Crayfish Tank Setup/what Kind Is He?

Discussion in 'Crayfish - Crawfish' started by Princethepurplebetta, May 29, 2019.

1. PrincethepurplebettaWell Known MemberMember

Hi guys. I just got a crayfish from my coworker and was wondering what the best setup would be. Hes currently in a 5gallon tank, filled half way with driftwood and a fake cichlid rock. Im planning on setting up a 10gallon for him. Any suggestions? Will a spongefilter work? Or should i just use a hob?

Also does anyone know what type he is? She said she got him from Petsmart (they said he came with their goldfish and didnt know what he even was).

How often should he be fed? I gave him some hikari crab pellets for now until i can get the shrimp ones.

He also has a lot of fuzz on him. Even on his eyes. Is that normal? When you zoom in on the photo you can see it.

20190529_193348.jpg

2. SixThreeOhWell Known MemberMember

Isn't owning crayfish illegal in Washington?

3. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Shhhhh. I won't tell if you won't.

4. St3v3New MemberMember

This is in Dryington?

5. St3v3New MemberMember

6. treadingwaterValued MemberMember

Hes not healthy so its hard to tell what kind he is. The fuzz is NOT normal.
    Mine eats everything. He really loves the algae wafers though. Just one small one the size of an aspirin per day is what mine eats. Sometimes I'll put in a chunk of raw tilapia and let him stuff himself on that. Just make sure to remove it after an hour or so. He also likes bloodworms but he doesn't always eat all of them all so make sure you clean the aquarium well if you do that.

7. PrincethepurplebettaWell Known MemberMember

Sorry for late replies! Its not illegal where i am (tri cities). Local petco sells them here. He molted again and all fuzz is gone. I have him in a 10gallon now, do you think thats ok for him? He eats anything i put in his tank fairly quickly :)

8. treadingwaterValued MemberMember

Mine is in a 10 and is pretty ok as far as I know. I don't speak craycray so I cant ask him but hes healthy and SEEMS happy so I guess that's a plus. Just make sure you vacuum the tank often because they are sloppy eaters.