Creating a freshwater reef!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Fibsog, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Fibsog

Fibsog New Member Member

After all my plants mysteriously died, i have decided to turn away from plants, in the 10g at least. Instead, i am going to add fake coral and colorful fish and inverts. Please leave suggestions of what to add!

Sent from my iPod touch using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Apart from african cichlids of which most are too big for your tank, I think killifish have to be some of the most colourful fish around

3. Kindafishy

Kindafishy Valued Member Member

Endlers ad chili rasboras are beauties as well.

4. Claire Bear

Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

Hi, I would go with very small species and make sure they are suitable for that size tank. endlercollector states that endlers will work in 10 gallon.
    Just be cautious whatever you choose, and don't overstock! :)

5. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, five male Endler's will give you a lightly stocked tank, 9 or 10 for medium, and 14 for heavy. Just don't get any girls and enjoy the dancing ;)

6. petaddiction

petaddiction Well Known Member Member

I have to agree, endlers would look great in a tank with coral. They are very tropical and bright looking. I recently got some 3 days ago and I love my little endlers... and my tag along guppy who thinks he's an endler. :D

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407347981.402939.jpg
    Here's my lil gang. You could have coral that plays off their colors. So like green & orange. And you could also do the complimentary colors red & blue. I think that would look awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014
  7. OP
    OP
    Fibsog

Fibsog New Member Member

I considered endlers, however i already have a guppy tank and 4/7 guppies are endlers. I have done gardneri killifish, but had bad luck due to varying conditions in the only store i can get them from. I also have considered glofish, as they have always been super hardy with me. Shell dwellers are also on my mind. Keep the suggestions coming guys! And btw- endlers arent COMPLETLY out of the picture......

I just thought of galaxy rasboras/ CPD. Any thoughts or care tips? And by the way, this is going to be an all new tank (instant cycle with used filter media) that i saw on craigslist. Full set! 10 gallon, stand, heater, filter, gravel, and light hood!

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407437436.581005.jpg
    Here are a few of my little endlers. Love these guys!
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407437478.140201.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407437593.291762.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014
  8. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Cpd's would be good in your tank, they like quite a heavily planted tank & don't like a lot of flow, they're good breeders too once they get going

9. OP
    OP
    Fibsog

Fibsog New Member Member

Yeah, cpds sound out of the question though, as plants arent really part of the theme. Anything else guys?

10. OP
    OP
    Fibsog

Fibsog New Member Member

I still need suggestions guys!

11. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I can't remember what your pH KH situation is, But I am assuming that your water is hard due to your livebearers. If you can balance out culling, swamp guppies could be really cool. if occasionally deprived of food, they will eat most of their fry. you could put in a male platy to help keep the population down. I do not recommend them for an all-male tank and there have to be enough females to keep things balanced. Their behavior is very different from Endler's and wild reticulata; they are much more skittish.

12. lollipopkiller

lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

i attempted to do the same type of look with shell dwellers and "dwarf" red devil/blood parrots hybrids i dont recomend the hybrids but the shellies were amazing

13. Dark Sky

Dark Sky Valued Member Member

I know this isn't suitable for a 10G, but I had to mention it. There's a local fish keeper who experienced the same thing, plants just dropped off, so he decided to create a 'poor mans marine tank', he has an abundance of fake coral, and fake anemone which sway with the slightest water movement. He has it stocked with nothing but Electric Yellow Cichlids, it looks very convincing.

14. OP
    OP
    Fibsog

Fibsog New Member Member

Sounds cool! Maybe another yellow fish could do the trick...

15. emmynk

emmynk Well Known Member Member

Leleupi?:)

16. OP
    OP
    Fibsog

Fibsog New Member Member

Well thanks for all the help guys!

17. T

Teishokue Well Known Member Member

I recommend a HUGE colony of bryozoas. and some choprae danios

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice