Crayfish Not Moving

Tbenn

Reaction score
Last week, my crayfish escaped his tank and fell about 5 feet. I'm not sure how long he was out of the water, and I was positive he was dead when I found him, but put him into a bucket of clean very shallow aquarium water with an aerator anyway. Not sure what I was expecting, but he eventually started moving again. By the next day, he was totally back to himself so he was eventually re-introduced to his tank. After a while, he was climbing, walking fine, and even stealing food from my other cray. He went right back into his habitat, and seemed completely fine for several days like nothing happened. Yesterday, he seemed like he stopped in one spot for an usually long time right in the middle of his usual activities. His antennae are moving, and ocassionally a leg or two, but it seems like he has not moved otherwise. I nudged him gently with a net and he moved some, but a few hours later when I tried again, he fell to his side. I stood him back up but only his antennae move, he doesn't even move when the other cray touches him, which is unusual. I'm not sure what might've happened, unless he was just suffering some after effects of his time out of water that just didn't pop up until now. He seems weak, and I'm afraid he's dying/dead but I'm not sure what to do. His nutrients are perfect, and the other cray is much smaller than him and not confrontational at all so I know he hasn't been picked on. I would give up on him, but I've seen him come back from being much worse off when I didn't think he could, so I'm afraid to pull him out of the tank.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI Tbenn welcome to fishlore
Had he not fallen I'd have said he was getting ready to moult but the fact he as now gone on his side dosnt sound good for this guy it's almost a delayed shock, stress and possible internal injuries, don't give up just yet if hes still moving give him a chance but check him every few hrs
They can survive a few days out of the water but do dehydrate

OP
Tbenn

Tbenn

Reaction score
richie.p said:
HI Tbenn welcome to fishlore
Had he not fallen I'd have said he was getting ready to moult but the fact he as now gone on his side dosnt sound good for this guy it's almost a delayed shock, stress and possible internal injuries, don't give up just yet if hes still moving give him a chance but check him every few hrs
They can survive a few days out of the water but do dehydrate
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately he did die. It seemed very sudden, but I think it probably was delayed effects. It's a shame, I was so relieved when he seemed to come back to life, but I knew it was a possibility it would have consequences. I have since closed off the tank much better so my other cray stands no chance at escaping.

New Threads