Creative Cold Water Cuc

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Rtessy, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

I'd love some suggestions for a unique type cold water clean up crew, year round the coldest it gets is 66 and the warmest is around 73. I currently have a goldfish, but I believe he is permanently stunted at 4.5 inches. He is housed (well he's in QT for now, but...) With an amano shrimp and they were getting along fine, the amano would still perch on decorations as he swam by. Also, there are some ramshorns and my goldfish will eat the ones around 1/8 of an inch, but leaves the ones 1/4-1/2 inch alone. My water is pretty acidic and soft out of the tap, but I have some slate in the tank that makes it 7.4 pH, gH 7 kH 5. Virtually no nitrates, it barely ever even reaches 5, I think because I have tons of anacharis. So I'm basically looking for something that tolerates this type of water, cold temperatures, is preferably 1/2" or larger, and will not harm the amano, snails, and most importantly, my fish. I was kind of considering dwarf mexican crayfish, but didn't want it to eat the snail. Are there any that don't eat snails? Sorry for the wall of text, and thanks!
    Edit: it's a 60 gallon

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Why do you need a CUC?

3. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

I guess I don't really know, I am just kind of looking for something else that's pretty small and doesn't contribute much to the bioload, and I'm partial to inverts and most of those guys I've seen classified as a cuc. I don't really want fish, even smaller ones, just because I'm worried about potential issues with them, so I guess what I was looking for seems to be regarded more as a clean up crew, but I'm open to a lot of stuff. And my LFS can get basically anything from horn sharks to high quality discus, so I'm not worried about more exotic things

4. TexasDomer

Nothing will really clean the tank for you though, so there's not really a true CUC. They will usually need to be fed their own diet and will poop, adding to your waste. If there's leftover food in the tank, feed less.

That being said, some people have had luck keeping goldies with mystery snails, nerites, and ghost shrimp (though the shrimp may become snacks).

5. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

I know cleaning the tank is me and my gravel vac's job, lol, but I get where you're coming from, I do see a lot of people expecting something to eat all the crud. I did try a handful of ghost shrimp, but I think it got too cold for them, they didn't do too well. I'm assuming most shrimp are okay, since the amano is only about an inch, inch and a quarter and he's been fine for a few weeks. I worry about nerites because of the temperature, but I did have a mystery for a while (he's in my shrimp tank now), that might be worth trying again.

6. TexasDomer

The water isn't too cold for ghost shrimp, but they don't often come from the store very healthy.

7. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

Yeah, they're not in the best shape, and granted I did get these from Petco, so not the best stock. But when I got them, I split the group into two, one went in a heated tank, the other into the cold tank, and the warm one had 4/6 live while the cold one didn't have any live, but it was a smaller group of 3

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice