creek gravel

Snowdrop

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was wondering if I would be safe to get some gavel from a creek and boil it and put it in my fish tank.

baseballlover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm no fish expert, but it seems fine to me.

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe you would treat gravel from rivers and creeks the same as sand and that would be not to use it. It might contain oils or fertilizers that could leech into the tank.

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just put some gravel from a local beach into my tank, boiled it for a longtime first. I haven't put any fish in yet but I think it should be fine as well...test your water for a few days first before adding fish would be my suggestion.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It depends on the river/lake that it comes from. If there is any chance a all that it is polluted with oils, fertilizer run off or any other nasties it's best to give it a miss. You need to carefully research the history of the place you want to take the gravel from & you need to check what the land surrounding the river is used for. Don't just check the immediate area, check from the source down to where you want to collect from.

Quite honestly it would be easier just to pay for suitable gravel.

Snowdrop

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
allright, thanks! I'll just buy some gravel because some of the water in the creek runs off a feild that gets fertilized.

Theepum

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nutter said:
Quite honestly it would be easier just to pay for suitable gravel.
its the safer route, but its also hard to drop 50 bucks on something you can get for free... i'm going to do the same thing, not for substrate though, bigger rocks and driftwood for caves...

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pea gravel is a safe alternative (just rinse it really well). You can get it for $3.00-$4.00 for a 50lb bag.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads