Crazy Idea-Betta Pond - Page 13

Aquaphobia

I'm sorry you lost Kevin, he was beautiful. Without a necropsy there's no way to know for sure what happened and I'm not even sure you'd be able to find someone sufficiently experienced to diagnose what happened. There's no telling what his genetic background was or what he'd been through before you got him. He could have had an aneurysm that finally burst or a heart defect or who knows what. I'm sorry x

Flowingfins

Thank you I'm hoping it wasn't water quality. He was my favorite fish.

Aquaphobia

I think you're pretty good about maintaining your water quality. You love your fish and have enough knowledge and experience to keep things safe for them. Not to mention it's an investment for you. No, I think it was probably something internal you couldn't have had any control over. Don't blame yourself.

Flowingfins

I guess it is a risk when buying a fish and knowing nothing about them. Thanks for the help. I'm hoping he wasn't in too much pain though, I just can't bring myself to euthanize something myself or I would have.

thepianoguy

speechless...

sorry for your loss...WHY!!! hes such a cutie... RIP...

hope your others are okay... have a nice life in fishy heaven!

Flowingfins

Thank you

Aquaphobia

Chances are he was in a coma or at least not fully conscious of what was happening to him. I don't think he felt any pain at all x

thepianoguy

it could be fish TB, read the sticky on disease form, Flowingfins, that might help you

Aquaphobia

I doubt it's fish TB thepianoguy, I think that Flowingfins would have come here for help if he'd had any symptoms. It sounds like it was a sudden death

thepianoguy

uhmm, like the sticky said(by walstad), fish TB may have sudden death and have no symptoms before the death, it could be quite a myth...well that my guess, by all means, I didn't mean that is the correct answer!

Flowingfins

Well, if he had TB, the rest of my fish do. I seriously doubt it though. He never showed any signs and was extremely active up until I found him, even this morning.

thepianoguy

though really, according to the walstad's paragraph, there are certain type of fish TB in every tank, some fish (that are old enough) had the, immunity to those diseases, since Kevin is new to the tank, and he had not gain enough of immunity for the new environment, so he might be infected and show no symptoms and die.

and it could be because of Kevin is weak when you first buy him, he had no immunity to the whatever disease is in the wtaer and die...

anyway, this is what she said. and might be the best explainable reason.

Jaxsco

It took hold way too fast to be fish TB. SIP Kevin...

thepianoguy

well, that just my way of explaining, right? as I said, I am no mean a fish expert and new to fish keeping hobby, if not fish TB then I have no idea.

Flowingfins

I'm going to go with what aquaphobia said. Maybe an aneurysm or a heart defect. I'll never know for sure. I don't think it was TB though.

Jaxsco

I love it all! I definitely want to hear the story behind your Oranda.

Sorry to say, but I've got you beat.
I have a 90g pond in the backyard with fish so common, they're rare. Gutter minnows!
I trekked through grueling conditions the entire 400 foot distance from my house to the creek. Of which 390 was paved road, but it was still hard!

I captured them with raw skill and talent unrivaled worldwide. I also fell in once...
Again, raw skill and talent!!!!

I now have a self sustaining pond with a large population of gutter minnows.

I'll sell them for only $100!!

Annie424

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know Kevin was very special to you.

Mom2some

So Fins... you have 1 pond for betta fry grow out, 1 pond to accept the extra fish from your tank that you needed for other things (this pond you have since added more/new fish), about 16 betas and now... a goldfish?
Also - I love the thought of danios in a 1400 gallon pond! They will be so happy! What fun! Thanks for sharing.

Flowingfins

Jaxsco, I've never heard of them before. They sound cool!

I can find least killifish and some other type with red/blue fins In my pond lol. Not as impressive as $100 fish though.

Here's the thread with how I got him.

Thank you Annie, he was one of my favorites

Mom2some, it's only 13 bettas now I'm working on dividing a tank for them, I need some more craft mesh. The fish were originally on a community tank, but since the bettas needed more room I moved them to the pond. I wasn't planning on a goldfish, he was an impulse buy.

