Crayfish Mating

Discussion in 'Crayfish - Crawfish' started by Crazy Crays24, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Crazy Crays24Valued MemberMember

Crayfish Mating Questions

I have a male and a female crayfish in a tank together. They were in a 5 gallon, and the male ripped off one of the female's claws off. Does that always mean that they mated if the male takes off the female's claw?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  2. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

No, crays even a male and a female will get into some fights. They are territoral even being opposite genders. I wouldnt have a male and a female together in the same tank at all. Really I wouldnt have two crays of any kind in a tank together.

3. Crazy Crays24Valued MemberMember

Ok thank you. Do you have any info on how to breed them since I already have them together?

4. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

I don't have experience with breeding them yet...I've only been keeping them for over a month. I cant say a lot other then what I have learned.  
    I have used that site in the past to research things before. I find their info pretty good and trusting. But thats just IMO. Best of Luck with breeding them. If you get a success post some pictures lol.

5. Crazy Crays24Valued MemberMember

ok, thank you. That website said that the pregnancy process takes at least 4 weeks and its only been about 2 since she lost her claw, so in about 2 more weeks I will definatly be able to tell

6. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

The male will flip the female over on her back and climb on top. the chances that your crayfish mated in a 5 gallon are slim to none. and generally, they will not loose limbs while mating....they were fighting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice