Crested Gecko Set Up

aBettaNamedRoy
Are crested geckos good pets from your personal experience? I've been doing a lot of research on the subject lately, and on their care. I used to have gerbils, and though they were not rehomed, I had allergic reactions around them. After that experience, I've decided to take a break from furry critters and am diving into the world of reptiles.

I've found that the crested gecko is my ultimate pet. I have life-threatening food allergies to wheat, oat, barley, rye, peanuts, tree-nuts, dairy, eggs, shellfish, etc., so finding a pet whose food would not cause me to suffer seriously adverse reactions was rare. With all my rodents, I used to make food, but it was always stressful to make sure it contained the right balance of nutrients. Even many reptiles should be fed mealworms on a daily basis, and as they're often packed in a grain-meal, it's a no-go for these.

However, crested geckos can eat a "safe" diet! Repashy Crested Gecko MRP is the best bet, as it's entirely safe. A couple times a month, I would feed it crickets dusted in calcium. I plan on omitting any lighting fixtures, but, as my room gets pretty cold, adding a heating pad against the outside glass next to an interior ledge, where he/she can go if feeling especially chilly. I'll mist the tank, and outfit it with proper climbing fixtures, atop using coconut fiber substrate (after paper towels for the first few weeks) for the floor. I've already purchased a 20 gallon long tank just because I didn't want to miss out on the dollar per gallon sale at Petco.

If you have any personal experiences with crested geckos, please share them! I've heard the facts, but I'd love to know exactly what it's like to have one, because as they can live up to fifteen or twenty years, it's a big decision for me. Also, where would be the best place to purchase a crested gecko? I'm discouraged from chain stores like Petco. and Petsmart, just because of the conditions I have seen their animals in. We have a Dave's Soda and Pet City near me, but I'm still on the fence. Preferably I would like a juvenile, but I ultimately would like one that's healthy, no matter the age. Would a breeder be the best option? Any thoughts?

(I know this isn't exactly the place to ask for reptile advice, but I thought I'd throw it out there for some opinions about these little guys...)
Thanks!

Fanatic
Yes, they are good pets.

They can eat a variety of bugs, and different type of insects. I recommend keeping them in a tank that is tall, so if it's possible you will need to turn the 20 gallon long on its side so that it is tall.

They need vertical space, they climb.

You should definitely get them from a breeder, that is the best choice.

GlamCrab
They are good pets, but they jump. When they are young they are skittish and try to leap out of your hands. Always keep an eye on them so you don't loose them. They are also noctural so they will hide all day.
If when loose their tail it never grows back.

Just some other things to consider. They make great pets but aren't for everyone since they jump (it startles poeple)

Kellye8498

4E644F8B-21AF-478D-B84E-C95236A40EE3.jpeg
A79B7133-7A75-4008-8E28-6FDB91A11941.jpeg I have a crestie and I love it. It’s a baby so I don’t handle it yet because even though a frog butt crestie is adorable I would like it to keep its tail for as long as possible lol. I would recommend feeding Pangea over Repashy if it doesn’t contain anything you can’t be around. It’s much healthier and a complete diet that contains all minerals and calcium as well and they love it!

emmysjj
Planning to get one soon (this june) so ill come back to this thread!

aBettaNamedRoy
In all honesty that's the cutest baby crestie I've seen yet... Kellye8498

Fanatic The tank will be set up vertically. I'm also planning on getting a screen cover that has a small door on it, so that I can access the tank. I was thinking along the same lines for where to get it; a breeder definitely sounds like the best option.

GlamCrab Yeah, I don't think I would advise my mom or little sister to hold it if I got one, as they both startle easily. When I had a dwarf hamster many years back I allowed a visiting neighbor to hold it, and it squirmed. She got startled and dropped it... onto a hard floor. The hamster seemed okay, but I'm not making that mistake again...

emmysjjAwesome, and good luck! I hope all goes well!

Kellye8498
In all honesty that's the cutest baby crestie I've seen yet... Kellye8498

Thank you

I also forgot to answer some of your questions lol. I got too excited about sharing my baby! I would recommend getting your crestie from a breeder or reptile expo just because you know your animal will be healthy and bred for the best genes which is important even if you aren’t breeding them. My current vivarium is the size of a 10 gallon on its side so it isn’t too big for my little one and I don’t have to worry that my baby can’t find its food but as it grows I will upgrade enclosure sizes. I am going to make a nicer vivarium so it is bioactive which is even better because I won’t have to clean it. That’s what the springtails are for lol! There will be a waterfall for humidity and a log bridge for wandering around on and climbing.

