Crayfish Mating

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Crayfish Mating Questions

I have a male and a female crayfish in a tank together. They were in a 5 gallon, and the male ripped off one of the female's claws off. Does that always mean that they mated if the male takes off the female's claw?

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
No, crays even a male and a female will get into some fights. They are territoral even being opposite genders. I wouldnt have a male and a female together in the same tank at all. Really I wouldnt have two crays of any kind in a tank together.

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok thank you. Do you have any info on how to breed them since I already have them together?

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't have experience with breeding them yet...I've only been keeping them for over a month. I can't say a lot other then what I have learned. https://www.aquaticcommunity.com/inv/breedingcrayfish.php
I have used that site in the past to research things before. I find their info pretty good and trusting. But that's just IMO. Best of Luck with breeding them. If you get a success post some pictures lol.

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok, thank you. That website said that the pregnancy process takes at least 4 weeks and its only been about 2 since she lost her claw, so in about 2 more weeks I will definitely be able to tell

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The male will flip the female over on her back and climb on top. the chances that your crayfish mated in a 5 gallon are slim to none. and generally, they will not loose limbs while mating....they were fighting.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads