Crayfish Please help!

1. J

JNikole New Member Member

We were "Gifted" a crayfish. My 5 year old son wanted one for our 55g tank. We have 2 mollies and 1 guppy in there. And now the crayfish.

Although this is a wonderful surprise for him and he's so excited, I must admit, I'm out of my element here. What does this fella even eat? I read that I should get him some type of pipe to hide in, what do you recommend? I don't want to stick a plain white PVC pipe in there. That would be ugly.

Basically just give me the run down on crayfish! Thanks yall! You've been so helpful with everything! 1467170844827.jpg

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What kind of decor do you have now? You can buy fake rock caves or my personal favourite is a clay pot tipped in its side.

Do you know what kind of crayfish you have? AFAIK they're omnivores but sinking shrimp pellets and bottom feeder wafers were a hit with mine.

3. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

They sell fake logs/pipes for plecos, that would probably work? Caves will also work like Cichlid stones and other types of decor that offer a safe haven. They might sell ones specifically for Crays. Sinking shrimp pellets should do fine as a feed for them. Slices of zucchini are good too. They will eat live plants so if you have any you want to keep I wouldn't leave them in with him.

4. OP
    OP
    J

JNikole New Member Member

Right now we have fake plants, one mountain/coral looking thing that has bubbles coming up behind it(this is the big piece in our tank), we have gravel on the bottom. I'll look into a clay pot to put. In there.
    Should I be able to buy the sinking food at any pet shop or Wal-Mart perhaps? How often should i feed him? A friend said he will likely eat our 3 fish. But I thought with it being such a large tank maybe not.
    Thanks for the help!

5. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Crayfish can be clever hunters. Mine climbed the plants, the ones she hadn't cut down, and managed to seriously injure one of my fish. This after reading how fish-safe the species was supposed to be:rolleyes:

And yes, I've seen sinking foods in many stores. You're better off getting a quality product and not a cheap one. Omega One is good, Hikari, New Life Spectrum. I'm sure there are others! Watch out for ones with lots of fillers. If you feed your fish live or frozen foods they like those, too. Bloodworms and chopped shrimp meat for example;)

6. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I would feed him daily as yes there's stories of cranky or hungry Crays nabbing small fish. So just be forewarned that it could happen, although with such a large tank I would hope not.