creative GBR?

lilsoccakid
hey every1! my GBR's have been breeding, but since I haven't had any lucky with getting their eggs to survive, I gave up breeding them for now, and am letting them do their own thing.

I was shocked when I found that they have up their old spot. I walked by and found my male GBR digging through my java moss (huge thick square of it on top of rocks, about 8''x8'') and made a little cave! the next day I found eggs inside this java moss cave, which goes probably 5 inches deep!

has anyone heard of this? I'm proud of my GBR's!

susitna-flower
Cool,,,,no I haven't heard of this....Do you know what has been the problem up to now with survival? Are the Ghost Shrimp eating the eggs?

lilsoccakid
I found that by the 3rd day, the eggs just seemed to dissapear, I think it was the corys. today I hav fry though, and nobody is bugging them, and I'm feding BBS and first bites

susitna-flower
COOL...your java moss didn't eat your GBRs....

I admire anyone who successfully breeds egg layers. Just keeping GBRs is a test of skill.

lilsoccakid
thanks! I hope that I can get some survivors, I'm feeding them 5 times a day with a mix of first bites and BBS

COBettaCouple
Congrats and best of luck with the fry.

miker
That's awesome. Keep us posted!!

MissMTS
Congrats! I hope that they survive

lilsoccakid
wow I really screwed up I can't believe how stupid I am, ill never forgive myself

I put up my tank divider, thinking it would be great cause the GBR and fry would hav a good 20-25 gallons to themself.

I didnt think, and left the room. I came back and only about5 of the 60 fry were still on that side. I didnt knwo they could fit through the tiny holes in the divider to provide circulation now the parents are trying to find their fry

they wouldve probably been fine but I had to be an idiot and put up the stupid divider, I'm an idiot

maybe they will hav another batch of fry, and I won't screw it up

COBettaCouple
I'd move the fish out of the other side into a covered container with tank water so you can search for the fry.. there could be some hiding.

susitna-flower
Just read this......did you find them?

lilsoccakid
I found a couple and got them back with the parents. most of them got eaten though looks like only about 10 were found by me or the GBR's total. I feel so bad, I thought the wall would help them, I didnt know the fry would all try to get through it

maybe these 10 will be alright. if it, at least I know wat to do next time

COBettaCouple
I'm sorry you lost the others, but best of luck with the 10 that you have.

voiceless_kat
I am so sorry you lost some fry. Good luck with the ones you found. Remember, your GBR's got creative and overcame adversity once, hopefully it will happen again.

Val

lilsoccakid
update time!

I let them try to do their own thing with the babies, but after a couple days they get to big for the parents to keep up with, and end up getting eaten

they are protecting the eggs now, and I plan on taking the big tube of the end of my syphon, so its very strong, to suck the babies into a bucket, and eventually into my breeding net

ill put up pictures if it works!

COBettaCouple
Good luck and I hope you'll get lots of fry from them.

lilsoccakid
UPDATE: the fry are free-swimming today!

I made a little change on the tank divider, and put the fry far away from it. I have 3 neons and 4 platys in a 15-20 gallon section.(put some plants and a cave in to help them). the GBR's along with their 100 fry are in the 40 gallon section with just the otos and the corys. I fed them a mix of frozen baby brine shrimp and first bites

camera isn't working right now, ill try to get pics up!

lilsoccakid
wow, I fed the babies, left the room for less than a minute, and came back to a dead mother GBR I don't know what happened, it was only 20 seconds I was gone

I'm in shock right now

mlinden84
Oh no! I am so sorry!!

lilsoccakid
I don't get it. does anybody hav an explanation for what happened? I don't think the fry could hav caused something, and I literally turned my back for 2 minutes. they were both sitting with the fry, they 2 minutes later she was laying dead on the java moss. the dad doesn't know what's going on.

this is really the worst thing that could have ever happened. this is my last chance to get a successful breeding from them I guess, cause the mom isn't alive

COBettaCouple
:'( I'm so sorry that you lost her. I can't think of anything other than an attack from another fish to explain what happened.

lilsoccakid
ive never seen anything like this. they were isolated, so no other fish were in the tank

I have at least 20 fry in a breeder net that are doing pretty good though! I'm working so hard to keep them alive, because this is my last chance to carry on their family

when they are big enough to get a picture of, ill post some pics!

slakey
Any new news yet?

Also what's best would a 9gal minI pentagon be big enough for a pair of rams to breed?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DarkOne
Replies
Views
jkkgron2
Replies
Views
DuchessNeeka
Replies
Views