Crazy stem. this normal?

Nickguy5467

so my banana plant sported a new stem that is around 2 feet long for some reason and then a leaf. is this normal? lol also i have no idea what these bud things are from my anubias. they always grow, get hair on them, then look ugly and i cut it off. now theres 2 >.>

InkedIMG_20210507_103305861_LI.jpg

John58ford

The anubias looks like it might be getting ready to "bloom" the one in my QT tank did that last winter. Do they look like this when it happens?

20210129_164946~2.jpg

20210129_165003_HDR~2.jpg

The ramshorns in my tank ate through the "petal" of the flower in a couple days leaving just the center. I think the "bloom" lasted just under a week before I cut it off. Maybe if you get two of them in one tank you can get seed germination and legit baby anubias, I honestly had not thought of that until viewing your post and have no idea (yet) how that works under water.

The banana plant looks to be a dwarf water lily(this was wrong), I would expect that lilly pad to hit the surface within a week. Once it does the lily has better access to free co2 in the air and good lighting so the canopy leaves lower in the tank should explode with nice new growth.

Edit. I educated myself on the banana plant a bit. I guess after they hit the surface they use the extra light and nutrient to develop a new set of tubers (unlike the lily that feeds the rest of the plant). Once the tubers are mature enough it will rot the stem and eventually break free, then it will drift to a position to put down it's own roots and form a whole new plant. Pretty cool.

Upvote 0

Kathylee

That is crazy! I'm sorry I don't have information regarding it, but I am very jealous. I have 3 Banana plants, 1 in each tank, I was told if enough nutrients were available that they can grow long stems & leaves like lily pads... But mine do not. Every couple weeks they will shed 1 leaf & grow 1 new leaf. So I wish mine did this!! Very cool

Upvote 0

Nickguy5467

The anubias looks like it might be getting ready to "bloom" the one in my QT tank did that last winter. Do they look like this when it happens?

20210129_164946~2.jpg

20210129_165003_HDR~2.jpg

The ramshorns in my tank ate through the "petal" of the flower in a couple days leaving just the center. I think the "bloom" lasted just under a week before I cut it off. Maybe if you get two of them in one tank you can get seed germination and legit baby anubias, I honestly had not thought of that until viewing your post and have no idea (yet) how that works under water.

The banana plant looks to be a dwarf water lily(this was wrong), I would expect that lilly pad to hit the surface within a week. Once it does the lily has better access to free co2 in the air and good lighting so the canopy leaves lower in the tank should explode with nice new growth.

Edit. I educated myself on the banana plant a bit. I guess after they hit the surface they use the extra light and nutrient to develop a new set of tubers (unlike the lily that feeds the rest of the plant). Once the tubers are mature enough it will rot the stem and eventually break free, then it will drift to a position to put down it's own roots and form a whole new plant. Pretty cool.
yes but then they seem get get black hair on them so i just cut them off, and thanks for the info
That is crazy! I'm sorry I don't have information regarding it, but I am very jealous. I have 3 Banana plants, 1 in each tank, I was told if enough nutrients were available that they can grow long stems & leaves like lily pads... But mine do not. Every couple weeks they will shed 1 leaf & grow 1 new leaf. So I wish mine did this!! Very cool
i currently have two banana plants n that tank. the second one i just put in a few days ago its closer to the sword. i just put in a red dwarf lily bulb in bewteen that. so hope all goes well.. as for ferts . im assuming there is a bunch natural as i used a thick organic potting soil for substrate. but i use thrive C right now(probably switch to just regular thrive) and Iron from the same company. but i just started using iron so i dont know how much effect that has had yet

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
attheworld
  • Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
  • Question
Replies
Views
brndnfnk
  • Question
Replies
Views
JeremyW
  • Question
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420

Random Great Thread!

Know of a great thread on Fishlore that should be on this list? Submit the thread link here:
Great threads on Fishlore

New Plant Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom