Crazy Killer Snails....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eve_ill

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi All,
Not sure if this is the right "category" to start this thread, but it does somewhat qualify as a beginner type problem. The big question: Anyone know if Assassin Snails eat Ghost Shrimp?
I have an established 55g freshwater with BB Endlers, 5 Ghost Shrimp and just yesterday added 3 Assassins and 4 more Ghosts. Today I (carefully) counted all but 2 Ghosts, but we all know how they are masters at hiding, hence the name. Yet, as I've been reading around, some people claim that the Assassins do eat shrimp! Has anyone had experiences with this?
The plus side is that the Assassins are doing their job. I counted 4 empty Ramshorns shells stuck in the filter, so for anyone that has a snail problem this is by far the best natural remedy. Thanks.
Melissa and the Killers !!!!!!!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Eve_ill,

I'm glad the Assassins are doing what they should be doing I'll be anxious to see the other responses you receive on the shrimp questions.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Ken

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've read the same thing so I decided not to get the assassins. It seems so unlikely that a slow snail could catch a fast shrimp but I guess it happens.

-Lisa

OP
Eve_ill

Eve_ill

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Return of The Crazy Killer Snails....

Well, I'm sad to report that yet another 2 snails are MIA. :;alien
This is waaay out there, but I also read somewhere that the Assassins may possess some sort of neuro toxin?
Or, more likely the shrimp didn't survive transport from store to home. Or they were just some really dumb shrimp. I don't know. Hoping someone will chime in with some experiences. I will report back as the days go on.

Melissa

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well, I'm sad to report that yet another 2 snails are MIA. :;alien
This is waaay out there, but I also read somewhere that the Assassins may possess some sort of neuro toxin?
Or, more likely the shrimp didn't survive transport from store to home. Or they were just some really dumb shrimp. I don't know. Hoping someone will chime in with some experiences. I will report back as the days go on.

Melissa
Normally, ghost shrimp are pretty adaptable and don't die that way. I would guess that they have molted and are hiding somewhere (so the fish won't eat them.) As far as I know, the fish would be a much greater threat than the snails.

proudtobeafarmgirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have Red cherry shrimp and two assassin snails in a 10 gallon and I have yet to see the assassins "go after" a shrimp. So far they just slide right on by but the shrimp are dumb and stand thier ground and only move at the last second or just sidestep the snail and continue thier food search. I can see where they could get eaten as they only move for my catfish (maybe because he is fast and big and bowls them over?) He should not be in the tank but is hard to catch and spazzes out and will do alot of damage trying to catch him.

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
This is a long debated topic when it comes to these snails. Some have insisted it happens others have said if an assassin was eating a shrimp it was because the shrimp was dead to begin with. I tend to lean toward the "shrimp was already dead" theory. There are many shrimp keepers who also have assassins and no problems.I wouldn't worry too much.

Supplement the assassins food if you run out of Ramshorns. I use sinking cichlid pellets which they seem to like well enough. I also started a snail colony for feeding purposes to help keep them on a live diet. When live food is fed they will breed more it seems.
If you vac your substrate and look very close at the detritus you take out, dont be surprised if you find TINY little striped assassins. I quit cleaning my substrate as well because I would like to keep the babies around.
Interesting little creatures!

OP
Eve_ill

Eve_ill

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Normally, ghost shrimp are pretty adaptable and don't die that way. I would guess that they have molted and are hiding somewhere (so the fish won't eat them.) As far as I know, the fish would be a much greater threat than the snails.
Yes, that's what I'm thinking, only because this morning I found the remains of someone's "beautification" so perhaps they are hiding. As for the fish, I know that the Endlers are pretty docile little guys, and the shrimp together with them make for a peaceful community. Although 2 days ago one of the shrimp died and the female Endlers were literally ripping it apart! I can just hear the voices in their heads saying "Oh sure, we'll coexist beside you for now. But as soon as you push up that first daisy, you can bet we'll be there to pick away at your spindly shrimpy legs and protein packed belly..."
Oh, the joys of fishkeeping.

OP
Eve_ill

Eve_ill

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This is a long debated topic when it comes to these snails. Some have insisted it happens others have said if an assassin was eating a shrimp it was because the shrimp was dead to begin with. I tend to lean toward the "shrimp was already dead" theory. There are many shrimp keepers who also have assassins and no problems.I wouldn't worry too much.
This theory is what I'm leaning towards too! Just as what Alodea said about the shrimp hiding after molting, along with the "already dead" thing, this is whats been going on. I've come to learn that some just don't survive acclimation no matter how carefully I've done it. And the fact that I still have some missing, well, they are called Ghost Shrimp for a reason!
Before I jumped that gun, I should have recalled situations months ago where I couldn't locate one for days. Then lo and behold, there it is like a child star from the 80's making a surprise appearance on VH1's "Where Are They Now?"
Thanks for the food tip for the Assassins too! I've been wondering what to give them once the feast is over! x
Melissa

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can just hear the voices in their heads saying "Oh sure, we'll coexist beside you for now. But as soon as you push up that first daisy, you can bet we'll be there to pick away at your spindly shrimpy legs and protein packed belly..."
Then lo and behold, there it is like a child star from the 80's making a surprise appearance on VH1's "Where Are They Now?"

Oh my Lord, I'm peeing myself here..... have you considered a job as a stand up comic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 62 65.3%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.9%

Top Bottom