Jaxsco

They're just those feeder minnows you can find in creeks. I would do killifish! They would look awesome!

Flowingfins

We don't have creeks in Florida, whenever we go up north to my grandparents I spend hours sitting in the creek by their house catching crayfish.
I might try catching some. I'll let you all know how it goes
I edited the above post, I was ninja'd quite a bit lol.

thepianoguy

wow.

Aquaphobia

Flowingfins, where did you get that red background on the new goldfish's tank? It's really cool!

Flowingfins

It's a blanket lol. I took it when I was acclimating him. My rooms kinda messy so I put a blanket behind the tub.

Aquaphobia

Well...it's a really cool blanket then

Flowingfins

Thanks lol

thepianoguy

It's a blanket lol. I took it when I was acclimating him. My rooms kinda messy so I put a blanket behind the tub.

haha!

lol I thought you paint that!

Tiny goatfish

Sorry i'm late but, So sorry about Kevin . you gave him a great life. I can't wait to watch the pond video, it looks great so far that goldfish is very cute

Flowingfins

Thank you He will be missed.
I posted a link to the video, didn't I?

Tiny goatfish

Yes you did . I just can't view it right now, because it will use up to much internet. (I'm on my grandparents computer, and at out lake house where we have very limited wifi)

Flowingfins

Ah, ok

chloep123

Any updates??

Flowingfins

Not really, the fish are good, breeding is on hold until exams are done(2-3 weeks).
One of the lillies is starting to bloom

mg13

that's awesome.. pretty flower

thepianoguy

the flower is SOOOO PRETTY!!!! I want one too...

Flowingfins

Wait till you see it fully bloomed!

thepianoguy

wow! what is THAT? that is called the BEAUTY!!!

princess83

Do you have recent photos of your betta pond?

Flowingfins

Projects on hold because I have some unexpected goldfish fry.

Mom2some

Ha. So you are breeding fish, just not the ones you planned.
Will you be able to keep some of the fry for the 100G tank?

Flowingfins

Yeah. I thought it would becool to breed goldies, I wasn't planning on it for a while though...
I should be able to keep some. Right now the only ones I have are the parents(and 120 fry)

Aquaphobia

I think you should have a little chat with your fish and let them know what you want them to do and when, maybe they'll listen

Flowingfins

Maybe.
"Hamilton, Cheese, no more babies ok? You just met each other, really?"
"Bettas, can you please get along and have some babies, I understand you don't like each other, but think about me for once."
Lol

Jaxsco

I would do this:
Put your hands in the water
Shove the bettas together
Say: "Now Kiss." In the snotiest voice you can.

Aquaphobia

LOL! That's starting to sound like elementary school dances. All the boys on one side and the girls on the other and no one wanted to dance

Flowingfins

Jaxsco, "You're going to kiss each other, and you're going to like it!"

Aquaphobia, those were the worst. We all just sat there eating pizza lol.

chloep123

Maybe.
"Bettas, can you please get along and have some babies, I understand you don't like each other, but think about me for once."
Lol

Maybe

Hamilton, cheese, no more babies please. You have only just met and I'm on my knees. Can't you please just be on ease

Bettas will you get along? I know that babies seem all wrong. But can you think of me one time, so I can stop this rhyme!

Mom2some

"You know you want to kiss the girl..."
I think a little mood music, but in a different room from the goldies who have already figured it out!

thepianoguy

Maybe.
Lol

I would do this:
Put your hands in the water
Shove the bettas together
Say: "Now Kiss." In the snotiest voice you can.

LOL! That's starting to sound like elementary school dances. All the boys on one side and the girls on the other and no one wanted to dance

Maybe

Hamilton, cheese, no more babies please. You have only just met and I'm on my knees. Can't you please just be on ease

Bettas will you get along? I know that babies seem all wrong. But can you think of me one time, so I can stop this rhyme!

nice jokes~!

congrats flowing fins! wish I am you!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Danny002
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
Danny002
  • Discus-Tang
  • Ponds
Replies