Crazy Betta

maia

Reaction score
Hello hello everyone,

So I got my red betta a few weeks ago. He's had some spots on his face since I got him. They're shiny bronze colored. It's hard to tell if it's that rusty disease because he's red. Are different color patches of scales on betta's faces normal? He seems to be acting pretty normal, except he paces back and forth along the front of the tank - but I figured out why. When the tank light is on but the lights in the room are off I think he sees his reflection and flares the entire time. So he's constantly on intruder alert. I don't know how to convince him to relax... I guess the solution for now is to always leave a light on in the room.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
maia said:
Hello hello everyone,

So I got my red betta a few weeks ago. He's had some spots on his face since I got him. They're shiny bronze colored. It's hard to tell if it's that rusty disease because he's red. Are different color patches of scales on betta's faces normal? He seems to be acting pretty normal, except he paces back and forth along the front of the tank - but I figured out why. When the tank light is on but the lights in the room are off I think he sees his reflection and flares the entire time. So he's constantly on intruder alert. I don't know how to convince him to relax... I guess the solution for now is to always leave a light on in the room.
I never have my tank lights on with the room lights off because of just that thing. The tank lights need to be off in a dark room or he will never settle down. Placing a black cloth over him won't help unless the tank lights are off then you don't need the cloth.
As far as the spots that are shiny and bronze colored, it could be velvet. If so it will shine on him if you shine a flashlight on him and it will look kind of like he has been sprinkled with gold dust. It responds generally to the same type of treatment as Ich.

Take care and let us know how it goes,
Rose

Parvath

Reaction score
My Red Fire Guppy does that too. It keeps running up and down the one of side of the glass wall trying to peck at it. What do you guys think about that?

maia

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! Mr Betta has been quarantined for the time being - until I get to the fish store and find out if he's got velvet for sure. I don't have a quarantine tank so he's sitting in a large vase that is floating inside the tank (for temperature control). I think he's mad at me....but it has definitely cured his pacing. Poor guy. I read that turning the temperature up and adding salt helps. Does anyone know how to add salt? If I add it suddenly will it stress the fish (especially since all except the betta are bottom dwellers)?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
First of all NO table salt! Aquarium salt or Kosher salt only! then 1 tsp per 5 gallons (I am not a big fan of salt therapy but it won't kill him) so a very very small amount if you have him confined to a vase. Mix it into some water and add it to the water. I would be feeling much better if he were in a tank with moving water when you do this, but please remember this is a salt bath in effect so should not become a salt soak. (not for a long period of time).

Let us know how it goes.

Rose
:-\

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom