Funny crazy gwen and her bubble nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
so i have this crazy female named guinevere. she's in a 5g hex and always has been feisty. she even has tried to jump for my finger as i'm dropping her pellets in. she races around and flares.

in the past few weeks, i've noticed what i thought to be a bubble nest, but thought since she's a girl, she wouldn't blow one. well then i read sometimes girls will blow bubble nests for the fun of it. idk. so she is for whatever reason lol.

so last night i noticed she was hanging out in back, near a sponge i have anchored behind the heater cord, for seeding. so i bent down and saw a pretty good bubble nest! she was very proud. i fed her and watched some more. she raced back to the nest and blew bubble after bubble, very quickly, then flared and raced around to me again....then back to the nest to inspect it. she did this several times. blowing, flaring, racing lol. she was very careful in where she placed the bubbles.

now i've seen my two males blow nests at times, but not like gwen! i'm not sure what she expects to happen with the "nest", but she's having fun! lol, just thought i'd share about a crazy girl betta.

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Awwww! how cute. Such a cool little personality she seems to have. My betta jumps for my fingers (and sometimes catches them) when I don't feed him quickly enough to suit him.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
are you sure gwen isnt a plakat male? (asking because I made that mistake twice!!) although some gals do blow nests, its not very common

OP
jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hmmm, i dunno shawnie. i know the store where i got her, had some sort of short tail males....then a sorority tank. which is where gwen was. i'm not sure what would have been happening in that tank if she were a male, do you?

and i don't trust 100% what the ppl at the lfs say....though it is an aquarium specialty store. they can't be focused on the bettas 100% of the time, since there are many other fish to think about! plus i guess it can be confusing since it's happened to you!

so how can i be sure? i just read the female bettas won't have the "beard" thing when they flare. i think she does.

Edit: also, when the lights are out in the room, at night, and her light is on, she apparently can see herself because she will be racing around flaring. would a female do this?

Last edited:

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hmmm, i dunno shawnie. i know the store where i got her, had some sort of short tail males....then a sorority tank. which is where gwen was. i'm not sure what would have been happening in that tank if she were a male, do you?

and i don't trust 100% what the ppl at the lfs say....though it is an aquarium specialty store. they can't be focused on the bettas 100% of the time, since there are many other fish to think about! plus i guess it can be confusing since it's happened to you!

so how can i be sure? i just read the female bettas won't have the "beard" thing when they flare. i think she does.

Edit: also, when the lights are out in the room, at night, and her light is on, she apparently can see herself because she will be racing around flaring. would a female do this?
my LPS had 5 plakat males in with their females and I said thats why all the bettas have ripped tails! girls are nasty too but put 5 boys in the mix, and its torture...a pic would help allot so we can see her/his finnage...as well MOST girls have the ovi spot under their bellies...its white and very easy to see unless you have a light colored baby

OP
jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
well i do have a light colored baby haha. her body is, and the fins are a light blueish red. there actually is a tiny bit of lavender on her body too.

ok, so i *never* have luck with pics on here. i just don't know what i'm doing! i just tried to post 3 pics, and it just will not do it!! grrrr. i used to be able to post them to my album, and now even that is not doing it. i might have to ask hubby. i'll keep trying

Attachments

Last edited:

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Some females have beards, but they are just not as long as the male. I personally have never seen either of my females flare in the couple of months I've had them

OP
jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yeah there she is, post #8, he helped me. i'm so lucky. i tried a mirror to see what she'd do, she flared and was hyper. it was hard to get a pic. hope this is good enough

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
OP
jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
tigerfishy, i looked, and let me say they are both soooo pretty! but yes, she does seem to have very similar finnage. i think she's pretty young, she was even smaller when i got her and has been growing.

so possibly when the lfs got those bettas in, they were so young that it was too hard to tell? i'm thinking that could be a common problem.

well maybe shawnie will be back to look at the pic

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lol hopefully, she has had some confused fish before! I just thought the finnage was so similar, and mine's is def a male. I admit, when it comes to PK males, and regular females, I'm stumped, but fin shape and placement were too familiar for me. It could be that it was too young to tell, but they grow so fast huh!? It's great watching my fish grow (of course my LFS ones were already grown, so not many surprises with them along the way!)

I'm secretly hoping Gwen is a girl, coz what a story that would be!! I love the part about bubbling, flaring and racing around.

OP
jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ok so i gave her some bloodworms, for the first time. she was like a shark. jumping, ripping it off the tweezers..... the vt and ct males were much more civilized about them. does that mean anything?

also, if she is a pk male.... that would explain her trying to rip the nerite snails apart two min after they were put in the tank. but i suppose a feisty female could too. hmmmmm

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Haha what a character you have!! I mean, females can be just as feisty, if not more so than males, so I don't think the behaviour would be much of an indicator. I just wish someone would clear this up lol!

OP
jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
seriously?! well i thought, from looking at many pk pics, hers looked bigger than the females. so i guess i should now start thinking of her as a him? i wonder if i should still call her/him gwen........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom