Creating a Breeding Pair of Blue Acara

BVUBeavers

I had two male blue acara in my 75G tank, they got along fine but I was always looking out for a female blue acara to add to the mix to see if I could get a breeding pair. After I found her she was significantly too small to move into the the big tank so I continued to grow her out in my grow tank. A month ago she was finally big enough to move to the big tank. I was thinking as soon as that happened one of the males would show an interest in her - but so far nothing. She is about 2/3 the size of the males. One thing I did notice is that the males colors deepened dramatically once she was added...very rich dark blues along with vivid pearlescent scales around the gills.

Any suggestions on how to get my fish to pair off? A little Barry White music? A weekend at an all inclusive spa and resort?

Demeter

Extra water changes, maybe turn up the temp a degree or two, and more live/frozen foods. Get the tank ideal for spawning and them in shape to breed and they will pair off eventually.

TClare

When you change water replace it with slightly cooler water, then gradually raise the temperature to a few degrees higher than it was before. Sometimes this helps, and yes the female especially should be conditioned with live and frozen foods..

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BVUBeavers
Replies
Views
vyrille
Replies
Views
Plecomaker
Replies
Views