Advertisement
trash.binh91
aBettaNamedRoy you should watch one of Taylor Nicole Dean’s tutorials, she has two cresties.

aBettaNamedRoy
Kellye8498 That sounds great! I'm sure he/she will love it!
There is an huge upcoming reptile expo under three hours from where I live. It is held around the beginning of June. As long as I have to means to transport the little guy home while keeping him/her comfortable, that would probably be my best option.

Kellye8498
Oops

Kellye8498 That sounds great! I'm sure he/she will love it!
There is an huge upcoming reptile expo under three hours from where I live. It is held around the beginning of June. As long as I have to means to transport the little guy home while keeping him/her comfortable, that would probably be my best option.
They will put them in a little delI cup for you with some paper towel and possibly a little fake plant to climb on to keep them happy while you take them home. One guy around here (my breeder) gives you a free kritter keeper with hides and climbing stuff for the babies which they can stay in for a few months as well so it’s like they go home in their actual home for awhile anyway.

aBettaNamedRoy
Thanks trash.binh91 !
I already have! I really like how responsible she is in her animal keeping, and how she always gives her pets what they need even outside the boundaries of basic necessity. I'll definitely give them a watch a couple more times, though. They contain great info!

trash.binh91
Thanks trash.binh91 !
I already have! I really like how responsible she is in her animal keeping, and how she always gives her pets what they need even outside the boundaries of basic necessity. I'll definitely give them a watch a couple more times, though. They contain great info!
do you have a basic layout yet

aBettaNamedRoy
Kellye8498 Thanks! That's really helpful. It's always great to see breeders who are so dedicated and responsible with their animals!

trash.binh91 I have a 20 gallon long tank which I plan on facing vertically. I still have to get the rest, which will include multiple limbs/logs to climb on, as well as leaf and vine decorations (all from a pet store, of course). I wish I could do live plants, but as I kill any houseplants I touch, it may not be the best idea for a healthy habitat. I'd add some ledges and accessible, hanging feeding dishes, as I hear they often do not come down to floor level. A heating pad and humidity/temp. readers will be added. My room has pretty good lighting, so I'm excluding a lighting fixture. I'm planning on using paper towels for the first few weeks to ensure the gecko is regular, then I'll replace it with a coconut fiber substrate.

In short, I only have the tank, but will be adding a lot of other common necessities before I get the gecko. I'm planning on potentially getting one in early June/late May, if all goes well.

Kellye8498
Here are some pics of my (very) temporary setup. Next week I will be getting everything I need to properly set up my enclosures for this one as well as my mourning gecko.
CD868174-92DA-4F6B-BCFB-6F28D1B146CD.jpeg
8BF8D657-E106-49C1-87BD-2928114B75DB.jpeg
A7517C6D-65D7-4FCE-B84C-32D575E13CB6.jpeg

The foam pieces can reach upward a lot more but I chose to keep them low for now because my baby is still quite small. They get lost easily at this size and can dehydrate or starve if that happens.

aBettaNamedRoy
I was thinking of slowly adding in decor as it gets older (if it is a juvenile), make even starting out horizontally with lots of climbing fixtures depending on the age of the gecko when I get it (if it's a really little baby it may make things more compact).
What is your gecko's name, or are you waiting to name it until his/her gender is clear? Kellye8498

Kellye8498
I was thinking of slowly adding in decor as it gets older (if it is a juvenile), make even starting out horizontally with lots of climbing fixtures depending on the age of the gecko when I get it (if it's a really little baby it may make things more compact).
What is your gecko's name, or are you waiting to name it until his/her gender is clear? Kellye8498
I’m waiting. It’s dads name is heintz because he fires up bright red so I’m waiting to see what his baby looks like as a fired up adult along with knowing the sex. I also have a diablo blanco leopard gecko I have yet to name which was temp incubated to be a girl but that doesn’t necessarily mean it WILL be a girl.

GrayGray4231
aBettaNamedRoy you should watch one of Taylor Nicole Dean’s tutorials, she has two cresties.
I love Taylor Nicole Dean's videos!

