?! Crazily Aggressive Psycho Ghost Shrimp

Discussion in 'Ghost Shrimp' started by BettaOtto, Jun 26, 2016.

1. BettaOtto

BettaOtto Valued Member Member

Okay, I have had this female ghost shrimp for maybe a month. She's crazy! Two days ago, I was changing the tank water and rearranging and felt this tiny tingly pain on my arm. And it was the psycho shrimp biting me! Even I moved my arm, she didn't let go until i pulled her off my arm! Then this morning, I found her eating my Betta's tail and she won't let go even when my Betta was wiggly vigorously! I pulled her right out of the tank and put her in quarantine. She already ate quite a bit of my Betta's tail! Proven by that red color in her stomach and my Betta's ragged tail with a few tiny teeny puncture wounds all over the tail! And Betta was only back for a day after recovering from a fungal infection and parasites! Those holes are so tiny you have to see it against the light. Then I remembered two weeks in, this shrimp ate the other ghost shrimp that I have had in the tank before her. I saw her trapped the other one in her claws and bite the other ones eye off and swallowed it. It all happened too fast, when I went in to save the victim it was too late. Back then I thought it was because the other shrimp was molting that's why psycho shrimp attacked and preyed on her. But I also remembered when I interfered, it bit my finger and wouldn't let go until I pull my hand out of the water and pulled her off.

This is so strange! I thought ghost shrimp should be pretty peaceful! My Betta was scared of her and my otto especially so! I remembered one time psycho shrimp sat on Betta's head and riding around. I thought it was funny then, but now I felt so bad that I didn't realize she's bullying her tank mates!

Can someone ID if it's not a ghost shrimp? It does have a blue hue and spots that differentiates herself from other ghost shrimps I have seen. It does have the orange wristbands. I have a newly set up 10 gallon tank fully cycled. This shrimp came with the green eggs and all of them hatched but died. [​IMG]

2. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

It doesn't look like any ghost shrimp I have seen. I'm wondering if it's a whisker shrimp which are aggressive, and often sold as ghost shrimp. That being said I can't make a 100% positive ID myself.

3. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

It is a ghost shrimp, but I didn't think they could be so aggressive! I knew they were slightly more aggressive than most other shrimp, but I've never heard of one biting a person.

4. Anastasia Vedmedenko

Anastasia Vedmedenko New Member Member

This is so bizarre. I can't believe you have managed to get an aggressive ghost shrimp. That is definitely a ghost shrimp, though. I think you should keep this shrimp isolated. I'm trying to come up with a better idea for you but I have no idea what to do with such a mean little shrimp. Maybe consider getting a small 2-3 gallon tank for her so she can at least be a little more comfortable. It doesn't sound like she belongs in a community tank any more though.

5. OP
    OP
    BettaOtto

Yeah, it's just madness! I wanted to get RCS for the main tank anyways. It all worked out. I just hope my Betta recovers soon.

6. Skyy2112

Skyy2112 Valued Member Member

7. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

Agreed, definitely a ghost shrimp, and a perfect pic to show what the appearance of a ghost instead of a whisker... the dots on the tail and the bands on the antennae are very clear.

I'd probably go with setting up a little tank for just her as well, since it sounds like she should not be in the community.

And wow, that's the first time I've heard of a truly aggressive ghostie. Out of curiosity, what have you been feeding her? Maybe she's just not getting enough meat in her diet and trying to supplement with tank mates?

8. OP
    OP
    BettaOtto

She eats whatever pretty much. Dead plants, blanched veggies I have to my otto, occasional Omega One Buffet pellets Betta misses. Boy! She's lost her mind or something! She was trying to eat me too apparently.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice