Creative center piece fish and double checking stock

Paigee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
HI all, I have been thinking the last couple days about the stocking future of my tank, including what my center piece fish should be.

I originally planned on getting a DG, but I was wondering if anyone has a more "creative" idea? Everyone seems to go for a DG, I'm thinking I might go for something different. I have a 29G tank, by the way.

I currently have 8 neons, 1 serpae, 1 female guppy, 3 amanos and 2 nerites. I'm thinking my final stocking will look something like this:

8 neons
4-5 serpaes
1 guppy
Amanos
2 nerites
5-6 corys
Center piece??

Also, I wasn't sure if nerites contributed to the bioload? I know shrimp don't unless you have extremely high numbers, but I was unsure of the nerites.

All thoughts are welcome Thanks!

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Hmmm.....Serpae Tetras have the reputation as being fin-nippers & are active. Might not be a good idea to keep Neons & a Guppys with these guys.

As a centerpiece fish...what pops into my mind is a Pearl GourmaI or an Angelfish. But for Angelfish, Neons are their main source of food in the wild. Raising them together as I understand works well though.

OP
Paigee

Paigee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have never had a problem with the serpae nipping the guppy, and the neons only nip amongst themselves, but thanks for the tip.

I'm not sure that I would want to risk bringing an angel in that will eat the neons... That is a little too risky for me. I'm attached to the little guys and wouldn't want any disasters!

OP
Paigee

Paigee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I've had a thought!

I'm thinking about maybe not adding to the serpae school, he doesn't seem too stressed, and schools with the neons.

Also, what about a cockatoo cichlid added to the mix? I think I saw them at the LFS, if not, might be able to order them. Would that work with my mix of fish? And then I would ditch getting a center piece fish? I would be happy to make a cockatoo my center piece, even if he wants to hide.

Thanks for any suggestions

OP
Paigee

Paigee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hmm I'm thinking about going back to the gouramI idea, I just saw something on a website that said the cockatoos will try and eat the feelers off of snails... Don't want that!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom