Crayfish On The Loose!

Platyarelife

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
I've heard the stories and now it's become a reality. My tangerine lobster has escaped somehow last night when I was sleeping. I am actually surprised he got out cuz the tank has a lip and is covered with a glass lid and a plastic lid the on the back where the filter goes. The stories are true! They are escape artists. We can't find him anywhere! I pray he comes outta hiding where ever he is.

JoeCamaro

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
Platyarelife said:
I've heard the stories and now it's become a reality. My tangerine lobster has escaped somehow last night when I was sleeping. I am actually surprised he got out cuz the tank has a lip and is covered with a glass lid and a plastic lid the on the back where the filter goes. The stories are true! They are escape artists. We can't find him anywhere! I pray he comes outta hiding where ever he is.
Oh wow. I hope you find it soon.

OP
Platyarelife

Platyarelife

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
JoeCamaro said:
Oh wow. I hope you find it soon.
Me too... It's bothering me so bad. I can't focus on anything. I love my little cray

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
4 years
Hopefully you can get him back into water before he dries up.
I wonder where he went.

OP
Platyarelife

Platyarelife

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
Fanatic said:
Hopefully you can get him back into water before he dries up.
I wonder where he went.
I guess they can live out of water for a few days. I've been trying to find him most the day and I know he has to be in the fish room cuz he can't fit under the door. He's big and red, you'd think he'd be easy to find.

OP
Platyarelife

Platyarelife

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
We have looked in every nook and every cranny and this lobster is nowhere to be found. It's like he vanished into thin air.

Carbeo

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
I've had it happen too. I'm sorry he isn't found yet. This might be annecdotal, but one time I found mine walking towards the bathroom when the shower was running to warm up. Running loud water might be worth a try to see if it has the strength to move towards it.

Attachments

CanadianFishFan

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
3 years
Carbeo said:
I've had it happen too. I'm sorry he isn't found yet. This might be annecdotal, but one time I found mine walking towards the bathroom when the shower was running to warm up. Running loud water might be worth a try to see if it has the strength to move towards it.
good idea

CanadianFishFan

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
3 years
careful where you step at night! And look on the floor and under your bed, close your doors so he can't run further. Maybe set out a tub of water on the floor with food. Or put cucumbers in a little bowl on the floor. can they climb up furniture? Ive never had one or no much about them, but I hope this helps!

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
Carbeo said:
Holy crud that things huge!

Carbeo

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Body maybe 6 or 7 inches. Less than a foot stretched out. She's about 6 years old.

OP
Platyarelife

Platyarelife

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
Redshark1 said:
I bet he's gonna murder you in the night!
Well, the night he went missing I woke up at 1 O clock hacking up a lung. So running joke is that I ate him in my sleep.

OP
Platyarelife

Platyarelife

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
CanadianFishFan said:
careful where you step at night! And look on the floor and under your bed, close your doors so he can't run further. Maybe set out a tub of water on the floor with food. Or put cucumbers in a little bowl on the floor. can they climb up furniture? Ive never had one or no much about them, but I hope this helps!
I don't know how well they move on land but in water, he can climb very well so I've been checking everywhere cords lead lol. We tore apart the room yesterday and couldn't find him. I am convinced that he can't fit under the bedroom door. The bedroom side of the door has a gap but the door is slightly on a slope so the other side of the door is almost touching the ground and he's a good size. I am rechecking places I've checked and this just baffles me. I've had him for many months now and he's never tried to escape, he only went to the top of the tank to eat the frogbit and I thought the plastic part by the filter was secure enough.

OP
Platyarelife

Platyarelife

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
He's about 4 inches and bright orange-red, you'd think he'd stand out!

CanadianFishFan

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
3 years
Platyarelife said:
I don't know how well they move on land but in water, he can climb very well so I've been checking everywhere cords lead lol. We tore apart the room yesterday and couldn't find him. I am convinced that he can't fit under the bedroom door. The bedroom side of the door has a gap but the door is slightly on a slope so the other side of the door is almost touching the ground and he's a good size. I am rechecking places I've checked and this just baffles me. I've had him for many months now and he's never tried to escape, he only went to the top of the tank to eat the frogbit and I thought the plastic part by the filter was secure enough.
Looks for cozy places, iver heard when people lose their geckos, skinks and snakes they all are finding a cozy warm place to sleep. Try my food idea or water dish. Are they nocturnal?

OP
Platyarelife

Platyarelife

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
CanadianFishFan said:
Looks for cozy places, iver heard when people lose their geckos, skinks and snakes they all are finding a cozy warm place to sleep. Try my food idea or water dish. Are they nocturnal?
I am going to get a bowl of some water and put food in it. I believe they are more active at night. He use to come out during the day and when I got more fish he wasn't having it and he would stay in his cave all day and come out for a bit at night.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
3 years
Platyarelife said:
I am going to get a bowl of some water and put food in it. I believe they are more active at night. He use to come out during the day and when I got more fish he wasn't having it and he would stay in his cave all day and come out for a bit at night.
Get a flash light and search for round black BEADY eyes in the dark

OP
Platyarelife

Platyarelife

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
Been looking in every nook and cranny and anything that would be cave-like because Roomba LOVES caves and hiding spots.

OP
Platyarelife

Platyarelife

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
CanadianFishFan said:
Get a flash light and search for round black BEADY eyes in the dark
That's what we've been doing. I pulled everything out from the corners and looked hard under the bed, around the computers. He went poof.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
3 years
Platyarelife said:
That's what we've been doing. I pulled everything out from the corners and looked hard under the bed, around the computers. He went poof.
how weird! start looking in any places that are small and things that can be opened. check you bed sheets . Also look in bags, backpacks and other small, places with a small opening.

OP
Platyarelife

Platyarelife

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
Still no lobster. I don't think we'll ever find him. Time to get a new cray!

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
4 years
Darn, no luck still?
How large of a place are you living in? I would never find a lost cray in my 48,000 sqft home.

I did once lose a hermit crab, but I tracked it down.
My brother found it while he was in the bathroom.

OP
Platyarelife

Platyarelife

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
Fanatic said:
Darn, no luck still?
How large of a place are you living in? I would never find a lost cray in my 48,000 sqft home.

I did once lose a hermit crab, but I tracked it down.
My brother found it while he was in the bathroom.
We live in a small 2 story house and our room is on the bottom floor and there is no way he would have been able to climb the stairs cuz they are much taller than he is. I've given up. No trace of him what-so-ever.

OP
Platyarelife

Platyarelife

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
Couldn't find a Roomba so I got this baby cray. Little smaller than my pointer finger and currently regrowing its leg. I even got it some new driftwood with a perfect shape for it to use as a cave. I tried to sex it and I think it's a girl. Any name ideas?

Attachments

New Threads