Advertisement
emmysjj
Watching Taylor now! New vid out!

trash.binh91
emmysjj
Lol, her snakes 'do things'

GrayGray4231
emmysjj
Here:

GrayGray4231
THANK YOU!!

trash.binh91
Watching it right now, and omg, is that. A. New. Snake

Snakes thinking , is that a new snake

aBettaNamedRoy
I love her hognose snake! Hey, do you all wanted to start a chat thread about her videos?
trash.binh91 GrayGray4231 emmysjj

trash.binh91
I love her hognose snake! Hey, do you all wanted to start a chat thread about her videos?
YESSSSS, or should we have a converstion

aBettaNamedRoy
Okay everybody; here's an update! I talked to my mom (I'm a minor so I need permission for pets) and she agreed to take me to the regional reptile expo! It's just short of three hours away, and in early June, so despite the long drive transportation for the new gecko will be ideal (good temperature, humid). She says that I may not get a gecko there, and that it would be "just to look". However, if we're driving three hours away to an annual event, not to mention it being the best place to get a gecko, I think the outlook is very good.

I'm also starting a Taylor Nicole Dean thread, to prevent getting off topic (I have mod-phobia)... I'll tag you all!

Also trash.binh91 a conversation is a good idea, but how do you do that? I only know how to make forums so far...

Advertisement
stella1979
Oh! I hope you get the gecko at the expo!!! Definitely the best option Mom.

I'm a big fan of Solid Gold / Jenny... I don't have amphibians or reptiles, but my heart melted a little bit yesterday when I saw her new leopard gecko.

GrayGray4231
YES!

trash.binh91
Okay everybody; here's an update! I talked to my mom (I'm a minor so I need permission for pets) and she agreed to take me to the regional reptile expo! It's just short of three hours away, and in early June, so despite the long drive transportation for the new gecko will be ideal (good temperature, humid). She says that I may not get a gecko there, and that it would be "just to look". However, if we're driving three hours away to an annual event, not to mention it being the best place to get a gecko, I think the outlook is very good.

I'm also starting a Taylor Nicole Dean thread, to prevent getting off topic (I have mod-phobia)... I'll tag you all!

Also trash.binh91 a conversation is a good idea, but how do you do that? I only know how to make forums so far...
you have to get to 51 post first, 8 left to go

aBettaNamedRoy
Ah that makes sense! Thanks!

aBettaNamedRoy
UPDATE: I have purchased all I need for the entire set up! I'm heading to a regional reptile expo on May 25th to pick out a gecko!

Fanatic
UPDATE: I have purchased all I need for the entire set up! I'm heading to a regional reptile expo on May 25th to pick out a gecko!

Great!

BReefer97
My boyfriend and I breed crested geckos, they’re wonderful pets. Definitely need a tall tank, 12x12x18 is usually the minimum for a single adult. Do not cohabitat any geckos, as that is only for experienced crested owners.

How cold does it get at night in your house because usually a heater of any sort isn’t necessary, they do well at room temperature. Also in response to someone saying to buy one at a reptile expo because they’re usually reputable breeders - I would have to say that’s unfortunately extremely false. We recently purchased a baby from an expo that was apparently only ever fed baby food (has no calcium or nutrients that they need) and he/she has extreme issues with shedding because of it. A cousin of my boyfriends bought one from the same breeder and it ended up passing away after losing all of it’s toes (nothing we could do, the shed wouldn’t come off for anything). This is because crested geckos are so easy to breed that everyone thinks they can do it and make a lot of cash off of it. So when buying one please make sure you ask what they’ve been being fed (should either be repashy or pangea, NOTHING else is acceptable).

Have you thought about doing a bioactive tank after you’ve monitored it on paper towels for a while? It’s a great option because you really never need to clean the tank, just wipe down the glass every so often. To make it bioactive you would need isopods or tropical springtails as a clean up crew. When setting up your tank I would add a drainage layer of hydroballs (clay balls) at the bottom, then a layer of mesh, and then your substrate. This helps hold humidity in, which is essential especially for a 20 gallon long converted tank

I’ll include some pictures of our set ups, including a picture of what a drainage layer should look like (it’s in the baby’s grow out tank so I used gravel as opposed to clay balls, you would want clay balls as it’s much much lighter than gravel). Also threw in some pictures of some of our geckos, the one shedding is the one that has issues because of being fed baby food.

