Creating and stocking a heavily planted 2.5 gallon tank?

Shrimpitos

Hello! New here so still working on how to use the forums and asking questions,,

Anyways was wondering if I could get help on a tank I’m planning to redo. I have a Fluval betta premium tank left after unfortunately the betta I had there pass away. After cleaning the tank thoroughly I decided to try to redo the tank for neocaridinia shrimp. Going to go for more heavily planted tank. I was wondering however if it was possible to add any other fish or just stick to shrimp for this one once the tank is cycled. If it’s possible what fish would you best recommend? It’s 2.6 gallons and I know that can be pretty small for most fish so,,

I’m still fairly new to smaller and planted tanks but hoping to give it a go. Research both on google and YouTube has given me many mixed signals as some say not to and others say you can, especially with clown killifish which was one of my thoughts for the tank.

Any help would be appreciated and thank you!

Sewerrat

I personally wouldn't do fish in a 2.5 gallon with shrimp. only kind I can think of that might be okay in tank that size would be a betta (if your experienced and willing to do a lot if water changes) plus you would have to hope you get one that isn't aggressive.

PeterFishKeepin

In 2.5gal tank you could do a solo betta OR a shrimp/snail only tank otherwise upgrade to a 5gal-10gal tank and you may be able to stock with some small micro fish.

JustAFishServant

I personally would never suggest a betta for 2.6 gallons or honestly even 5 gallons, not just high bioload issues (carnivores make a lot of waste), but also for boredom. Intelligence bores. Neons are fine where nothing ever changes but a betta is a different story. That's why if a betta allows, I always suggest tankmates since they keep each other company, live plants for exploring, a varied diet and frequent greetings. And in my opinion, a 2.6 gallon tank doesn't allow that, not to mention the bettas need long tanks, not tall ones.

Some say microrasboras do fine in a 2.6 gal and though that might be true, the large groups they require could prove an issue. I don't think I'd put 10 exclamation point rasboras in a tank below 5 gallons, let alone 2.6 - so needless to say I think we should rethink stocking. Neocaridina are fine for your tank, so are most snails. I'd say a clown killifish pair are an option too. I wouldn't suggest a pea puffer for such a small tank not for space, but for bioload this time. The constant live snail prey will overload your tank in no-time. Guppies, danios or platies are too active for such a small tank but a couple of endlers might be an option. Mosquitofish are one of my favorite "minnows" - they thrived and bred in a 2.5 so a 2.6 should be alright. Snails of course are an option unless the tank is "too healthy" with lots of detritus to graze on and they overload your tank. Other than those I can't say I have other ideas. I had a betta and 5 kuhlis in a 2.5 as I fostered them but it obviously wasn't permanent. Surprisingly they did well but I wouldn't risk it. I'm sure the bioload in that tank was huge with the frequent tests and WCs I did.

Overall there are definitely options for a tank like this, just got to dig for them. Fish don't live in the sky - they don't need height but length. Some are more tolerant of this like endlers and shrimp but most aren't. Choosing an option for such a weird tank (both size and height) doesn't allow options except a select few. A right choice is imperative.

airfix2

Dario Dario is another option. theyre like bettas and they are really small, but thing is they are finicky eaters.

Racing1113

I have clown killies in a 15 gallon and they’re actually pretty active, they use most of the tank

Shrimpitos

Thank you all so much for the help! I think I’ll go the safer option with just keeping shrimp in this tank. I was wondering if maybe then I could add a Pom Pom crab? Saw one of these little guys at the store with a couple of them but wonder if it’s a good idea in this tank. Thanks!

JustAFishServant

I was wondering if maybe then I could add a Pom Pom crab? Saw one of these little guys at the store with a couple of them but wonder if it’s a good idea in this tank. Thanks!
Pom pom crabs are one of my favorite critters but they require very clean, stable parameters. In other words, an established tank. As long as you keep on top of maintenance I say do it, do it, do it! :D

ProudPapa

Pom pom crabs are one of my favorite critters but they require very clean, stable parameters. In other words, an established tank. As long as you keep on top of maintenance I say do it, do it, do it! :D

Shrimp also do much better in well established tanks. In fact, if Shrimpitos had asked first, I would have strongly recommended not cleaning the tank after the betta died, but leave it alone instead. As far as I know there aren't any diseases or parasites that affect shrimp and fish. Also, the shrimp need the biofilm to graze on, and a thorough cleaning likely removed most or all of it.

My advice would be to let the tank run for several months before adding the shrimp. A snail or two now would be a good idea, however.

Since you're new to keeping shrimp you might get some helpful information by reading Neocaridina (Red Cherry Shrimp) Basics - Aquarium Article.

JustAFishServant

Shrimp also do much better in well established tanks. In fact, if Shrimpitos had asked first, I would have strongly recommended not cleaning the tank after the betta died, but leave it alone instead. As far as I know there aren't any diseases or parasites that affect shrimp and fish. Also, the shrimp need the biofilm to graze on, and a thorough cleaning likely removed most or all of it.
I actually said that in my post but Fishlore's been deleting parts of my comments for some reason and I have no idea why...it rarely happens too :confused:

Aaronious

most fish shouldn't go in anything smaller than 5g. Betta I think should really go in a 10g in my opinion especially if you don't have much experience with planted tanks or betta or just aquariums in general.

If you are going to, there are smaller betta types that exist, I have done it with these guys and even a normal betta. The smaller guys did well, the normal sized betta murdered everything in one night, it was his like 4th night oddly enough. He murdered everything tho. corpses everywhere....

Female betta are an option, tend to be less aggressive. But they get the same size and also should go in something larger than 5g in my opinion.

Maybe something like a Scarlet Badis or something in a planted 2.5, but they are predator fish and require live/frozen foods. So definitely suggest experience with those foods before even planning a tank like this.

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom