Crayfish In A 55 Endler Tank?

1. Fishgirl71

Fishgirl71 Valued Member Member

Hi guys! Sorry I have been so MIA on this board. I finished my final semester in Nursing school and now am now studying for my boards. I love studying so much I am playing on Fishlore.

My daughter, who is in 3rd grade, had class crayfish that were being rehomed before the end of the school year. I decided to take one because it was free, and why not? Well, I put it in my 55 endler tank. She has eaten one endler already, and I was wondering how many endlers a day a crayfish can consume? The tank is overfilled with endlers right now, but I feel guilty putting this unexpected predator in their midst. Should I move the crayfish to another tank?

My local fish store is not accepting endlers right now, and I have 6 smaller tanks dedicated to certain strains of endlers. The 55 is my hybrid- anything goes-tank. I have another 55 waiting to be set up to reduce the quantity of endlers in my original 55, but I have not had time due to the studying I am supposed to be doing for the NCLEX exam.

I feel like I am watching Jaws every time I watch this crayfish in this tank. I was kinda shocked to see the elementary school teacher had the crayfish in open tupperware container with very little water. I am sure this poor crayfish cannot believe his luck being in a 55 with little endler fish all around.

What would you guys do? Leave "Mrs. Tickles" in here, or put her in another tank? Thanks in advance IMG_7492 - Copy.JPG IMG_7491.jpg
    Best Lisa.

2. Harvster10

Harvster10 Valued Member Member

Crayfish are natural predators. If you compare the size of the claws to the endlers they are the perfect snack. I think you only option is to move it’s tank. Bearing in mind have to have a safe space to shed

3. OP
    OP
    Fishgirl71

Yes, I probably can find a spot to put Mrs. Tickles in, but I have rams and cory cats in my other tanks that do not have endlers. I am worried about them getting eaten as well. I have A TON of endlers in this tank, and I am concerned about over-crowding because it leads to disease susceptibility. It is going to be 2 weeks before I will have time to set up the 2 new tanks I am planning on, and even so, I will still have too many endlers. I could give them away on my fish board, but I do not have time time for people who want only 4 endlers for free, and they want to come to my home and pick them out from my fish tank. (This really has happened). These are free fish! Not puppies.

Anyway, I guess I will have to learn to live with the guilt for the next 2 weeks until I find a solution. Mrs. Tickles is going to be the happiest crayfish in all of Idaho until then.

Thanks, Lisa.

4. Harvster10

Harvster10 Valued Member Member

Would you be able to move the corys out as the cray fish don’t like other bottom feeders. As long as your rams are quite big you’ll be fine

5. OneLittleBubble

OneLittleBubble Well Known Member Member

The crayfish will kill all of the fish when they are sleeping on the ground

6. OP
    OP
    Fishgirl71

Thanks for the replies people. I am riddled with guilt and cannot study for my nursing boards until I find a solution for my dilemma. Here are the most simple options:

1. 46 RAM tank with 3 yo yo loaches. Worries this tank is too hot for the the crayfish as it is a balmy 82 degrees. The crayfish will be cooked in time for dinner!
    2. Move 3 GBR in a 20 hexagon tank to the 46 with the other 4 rams. Reduce temp in the 20 hexagon to 75 and let Mrs . Tickles enjoy a solitary existance with just 4 baby plecos for company. (Not much floor area for the crayfish, but decent

Oooops hit spacebar trying to indent. Party foul!! Sent message too early.
    3. Remove Albino cories and put them in Endler tank and put crayfish in 44 gallon pentagon with a bunch of white skirt tetras and 3 medium silver philipine angel fish....
    4. Remove 4 random cories from a 30 gallon high tank and put crayfish in here. It has 5 rasboras, 5 glo light tetras, and 6 black neon tetras along 1 BN pleco.

Which choice is best??? Thanks for the help. I should have thought this out before agreeing to take a crayfish..... :stop::banghead:

7. OP
    OP
    Fishgirl71

Any thoughts on the best option? Maybe the 44 with 3 anglels and skirt tetras?

8. Aureus

Aureus Valued Member Member

The crayfish will probably kill any fish that it's put in with. Personally, I would suggest trying to rehome it as it will probably end up outgrowing the 20 hexagon even if it is in there alone. That's just my 2 cents and I'm sure other members will have different opinions on the matter.

9. OP
    OP
    Fishgirl71

Thanks Aureus. I will move the crayfish to the 20 gallon for now. As I mentioned my daughter got him from school, so I might wait till the summer to rehome him. Kinda looks bad to get rid of the guy when she is still at school as I know the first thing she will do is tell the teacher I got rid of Mrs. Tickles.....:emoji_astonished:

10. Aureus

Is there any way that you could determine the species of the crayfish? That would be extremely helpful in finding out her maximum size, and thus what tank size would be appropriate for her if you did want to keep her.

11. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

You could always replace the 20 hexagon with a 20 gallon long, or even a 10 gallon if you don't have very much space. Anything with a larger bottom would be better for her.

12. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I’d be more concerned for the small plecos.

The crayfish will just eat any fish it will be with.

13. OP
    OP
    Fishgirl71

I don't really have room to add another tank right now. The hex is on a stand, and my husband will freak if I bring a 10 into the house right now. (I have 15 fish tanks). Anyway, I'll put the bristle nose in another tank. I currently have a 20 gallon upstairs with about 60 baby BN plecos in it. I just wanted to keep a few, and this is why I have 2 or 3 in every tank.

Thanks for the help. I am 50% through with operation "Save The Endlers" .....
    Cheers,
    Lisa.

14. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

A crayfish came in with the goldfish at my local petco, it was placed with the minnows because it was snapping at the goldfish - it immediately grabbed up one of the minnows that could have swam away and began munching.
    Crayfish, specially larger ones, cannot be trusted with any fish, especially bottom dwellers and those with flowing fins that wiggle in the water flow - plecos would be in danger because they like the same places as the cray to hide.
    The crayfish would likely be okay with the endlers for a couple weeks without too many casualties however any plecos and cories will be targets as soon as they rest.

15. OP
    OP
    Fishgirl71

Thanks everyone for the honest input and advice. I removed the plecos, and the crayfish is now in her own 20 gallon tank. I will post a photo from my phone shortly. I believe she was being housed in a tupperware container with minimal water at school, so even though this tank is smaller than the 55, I think she will like it.

16. OP
    OP
    Fishgirl71

IMG_7522.JPG

17. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I'm so glad you moved the crayfish. I was trying not to hyperventilate while reading through the posts to the last one ;)

18. OP
    OP
    Fishgirl71

Hey Endlercollector! Didn't you guys say I would need to find a fish that would eat endlers when the numbers of endlers in my tank got too large? The crayfish was only in my endler tank for 24 hours. I know she ate one endler, but to be honest, I don't see me being able to add predator fish to my tanks to reduce endler numbers.

I have 7 assorted tanks of endlers. I can already see the endlermarket in Boise is becoming flooded because I am not the only person with endlers around here. . I am not sure what I will do with all these fish...... :emoji_interrobang:

19. OP
    OP
    Fishgirl71

To clarify,
    I was so worried about the endlers getting eaten, I spent the day obsessing over my endlers safety... I may see if the school's daycare might want Mrs. Tickles and a free ten gallon tank...

20. Aureus

Is there any way that you could/ would be willing to sell the endlers online?