Attachments

• C08E3FEA-DB73-456C-A701-06292AEB9DFD.jpeg
    C08E3FEA-DB73-456C-A701-06292AEB9DFD.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 26CAD2A4-0126-44C1-AE0A-5AFE055A9618.jpeg
    26CAD2A4-0126-44C1-AE0A-5AFE055A9618.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 12A7F7DF-0388-49DF-A5C8-17088068E082.jpeg
    12A7F7DF-0388-49DF-A5C8-17088068E082.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 85EA18D4-1210-4CB1-A230-B119E39F2CE2.png
    85EA18D4-1210-4CB1-A230-B119E39F2CE2.png
    431.8 KB · Views: 110
  • F3E9A090-861C-4A1F-81D7-BAB38AAF55C5.jpeg
    F3E9A090-861C-4A1F-81D7-BAB38AAF55C5.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 92
  • F5D08D8C-A3BF-47CD-A57F-CBF5A1E86D11.jpeg
    F5D08D8C-A3BF-47CD-A57F-CBF5A1E86D11.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 101
  • 680026AB-AE3A-4004-9C2D-A85379CAB2FC.jpeg
    680026AB-AE3A-4004-9C2D-A85379CAB2FC.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 100
  • A0996313-DD77-4F07-92D0-9F299D980E01.jpeg
    A0996313-DD77-4F07-92D0-9F299D980E01.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 93043215-CFC7-4BA8-815B-AC553C577029.jpeg
    93043215-CFC7-4BA8-815B-AC553C577029.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 100
wodesorel
Have you checked all the ingredients in the CGD to make sure it will be safe? I only mention it because I know what it's like to be allergic to everything. I've had to completely avoid a few of the Repashy and Pangea powders because of adverse reactions, and I have to wear gloves with a couple of the others.

aBettaNamedRoy
BReefer97 Well, it turns out I had missed the expo anyway. They changed the date last minute, and I was unable to go. Luckily, I found a young male gecko from the breeder Fringemorphs. They are extremely dedicated, and their customer service is fantastic! I was able to track down my gecko's parentage, and both of his parents appear very healthy. I'm super happy with the breeder so far, all seems to be going well. You have beautiful geckos as well!

Yep, I've done quite a bit of research on bioactive vivariums. I'm in the process of constructing one, and have bought some live plants and springtails to add in. For my substrate I'm using a mix of natural and organic potting soil (it contains bioavailable but natural compost), coconut fiber, sphagnum moss, and potentially some aspen chips. My room gets around 57 during the day in winter; I bundle up but bought a backup heating pad for the cold weeks. He's also getting crickets a few times a month, dusted in calcium, and Repashy MRP regularly.

wodesorel Yup. Definitely checked well. The ones with highlighted flavors (ie. Banana MRP, Mango MRP) contain egg and I believe wheat bran, which wouldn't end well. The one I'm getting is entirely safe. If you want to know what kind (sounds like we have similar allergies) I'd be happy to give you more specifics!

Oh, and here's the little guy!

gecko.jpg

I'll continue to post as I complete the terrarium. When my gecko comes, I'll send in some videos and pictures for you guys. But, in the meantime, any good name ideas?

Here's two I've come up with:
Sobek
Loki

Obviously I haven't come up with too many so I would love some suggestions! Thanks!

trash.binh91
Shadow Eye. That’s an amazing gecko.

Hope he doesn’t drop his tail! Best of luck to you!

aBettaNamedRoy
Thanks trash.binh91 ! Sorry about neglecting the group chat lately, I've been really busy.

I'm going to post some pictures of his terrarium later today. He is arriving tomorrow morning!!!!!

I decided to make a bioactive vivarium with springtails and live plants, and it has finally gotten established. It looks great, but I can't seem to find the springtails... I'm hoping that they have just dispersed themselves throughout the vivarium, and that they haven't died.

BReefer97
For the colder days I would get a ceramic heat emitter with a thermostat instead of a heating pad, it disperses the heat throughout the tank more evenly as opposed to heating one flat area. You could use the heat pad until you can get ahold of a ceramic heat emitter but I would still use it with a thermostat to regulate the temperature.

JamieXPXP
Alrighty....ive been thinking of making my cresties tank bioactive but thought it was pointless to do it in a tank that he/she will outgrow.

so I'm going to be upgrading to a 18x18x18 zoomed, while I should get the 18x18x24 but I sadly can't get it so I got the second best option.

will be using the fake vines and plants from the current tank along with a few of my personal house plants.

going to be using my Prayer Plant, Rattle Snake Plant, Christmas Cactus for now until I get more in the spring, along with exo terra plantation soil with springtails

going to be getting this piece of wood as well, will get more hides, wood, etc as I go.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Megabeth
Replies
Views
Fanatic
Replies
Views
Aureus
Replies
Views