Crayfish tankmates....

Status
Not open for further replies.

freshwaternoobi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am going to get a blue crayfish and possible an albino crayfish. Do 2 crayfish do well in a 40 gallon tank together, if so which sexes, does it need to be male and female or can two females or two males go good together? My main question is what are some of the best tankmates for crayfish. Mine would be procambarus allenis.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have read that crays can be really territorial and are best left to their own tank. Dwarf crays are different, but big crays will eat anything they can catch, so no fish and no shrimp.

-Lisa

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As long as you have seperate hiding spots and design the tank with having 2 seperate territories, it should work.

Ive always kept my crays with barbs.

torval

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
a 40gallon will hold 2 crayfish fine unless you house monsters like murray creek or giant tasmanian. i would not mix species. i also would not put them in with anything you do not wish to lose via crayfish. they can and do kill things bigger than them. 2 of any sex will be fine as long as there are plenty of hides.

oh, forgot to add, if 1 molts i usually move my other one to a 10 gallon i have setup for a day or 2, or you could put in a removeable divider. i've seen way too many people lose crays this way. if it is a common and easily replaceable cray and you're feeling lucky go for it, but i'd advise seperating them.

Last edited:

Chicklette

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Personally I think they should be a species only tank. When they molt fish tend to pick on them. Also they are aggressive with fish. I keep mine alone, no other fish, just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 67 67.0%

Top Bottom