Crayfish On The Loose! - Update

Platyarelife
I've heard the stories and now it's become a reality. My tangerine lobster has escaped somehow last night when I was sleeping. I am actually surprised he got out cuz the tank has a lip and is covered with a glass lid and a plastic lid the on the back where the filter goes. The stories are true! They are escape artists. We can't find him anywhere! I pray he comes outta hiding where ever he is.

JoeCamaro
I've heard the stories and now it's become a reality. My tangerine lobster has escaped somehow last night when I was sleeping. I am actually surprised he got out cuz the tank has a lip and is covered with a glass lid and a plastic lid the on the back where the filter goes. The stories are true! They are escape artists. We can't find him anywhere! I pray he comes outta hiding where ever he is.
Oh wow. I hope you find it soon.

Platyarelife
Oh wow. I hope you find it soon.
Me too... It's bothering me so bad. I can't focus on anything. I love my little cray

Fanatic
Hopefully you can get him back into water before he dries up.
I wonder where he went.

Platyarelife
Hopefully you can get him back into water before he dries up.
I wonder where he went.
I guess they can live out of water for a few days. I've been trying to find him most the day and I know he has to be in the fish room cuz he can't fit under the door. He's big and red, you'd think he'd be easy to find.

We have looked in every nook and every cranny and this lobster is nowhere to be found. It's like he vanished into thin air.

Redshark1
I bet he's gonna murder you in the night!

Carbeo
I've had it happen too. I'm sorry he isn't found yet. This might be annecdotal, but one time I found mine walking towards the bathroom when the shower was running to warm up. Running loud water might be worth a try to see if it has the strength to move towards it.

Attachments

• 20180312_054249.jpg
    20180312_054249.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 136
CanadianFishFan
I've had it happen too. I'm sorry he isn't found yet. This might be annecdotal, but one time I found mine walking towards the bathroom when the shower was running to warm up. Running loud water might be worth a try to see if it has the strength to move towards it.
good idea

careful where you step at night! And look on the floor and under your bed, close your doors so he can't run further. Maybe set out a tub of water on the floor with food. Or put cucumbers in a little bowl on the floor. can they climb up furniture? Ive never had one or no much about them, but I hope this helps!

2211Nighthawk
Holy crud that things huge!

CanadianFishFan
2211Nighthawk
Carbeo
looks like a lobster
Female cherax quadricarinatus. Reddit helped me figure it out.

Attachments

• 20171222_201217.jpg
    20171222_201217.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 111
2211Nighthawk
Female cherax quadricarinatus. Reddit helped me figure it out.
How big is she?

Carbeo
Body maybe 6 or 7 inches. Less than a foot stretched out. She's about 6 years old.

Platyarelife
I bet he's gonna murder you in the night!
Well, the night he went missing I woke up at 1 O clock hacking up a lung. So running joke is that I ate him in my sleep.

careful where you step at night! And look on the floor and under your bed, close your doors so he can't run further. Maybe set out a tub of water on the floor with food. Or put cucumbers in a little bowl on the floor. can they climb up furniture? Ive never had one or no much about them, but I hope this helps!
I don't know how well they move on land but in water, he can climb very well so I've been checking everywhere cords lead lol. We tore apart the room yesterday and couldn't find him. I am convinced that he can't fit under the bedroom door. The bedroom side of the door has a gap but the door is slightly on a slope so the other side of the door is almost touching the ground and he's a good size. I am rechecking places I've checked and this just baffles me. I've had him for many months now and he's never tried to escape, he only went to the top of the tank to eat the frogbit and I thought the plastic part by the filter was secure enough.

He's about 4 inches and bright orange-red, you'd think he'd stand out!

CanadianFishFan
I don't know how well they move on land but in water, he can climb very well so I've been checking everywhere cords lead lol. We tore apart the room yesterday and couldn't find him. I am convinced that he can't fit under the bedroom door. The bedroom side of the door has a gap but the door is slightly on a slope so the other side of the door is almost touching the ground and he's a good size. I am rechecking places I've checked and this just baffles me. I've had him for many months now and he's never tried to escape, he only went to the top of the tank to eat the frogbit and I thought the plastic part by the filter was secure enough.
Looks for cozy places, iver heard when people lose their geckos, skinks and snakes they all are finding a cozy warm place to sleep. Try my food idea or water dish. Are they nocturnal?

Platyarelife
Looks for cozy places, iver heard when people lose their geckos, skinks and snakes they all are finding a cozy warm place to sleep. Try my food idea or water dish. Are they nocturnal?
I am going to get a bowl of some water and put food in it. I believe they are more active at night. He use to come out during the day and when I got more fish he wasn't having it and he would stay in his cave all day and come out for a bit at night.

CanadianFishFan
I am going to get a bowl of some water and put food in it. I believe they are more active at night. He use to come out during the day and when I got more fish he wasn't having it and he would stay in his cave all day and come out for a bit at night.
Get a flash light and search for round black BEADY eyes in the dark

Platyarelife
Been looking in every nook and cranny and anything that would be cave-like because Roomba LOVES caves and hiding spots.

Get a flash light and search for round black BEADY eyes in the dark
That's what we've been doing. I pulled everything out from the corners and looked hard under the bed, around the computers. He went poof.

