Crayfish On The Loose!

Discussion in 'Crayfish - Crawfish' started by Platyarelife, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Platyarelife

Platyarelife Well Known Member Member

I've heard the stories and now it's become a reality. My tangerine lobster has escaped somehow last night when I was sleeping. I am actually surprised he got out cuz the tank has a lip and is covered with a glass lid and a plastic lid the on the back where the filter goes. The stories are true! They are escape artists. We can't find him anywhere! I pray he comes outta hiding where ever he is.

2. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

Oh wow. I hope you find it soon.

3. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

Me too... It's bothering me so bad. I can't focus on anything. I love my little cray :(

4. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Hopefully you can get him back into water before he dries up.
    I wonder where he went.

5. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

I guess they can live out of water for a few days. I've been trying to find him most the day and I know he has to be in the fish room cuz he can't fit under the door. He's big and red, you'd think he'd be easy to find.

6. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

We have looked in every nook and every cranny and this lobster is nowhere to be found. It's like he vanished into thin air.

7. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I bet he's gonna murder you in the night!

8. Carbeo

Carbeo Well Known Member Member

I've had it happen too. I'm sorry he isn't found yet. This might be annecdotal, but one time I found mine walking towards the bathroom when the shower was running to warm up. Running loud water might be worth a try to see if it has the strength to move towards it.

Attached Files:

9. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

good idea

10. CanadianFishFan

careful where you step at night! And look on the floor and under your bed, close your doors so he cant run further. Maybe set out a tub of water on the floor with food. Or put cucumbers in a little bowl on the floor. can they climb up furniture? Ive never had one or no much about them, but i hope this helps!

11. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Holy crud that things huge!

12. CanadianFishFan

looks like a lobster

13. 2211Nighthawk

I thought it was!

14. Carbeo

Female cherax quadricarinatus. Reddit helped me figure it out.

Attached Files:

15. 2211Nighthawk

How big is she?

16. Carbeo

Body maybe 6 or 7 inches. Less than a foot stretched out. She's about 6 years old.

17. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

Well, the night he went missing I woke up at 1 O clock hacking up a lung. So running joke is that I ate him in my sleep.

18. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

I don't know how well they move on land but in water, he can climb very well so I've been checking everywhere cords lead lol. We tore apart the room yesterday and couldn't find him. I am convinced that he can't fit under the bedroom door. The bedroom side of the door has a gap but the door is slightly on a slope so the other side of the door is almost touching the ground and he's a good size. I am rechecking places I've checked and this just baffles me. I've had him for many months now and he's never tried to escape, he only went to the top of the tank to eat the frogbit and I thought the plastic part by the filter was secure enough. :confused:

19. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

He's about 4 inches and bright orange-red, you'd think he'd stand out!

20. CanadianFishFan

Looks for cozy places, iver heard when people lose their geckos, skinks and snakes they all are finding a cozy warm place to sleep. Try my food idea or water dish. Are they nocturnal?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice