Crazy corys breeding?

1. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

So since our 34 gallon tank was set up in March we have added 6 emerald aeneus corys (all in March, over time). All was well. A couple weeks ago I found one dead. I can only find three corys now, but have not found any body's if the other two. So I think we have 3 corys now. We don't see them much, so I am trying to switch to feeding them during the day rather than at lights out.
    So, for the past 2-3 days the three corys have been having crazy fits of chasing each other all over the tank. Someone else posted something similar recently and hers were breeding. If this is what mine were doing, where should I look for eggs? I did a water change on Thursday and fed bloodworms on Friday, if it matters. I know it isn't likely, but a girl can hope right?

2. Nicoldeme Member Member

If they're breeding, I'm not sure if any fry will survive, but it is a possibility :) Do you know the sex of your corys? The recommended breeding ratio is two or three males to a female (opposite of livebearers). When corys mate, males will chase a female until she is ready. If I remember properly, when they mate, two fish will form a "T" shape. The male will release his milt and, I don't think anyone knows for sure yet though, it is assumed the female takes it in through her gills, then passes into her eggs.
    Then they swim off and she will deposit her eggs on a flat surface.

3. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Thanks. Basically if they were mating I thought I would look around for the eggs to see if I could save them. No idea if they were - they were just being crazy. I have no idea what sex they are - they are all big, that is all I know.

4. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

If you want them to come out more add 5 more at least!

5. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

We originally had a school of 6 (added 4, then 2 more a week later).... one I know died (found a body), but I only see three now. Even when I peek around and during water changes. I was thinking they were just hiding well, but I am starting to change my opinion that maybe we lost two without knowing it. :( So we will probably get more... but I need to wait until the tank calms down from the addition of the cardinals. And I also am still torn about taking out ALL the decorations and plants (which are just planted floating plans) to get a Really head count. But that seems like SO much work and so stressful to the fish that I haven't done it.

6. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry to hear:( when you get a chance add more! You will not regret it

7. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

See everyone who has corys reports loving them. When we first added them to the tank we saw them for about 48 hours, then they took to hiding. When we added the last two then we saw them all again for about 48 hours and I was so excited because they are so cute, but then they went into hiding again. That was by the end of March. I only found the body in mid-may. I want to love them, but sometimes I am just annoyed that this supposedly awesome fish that I never see is taking up bioload which could be used for other fish.

8. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes that's what happened to me when I only had five. But when I added 5 more it's like the tank came to life!!!!! I couldn't believe my eyes!!!!!!!!!

9. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Strange thing is my "emerald" aeneus are the most skittish of all Corys I own. Bumping into the glass if someone is in the room.

10. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Can we see a pic?

11. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry you can't. I am not at home (holiday). A pic of what do you mean?

12. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Of your emerald cories. And who is taking care of your fish?

13. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Will be back in three days. My daughter is defending the fortress. They are so difficult to get om camera!!!

14. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Lol nice!

15. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

So - good news! We saw four corys at the same time tonight! Out being goofy and chasing each other all around again. So that is great! Only one I can't account for.

Dumb question... I know people talk about bronze & albino both being the same species and thus schooling together. If emerald corys are aeneus as well - will they school with bronze or albinos too? DoubleDutch?

16. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

17. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Emerald cories are a different species, though maybe there's a green morph of C. aeneus?

18. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If the 'emerald' corys are aenus then yes they'll shoal with albino & bronze aenus.
    This is why I dislike trade names as C.splendens (Brochis splendens) were & still are known as emeralds which gets very confusing.

19. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I think there is a green aneous as well so those would all school together as they are just color morphs but same species. I can't remember where I saw that but it might have been on trinsfish. com or where ever else I was looking at for the kuhlis. Now I need to hunt. Alison:;dete

It is just listed as green corydora catfish , no latin name , but is the same price as the albino and bronze. Alison

20. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

I am serious thinking about selling the green aeneus. They are staying soooooo skittish that other aeneus hardly can even school with them.
    They are so different in behaviour to my other aeneus. Taking pics of these guys are hardly possible.
    It's quite strange they are showing this from the start (got them young). In the same time the albino Peppered are quite and stay in front. So do the other aeneus in other tanks.