CanadianFishFan
That's what we've been doing. I pulled everything out from the corners and looked hard under the bed, around the computers. He went poof.
how weird! start looking in any places that are small and things that can be opened. check you bed sheets . Also look in bags, backpacks and other small, places with a small opening.

Platyarelife
Trying to catch a Roomba like... Here boy! Dinner time!

Still no lobster. I don't think we'll ever find him. Time to get a new cray!

Attachments

• 20180413_104843.jpg
    20180413_104843.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 107
2211Nighthawk
Still no lobster. I don't think we'll ever find him. Time to get a new cray!
Can you smuggle one up to Canada for me?

Fanatic
Darn, no luck still?
How large of a place are you living in? I would never find a lost cray in my 48,000 sqft home.

I did once lose a hermit crab, but I tracked it down.
My brother found it while he was in the bathroom.

Platyarelife
Darn, no luck still?
How large of a place are you living in? I would never find a lost cray in my 48,000 sqft home.

I did once lose a hermit crab, but I tracked it down.
My brother found it while he was in the bathroom.
We live in a small 2 story house and our room is on the bottom floor and there is no way he would have been able to climb the stairs cuz they are much taller than he is. I've given up. No trace of him what-so-ever.

Couldn't find a Roomba so I got this baby cray. Little smaller than my pointer finger and currently regrowing its leg. I even got it some new driftwood with a perfect shape for it to use as a cave. I tried to sex it and I think it's a girl. Any name ideas?

Attachments

• 20180415_142510.jpg
    20180415_142510.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 117
Platyarelife
I posted a few days ago about how my Tangerine Lobster, Roomba, ran away and we looked everywhere for him and couldn't find him. We even tore up the fish tank and couldn't find him. Yesterday I deep cleaned the tank and vacuumed the gravel really well, the decor isn't that complex so not so much he can hide.
He's been missing for days so we went and bought a new crayfish, an Electric Blue Lobster. I woke up this morning and found the new baby lobster had molted. My boyfriend came home and I wanted to show it all and in looking for the blue one... there he was. Roomba. That red crayfish is sitting in the log decor staring at us.
This dumb lobster has been in the tank this whole time and I have no clue where he could have been. I think he mastered the art of turning invisible.

BIG QUESTION: Can my Baby Lobster and Tangerine live together? I think they are both female (yes yes I keep calling it a He).

Lonefishkeeper
Crayfish can live together but they can be very vulnerable when molting that’s why you need a lot of hiding spaces you said that you don’t have many so recommend getting caves or a log etc

Oh and their not lobsters

Platyarelife
Crayfish can live together but they can be very vulnerable when molting that’s why you need a lot of hiding spaces you said that you don’t have many so recommend getting caves or a log etc
No no, I have hiding places but the decor isn't complex enough for a cray to hide and never be found. Like I can pick it up, move it around and find them but somehow Roomba went stealth mode. Lots of places for them to hide and claim.

Oh and their not lobsters
They are crayfish, as I said above. They are called a "Tangerine Lobster" and Electric blue Lobster". Though technically they are a freshwater lobster. Their anatomy is identical to a saltwater lobster, they are just smaller. Actually, all crayfish are, are small freshwater crustaceans.

JoeCamaro
Yay!
Glad she is ok.

This may be the first case where a fish/crustacean is sucked up by the vortex and able to come back.

I joke about a vortex that takes fish based on many mysterious disappearances without a trace. There was even one case where a person found some kuhlI loaches they they didn't have or remembering having.

Platyarelife
Yay!
Glad she is ok.

This may be the first case where a fish/crustacean is sucked up by the vortex and able to come back.

I joke about a vortex that takes fish based on many mysterious disappearances without a trace. There was even one case where a person found some kuhlI loaches they they didn't have or remembering having.
That is so strange! We checked all the decor really well and pokes around the rocks in case she buried herself. No movement when I siphoned the substrate. We had fixed the part we thought he escaped from, just to have him materialize in the stump decor. Glad she's not dead though.

Lonefishkeeper
I can tell if they are a boy or a girl do you mind sending a picture

Platyarelife
I can tell if they are a boy or a girl do you mind sending a picture
I can try to get a picture. The baby is off hiding someplace and gonna be hard to get.

Lonefishkeeper
Oh and I know what species you have your tangerine lobster is a procambarus clarkI your blue one is a procambarus alleni

Platyarelife
Oh and I know what species you have your tangerine lobster is a procambarus clarkI your blue one is a procambarus alleni
Did not know that! Thank you. So my little blue one will grow bigger.

Lonefishkeeper
Glad to help

They will both get bigger

BaraYoukai
Well...if he is a ninja lobster like you say...he should be fine right? lol
No no, I have hiding places but the decor isn't complex enough for a cray to hide and never be found. Like I can pick it up, move it around and find them but somehow Roomba went stealth mode. Lots of places for them to hide and claim.

Platyarelife
They will both get bigger
Roomba killed the blue one last night. So that answers that. Roomba isn't supposed to get more than 4-41/2 inches and he's about 4 now. He hasn't done any molting or growing in a while. I think he may be full grown.

Lonefishkeeper
Yeah explains if the blue one was small

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
George Haddaway
Replies
Views
Platyarelife
Replies
Views
noxifish