Crazy amount of baby snails

1. joe Member Member

I got some fish at petco about 3 weeks ago and they accidently put in a snail (no clue what kind) It layed eggs in four places. but i didnt see babies for a while and now i have 28 of them. Would a pet store buy any of them because i dont want that many?t
    thanks, Joe

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Probably not Joe, if they are common pond snails. If they are the apple or mystery snails, you could probably have quite a business going. If they are the pond snails, you can simply smash them against the glass and your fish will eat them. When you see the eggs stuck against the glass or a leaf, remove them. It doesn't take long to have an infestation in your tank.

3. joe Member Member

Thanks gunnie, i'm not sure what kind they are. but i'll try to find out.

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

5. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Yeah Jo they do become a real nuisance so when you see eggs remove them asap and try and pull out as many snails as you can each day... I have unfortunately got the worst infestation imaginable in 2 of my tanks. Every day I pull out 20 or 30 snails and feed them to the goldfish outside but they just never seem to go away! Even the Interpet stuff didn't get rid of them grrr!

6. Jason Well Known Member Member

Yep just get rid of them. I still have a few which came of a Vallis plant I bought. I keep killing them but there are always more

7. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

"Smash them against the glass" ???

8. joe Member Member

I think they are limpets but still not 100% sure. would they be worth anything if they are limpets?

9. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

idk bout u but i would kill them asap. i got snails from my grandpas tank wen i took it and didnt now and they soon were every were. i would kill bout ten or more every day tried puting in snail killer but didnt work so i took every thing out of my tank cleanded the filter and let it sit out in the sun for a ocuple hours to kill any eggs did the same with the heater then wiped down the walls with a sponge then gravel vacumed my tank. try that if u want to get rid of them

10. Brad Initiate Member

Yeah, i had snails in my 250 gallon chiclid tank. It was horrible, they were pond snails too. They reproduce like 30 a day, its crazy. I ended up getting yellow clawed crabs. I'd never heard of them before untill i went to Petco, their fairly cheap too only 9$, and they were like oh yeah get these they will eat the snails and you shouldn't have a problem w/ them. So i bought 11 or so. 'Cuz' my tank is VeRy long, it doesn't have much height to it at all. So i would go buy maybe 2 yellow clawed crabs. THEY HELP ALOT!!

11. dahly Member Member

I was told when I picked up my Malaysian Trumpet Snails that I wouldn't have a problem with snails reproducing as long as I didn't overfeed my fish. With that thought in mind, perhaps cutting down on the amount you feed your fish will stop the reproduction. I'm just a novice, but I think it's worth a try. Good Luck!

12. joe Member Member

thanks, but i took all of my fish out of that tank. its a ten gallon that i put babies or sick fish in. so its empty(except the snails) so there is no food coming in to it. :-\ so i'm not sure. right now i'm just crushing them with my hands and feeding them to my bigger fish. Thanks for the help. ;D

13. andycganja Initiate Member

I had a huge infestation of pond snails a few months ago and my supplier recommended that i get a pair of clown loaches,they love snails.Problem solved,now i just have overweight clown loaches lol.Good luck, Andy

14. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Clown Loaches are wonderful fish, great snail eaters, very intelligent, personable and get to be 12 inches or bigger.They really like to have buddies. I really love mine but know I will have to invest in a much bigger tank not too far in the future( they are in a 75 g now)
    That said I hope your supplier asked what you were going to house them in before recommending them.
    Cutting down on feeding and not over feeding will control snails without having to add more fish. Just my thoughts.
    Carol