!! Dracaena and Snake Plants make great plants for them my creative loves them and hiding in their leaves. For the lights make sure that the kelvin reading is at least 5000k normally I go with 6500k but I have had great luck with 5000k. As long as the light says “daylight” it should grow plants just fine. Another thing I’ve noticed for cresties is that they love cork tubes!! Mine is shaped like a huge tree trunk which my crestie loves!! You might want to consider a leaf litter layer if you’re going to add isopod gives them a little something extra to munch on and keeps your crestie from the soil
thank you! bioactive tanks do seem popular with cresties haha plus it makes cleaning easier. alright my plants should be fine then since the bulbs are daylight LED 5000k with 1500 lumens. ive been looking for cork tubes and such but eveytime I go to a store that carries them, they are almost sold out XD. I won't be adding isopods right now maybe in the future, just springtails for now. I will order extra leaf litter next time I need more for me betta tank then

Aquilist said:
I love bioactive steups!! Check out serpadesign on youtube, he's done two great crested gecko bioactive setups!
same, they can look amazing if enough effort is put into them. oh thanks, I will have to check out some of his videos later
 
  • Thread starter

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Messages
3,649
Reaction score
1,547
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
springtails finally arrived. there were a few casualties but not a lot 99% lived, despite it being -10 degrees and lower. they came in a pretty big container as well so I got a lot of them for only $9.99 which is way cheaper then the place I was origionally going to order from. good thing too because the substrate was starting to grow some fuzz
DSC00028.JPG

also someone has settled into the new tank nicely. I was a little worried about him being stressed because he is still fairly small and its a much bigger tank but doesn't seem to be an issue thankfully.
DSC00026.JPG
 

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Messages
2,140
Reaction score
1,613
Points
213
Experience
2 years
JamieXPXP said:
springtails finally arrived. there were a few casualties but not a lot 99% lived, despite it being -10 degrees and lower. they came in a pretty big container as well so I got a lot of them for only $9.99 which is way cheaper then the place I was origionally going to order from. good thing too because the substrate was starting to grow some fuzz
DSC00028.JPG

also someone has settled into the new tank nicely. I was a little worried about him being stressed because he is still fairly small and its a much bigger tank but doesn't seem to be an issue thankfully.
DSC00026.JPG
Yay! The springtails should eat up that fuzzy mold in no time if it grows anywhere that the springtails can’t get to, remove it so it doesn’t spread. And after your gecko is done with its food - flip the dish over in the substrate so the springtails can eat at the rest. Once you have springtails established in one tank, you’ll never have to buy them again. They end up in enclosures we haven’t even put them in, and even our house plants haha. They’re astounding little kritters.
 
  • Thread starter

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Messages
3,649
Reaction score
1,547
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
BReefer97 said:
Yay! The springtails should eat up that fuzzy mold in no time if it grows anywhere that the springtails can’t get to, remove it so it doesn’t spread. And after your gecko is done with its food - flip the dish over in the substrate so the springtails can eat at the rest. Once you have springtails established in one tank, you’ll never have to buy them again. They end up in enclosures we haven’t even put them in, and even our house plants haha. They’re astounding little kritters.
yeah ive been removing bits of it but not too much. oh that's a good idea, with the food. I was thinking of using some of my fish food since I have a habit of collecting supplies lol. haha then I hope they manage to get established because they are useful little guys and hard to find surprisingly XD.
 
  • Thread starter

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Messages
3,649
Reaction score
1,547
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
oh I found a way to hang the moss hide. just used some zip ties I have for plants. will likely have to get stronger ones once he is bigger but will work for awhile
DSC00030.JPG
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom