Crazy Nitrates In All My Tanks

KimAnnKitz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have high nitrates in a 5 gallon moderate to high planted tank and a 16 gallon semi-heavily planted tank I can never get the nitrates under 40. Today I needed a aquarium for some guppy fry I hadn't expected. I happened to have a 2 gallon Fluval Spec set up but housing only a large anubias. I removed the plant and did a 100% water change and gravel rinse. I rinsed and reused the filter mefia in old tank water. Before adding the babies I tested the water. 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia, 80- 160ppm nitrates!

My tap water has recently been testing at 5ppm nitrates. Now I'm wondering if my test kit is correct. The kit says it expires 01/19.... Could it still be wrong? The nitrates don't seem to bother the fish, but I've had several deaths of new fish lately and have been told that could be causing the deaths. I do weekly 30 - 70% water changes using prime. The only suggestions I've received for lowering nitrates is water changes or adding a pothos or other plant to my filter or tank. I really don't have room in the filters and I don't like plant roots in the tank, plus I have a lid. I need suggestions...and yes I've searched on here and can't find any new suggestions. Just water change, water change, water change.

King o´ Angelfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, basically we do water changes to remove nitrates. Ammonia is solved by the filters. So I cant suggest much more than wc. Of course, you could try adding more plants. Plants and water changes are the nitrate removers of a tank. I cant think of anything causing such high nitrate. Off cycle filters? Did you make a mistake when cleaning filters? maybe you left the media out too long and it dried, killing off bacteria.

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Somethings off.. if your tap is 5, no way a newly setup tank can be over 80. I'd say bad kit, but tap tests normal. What's the substrate, and what is in the filter?

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I thought I was going crazy a few years back with insane nitrates no matter how much water I changed. Then I found out we were having a nitrate spike in our tap water. Members here recommended Amquel Plus, which detoxifies ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates for longer than the 24 hours that Prime does. I'm not sure just how long it does it for, but I've had no more problems.

KimAnnKitz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
King o´ Angelfish said:
Well, basically we do water changes to remove nitrates. Ammonia is solved by the filters. So I cant suggest much more than wc. Of course, you could try adding more plants. Plants and water changes are the nitrate removers of a tank. I cant think of anything causing such high nitrate. Off cycle filters? Did you make a mistake when cleaning filters? maybe you left the media out too long and it dried, killing off bacteria.
Hi, thanks for responding. I barely have any room in the tank for more plants. I have a large Crypt Bronze that was almost filling the previous tank it was in ... A 6 gallon .... 4 anubias Nana petite that also lived previously in the 6 gallon,, a dwarf sword, Ludwigia red Rubin, dwarf jungle Val that is just growing in and a decent size bunch of hornwort. The sword even has 4 babies on it adding more plant volume. I never let my filter media dry out. It goes straight into the bucket of tank water, gets rinsed and right back in the filter.

TexasGuppy said:
Somethings off.. if your tap is 5, no way a newly setup tank can be over 80. I'd say bad kit, but tap tests normal. What's the substrate, and what is in the filter?
Thanks TexasGuppy. That was what I was thinking too. Where the heck did they even come from? The substrate in all my tanks is eco complete. The fry tank I just set up is eco complete mixed with a little gravel. The filter on the 16 gallon is a fairly new Tidal 55 with a sponge, 2 100ml packs of purigen and biomax. The fry tank is a Fluval Spec which has built-in filtration with a massive sponge, ceramic rirign
gsgs and purigen. I run purigen in every tank I have (4 right now).

endlercollector said:
I thought I was going crazy a few years back with insane nitrates no matter how much water I changed. Then I found out we were having a nitrate spike in our tap water. Members here recommended Amquel Plus, which detoxifies ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates for longer than the 24 hours that Prime does. I'm not sure just how long it does it for, but I've had no more problems.
I have never tried the Amquel Plus but I remembered that I have some Algone...which is supposed to remove nitrates. I just added a pack to each tank... hopefully the water will get to the one in the Tidal sufficiently. I have it crammed with media. It has helped me before with algae issues but not on it's own...

I should add that I have never tried the Algone for nitrate removal alone. I should probably order a new nitrate test kit... I do use API tests.

King o´ Angelfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
david1978 said:
If the bacteria died i would think op would be seeing high ammonia or nitrites. If everything is being converted to nitrates it still has a cycle.
Not really, because he has claimed he´s been doing many water changes, so ammonia is still low. He been doing daily.

KimAnnKitz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
King o´ Angelfish said:
Not really, because he has claimed he´s been doing many water changes, so ammonia is still low. He been doing daily.
I am doing weekly water changes, not daily. I would do more but I've had a recent back injury and can only manage once a week right now... Oh, and I'm a she. I know it's hard to know for sure on here. :shy:

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom