Creative center piece fish and double checking stock

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Paigee, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Paigee

PaigeeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    2 years
    Hi all, I have been thinking the last couple days about the stocking future of my tank, including what my center piece fish should be.

I originally planned on getting a DG, but I was wondering if anyone has a more "creative" idea? Everyone seems to go for a DG, I'm thinking I might go for something different. I have a 29G tank, by the way.

I currently have 8 neons, 1 serpae, 1 female guppy, 3 amanos and 2 nerites. I'm thinking my final stocking will look something like this:

8 neons
    4-5 serpaes
    1 guppy
    Amanos
    2 nerites
    5-6 corys
    Center piece??

Also, I wasn't sure if nerites contributed to the bioload? I know shrimp don't unless you have extremely high numbers, but I was unsure of the nerites.

All thoughts are welcome :) Thanks!:;cr

2. AlyeskaGirl

AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +256
    Hmmm.....Serpae Tetras have the reputation as being fin-nippers & are active. Might not be a good idea to keep Neons & a Guppys with these guys.

As a centerpiece fish...what pops into my mind is a Pearl Gourmai or an Angelfish. But for Angelfish, Neons are their main source of food in the wild. Raising them together as I understand works well though.

3. fishyfishyfishy13

fishyfishyfishy13Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    5 years
    i think an angel would really bring that tank together

4. OP
    OP
    Paigee

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    2 years
    I have never had a problem with the serpae nipping the guppy, and the neons only nip amongst themselves, but thanks for the tip.

I'm not sure that I would want to risk bringing an angel in that will eat the neons... That is a little too risky for me. I'm attached to the little guys and wouldn't want any disasters!

5. OP
    OP
    Paigee

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    2 years
    So I've had a thought!

I'm thinking about maybe not adding to the serpae school, he doesn't seem too stressed, and schools with the neons.

Also, what about a cockatoo cichlid added to the mix? I think I saw them at the LFS, if not, might be able to order them. Would that work with my mix of fish? And then I would ditch getting a center piece fish? I would be happy to make a cockatoo my center piece, even if he wants to hide.

Thanks for any suggestions :)

6. Borisbbadd

BorisbbaddGuest

Ratings:
    +0
    How about a yellow gourami as a centerpiece fish ?

7. OP
    OP
    Paigee

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    2 years
    Hmm I'm thinking about going back to the gourami idea, I just saw something on a website that said the cockatoos will try and eat the feelers off of snails... Don't want that!