Crayfish Mating

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Crayfish Mating Questions

I have a male and a female crayfish in a tank together. They were in a 5 gallon, and the male ripped off one of the female's claws off. Does that always mean that they mated if the male takes off the female's claw?

Last edited:

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
No, crays even a male and a female will get into some fights. They are territoral even being opposite genders. I wouldnt have a male and a female together in the same tank at all. Really I wouldnt have two crays of any kind in a tank together.

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok thank you. Do you have any info on how to breed them since I already have them together?

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't have experience with breeding them yet...I've only been keeping them for over a month. I cant say a lot other then what I have learned. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/inv/breedingcrayfish.php
I have used that site in the past to research things before. I find their info pretty good and trusting. But thats just IMO. Best of Luck with breeding them. If you get a success post some pictures lol.

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok, thank you. That website said that the pregnancy process takes at least 4 weeks and its only been about 2 since she lost her claw, so in about 2 more weeks I will definatly be able to tell

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The male will flip the female over on her back and climb on top. the chances that your crayfish mated in a 5 gallon are slim to none. and generally, they will not loose limbs while mating....they were fighting.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom