Crazy idea: 5 gallon sump/refug. for 10 gallon.

thefishnoob

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Title says it all. I have a 10 gallon. I also have a ~5 gallon sterilite tub growing duckweed with a hob. I feel like combining the two, using the tub as a sump or refugium, also to grow and sell plants as i have been doing.

How will I go about connecting and flowing water through the two?

Also, because it will become a 15 gallon, would I be able to stock more, or no?
Current is:
5 Glofish tetras
3 Neon tetras

How do I make it so the pump pushing water back from the 5 to the 10 the same flow rate as the siphon from the 10 to the 5 is the same? How can I prevent overflows?

Can I ditch the HOBs if I add a filter area in the 5? If so, how?

Thanks alot guys!

1971roadrunner

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow, took me awhile to get my mind around your idea. I currently have a sump for a 150gal. and currently building one with a refug. for my 80/soon to be 125. I have experience with this and all I can say is your tank is WAY too small to ever really get the flow rates at a reliable level consistently. I'll think on it some more for whatever reason, but my gut tells me-no way.

VWTDI02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
In order to get water from the tub into the tank you will need to get a pump. In order to get the water from the tank into the pump, all you have to do is make an overflow. There are DIY ones that you can find on YouTube which would work well. With that you can just toss on a pump in the tub and it should throw it into the main tank while overflowing the tank right back into the sump.

My response for your question about adding more fish is a no. The reason I say that is that it doesn't matter how far over you go with filtration, your fish still have the same amount of space to swim. With the new setup, you shouldn't have to worry as much about water changes (still do them) but your fish still have the same amount of swimming room. Think of it like having 6 bathrooms in a 2 bedroom apartment. You still have the same amount of living space.

In regards to how powerful of a sump pump you need, the thread I found said 3 - 6 times. So for your tank it would be a 30-60 gph pump. Depending on how the current in your tank is, you might need to get a power head.

[Edit]

That is a 30-45 gph submersible pump. The only issue is that you might have a pretty heavy current in the refugium.

thefishnoob

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hmm. What i really want is just to connect the two. Idk really about this whole idea so far.

VWTDI02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

That tells you how to make the overflow. From there all you need is the submersible pump that I listed earlier and some tubing to connect everything. It is actually pretty simple. You can get more complicated if you want by adding a filter sock in order to remove the larger debris.

[Edit]
I changed the video. The new one explains it a lot better and shows you exactly how you should set yours up.

Teleost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have built this overflow. It doesn't work reliably enough for me.
The bottom T piece needs to be much higher to maintain the siphon when the power is out.

As to the sump thing. Your tank is too small to make it an economically viable option. Do it for fun and the learning experience, but for the price of PVC, PVC cement and a pump, you'd be better off putting your money towards a larger tank.

VWTDI02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Teleost said:
I have built this overflow. It doesn't work reliably enough for me.
The bottom T piece needs to be much higher to maintain the siphon when the power is out.

As to the sump thing. Your tank is too small to make it an economically viable option. Do it for fun and the learning experience, but for the price of PVC, PVC cement and a pump, you'd be better off putting your money towards a larger tank.
That's good to know about the T piece placement. I feel like for larger aquariums you could put a fill level sensor that simply shuts off the pump when it reaches a certain level. I know there have to be some tank controllers that can do that. I spent the last about 20 minutes looking at the price tag for a 500 gallon tank and the fish to stock it after watching that video on the PVC overflow.

For your tank, economically it doesn't make sense but it really isn't that bad of an idea if you really want to grow the plants. The plants in the refugium will benefit from all the fish waste while also cleaning the water for your tank. If you have the space and a bit of extra cash then I say go for it. I think it would be a fun experiment even if it is only temporary. You could even sell some plants in order to recoup some of the money.

1971roadrunner

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Food for thought, why not start planning and piecing together a system now for a larger tank for the future, (maybe a 55gal. or whatever). This will keep your creativity and work ethic busy in the mean time. I've been doing this for some time now in moving my 80gal. up to a 125 with a much more advanced filtration system. This way a year or two from now you will have a killer tank with an awesome, (and fun) filtration system that you will really proud of.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom