Crazy Kuhli Loaches

jake37

Valued Member
Reaction score
So every Saturday I do a 25% water change (30 gallons from 120 tank); well today after the change my Kuhli went crazy - 5 of the 6 i have (3 different species) started swimming like crazy up and down. Not for a few minutes - but they have been doing it for 3 hours now. Even the large Pangio Myersi which only comes out once a month joined in the fun. Not sure where number 6 went - maybe back into the cansister filter ? Well if they don't tire themselves out they are going to tire me out - i mean how long can they keep this up. Up and down non-stop. Must really like the change - but they haven't done this any of the previous changes.... maybe water was more dirty this week ?

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It’s quite normal for fish to glass surf after a tank change or a large water change especially if there’s a weather change at the same time. Many fish will spawn soon after but I’ve not kept Kuhlis so don’t know if they have been bred in aquaria, they should soon settle down.
Hang on for other opinions

jake37

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well day 2 and three of them are still at it - the pangio myersi went back to her cave and not sure where the 4th pangio kuhli went - i think he took a nap on the jungle val. This is the first time they've done this since i moved; and i tell you when they decide to go up and down it doesn't matter who gets in their way - whether it be the pleco or the angels they run right into them; but so far the tank been pretty peaceful. I worry what will happen when the angels get larger or pair off (I have 8); and no clue where the male pleco will make his cave; so far he just sleeps under the amazon sword (it is the female pleco that uses the driftwood with the pangio myersi).
--
From everything I read kuhli will occasionally but rarely spawn in the home aquarium - farms feed them hormones to encourage spawning and they have many 10's per tank.

jake37

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well a week has gone by and they haven't stopped - they must be getting tired - prior they were pretty much non-moving now they can't stop swimming. Also found the 6th kuhli when I cleaned out the canister filter. I doubt he'll making back in there yet again as he has gotten quite a bit larger. Found lots of stuff - 4 frys (at least 1 is a guppy but there are some smaller ones - not sure what they might be); lots of snails - gave the bigger ones to the loaches - hum - wonder what is hiding in the other canister filter. Put the frys in a fry net but the angels will probably suck them out. Not too sure what to do with them - will take months and months before they are large enough to survive the angels.

jake37

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok. They swam up and down for about 3 1/2 weeks. I think they tired themselves out because 2/3 of them are piled under this tiny corner sponge filter (the weight on the bottom is approx 1 inch and there are 6 of them crammed under it). I still have no understanding of the behavior change - you have to understand one particular kuhli was in hiding for 6 months and would only come out at night to eat and run away at the smallest shadow. Now all of a sudden none of them show any fear at all and frequently poke their noses at me (the clowns on the other hand run and hide at the smallest shadow).

With regards to the picture; they seem to have a problem understanding that sticking their head into a dark corner and leaving the rest of their body hanging out does no good (the one that hid for 6 months stayed all the way under a piece of driftwood - which has now been taken over by one of the clowns).

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 21 67.7%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 12 38.7%

Top Bottom