Crazy Test Results? - Page 2

david1978

Yes in a low ph tank its hard if not impossible to have an actual cycle. I had a black water tank with all kinds of decaying plant matter to get my ph as low as possible. It hovered around a ph of 5. My ammonia would stay around 3 and have 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate. But as stated above our test kits test total ammonia so a high reading isn't necessarily unsafe.

Gypsy13

Yes in a low ph tank its hard if not impossible to have an actual cycle. I had a black water tank with all kinds of decaying plant matter to get my ph as low as possible. It hovered around a ph of 5. My ammonia would stay around 3 and have 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate. But as stated above our test kits test total ammonia so a high reading isn't necessarily unsafe.

I had to get the Seachem free ammonia test kit. Knew my fish would’ve been dead if the ammonia was 8! I can’t keep my ph up. Hoping this new set up will help. Thank you!

david1978

They have a test for that? Who knew.

Gypsy13

They have a test for that? Who knew.

I was amazed. Even a control so you can make sure the test is still accurate. Lol. You knew!

david1978

honestly I didn't know they they made a test for that. I used to use a formula based on ph level. I'm still trying to figure out my apI master kit. Lol. I like borrowing the digital stuff from were I used to work. Years ago we would get our water tested what every 3 months or so. I only bought the test kit a year and a half ago because I was trying a no tech swamp tank. I think I used it 4 or 5 times.

Gypsy13

honestly I didn't know they they made a test for that. I used to use a formula based on ph level. I'm still trying to figure out my apI master kit. Lol. I like borrowing the digital stuff from were I used to work. Years ago we would get our water tested what every 3 months or so. I only bought the test kit a year and a half ago because I was trying a no tech swamp tank. I think I used it 4 or 5 times.

I’d love a well. But our tap isn’t safe according to me. I don’t particularly care how many ppm rat feces is ok according to the govt. I don’t want any! Or human waste, lead, swimming things etc. When you personally know five ppl in the last three years blinded by amoeba because they wear contacts and rinsed in tap water, this is unacceptable. To me not the govt.

Wraithen

You've gotten good advice. The fact that you're setting up a new tank is helpful. After its cycled, keep aragonite or oyster grit in the tank as a buffer, and use baking soda. If you aren't aware, the baking soda is very quick to increase ph, so don't do this method with fish in the tank.

finnipper59

Two points:
- at that low pH, virtually none of the total ammonia you’re measuring is un-ionized or free ammonia, which is the more toxic form.

055E6A3E-7526-4C66-8100-4F4F27307238.jpeg
So be very careful if you raise your pH, because the proportion of the total ammonia that is the toxic form may increase, possibly causing harm to your fish.
- Also, it’s my understanding that at that low pH the nitrosomonas bacteria may be unable to metabolize the ionized ammonia enough to survive, resulting in the collapse of your cycle, which would explain why you’re seeing such high levels of ammonia in the first place.
The chart you provided is extremely valuable to me right now. I was thinking of raising the ph before transfer of a couple of angelfish to new tank, but may just lower ph on new one instead to make tranfer safe, and let it drift up on it's own slowly.

Lacey D

I’d love a well. But our tap isn’t safe according to me. I don’t particularly care how many ppm rat feces is ok according to the govt. I don’t want any! Or human waste, lead, swimming things etc. When you personally know five ppl in the last three years blinded by amoeba because they wear contacts and rinsed in tap water, this is unacceptable. To me not the govt.
Oh wow, that sounds like awful water!! First apartment I had in this area, we had to run the tap for 2-3 minutes to have it clear up -- always came out rust-brown to start. I know it was probably just the pipes there, but I've never fully trusted the water ever since. The dream is to retire to a place in the country on a well, where I can have a fish building with enough solar panels on it to run everything

As for raising pH, I use crushed coral -- right now in a bag in my filter, but next setup will have some as the substrate, because livebearers

Gypsy13

Oh wow, that sounds like awful water!! First apartment I had in this area, we had to run the tap for 2-3 minutes to have it clear up -- always came out rust-brown to start. I know it was probably just the pipes there, but I've never fully trusted the water ever since. The dream is to retire to a place in the country on a well, where I can have a fish building with enough solar panels on it to run everything

As for raising pH, I use crushed coral -- right now in a bag in my filter, but next setup will have some as the substrate, because livebearers

I have crushed coral in my substrate. Hasn’t helped. I’m hoping the addition of more plants will help. Wish my sand would get here!

Wraithen

I have crushed coral in my substrate. Hasn’t helped. I’m hoping the addition of more plants will help. Wish my sand would get here!
Plants won't help raise ph. They will lower it with kh consumption. If it looks ok, add aragonite as a sand substrate. Otherwise, add some buffer and slowly raise your ph with baking soda.

Gypsy13

Plants won't help raise ph. They will lower it with kh consumption. If it looks ok, add aragonite as a sand substrate. Otherwise, add some buffer and slowly raise your ph with baking soda.

Actually hoping the plants will help with nitrates. Hoping I’ll get my sand soon so I can reduce my bioload too. I’d rather have a steady ph than keep trying to adjust it. Don’t have eyes often enough for testing. Thank you though

Ulu

I have a liquid and a powder, (both from Seachem) which fix this. I use this on bare bottom tanks where I don't want to add a bunch of gravel and coral.

It's really convenient if you mix up your water in advance and then just let it age for a day or two.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DCL415
Replies
Views
Ohio Mark
Replies
Views
sutty
Replies
Views