Crayfish Id Please

Discussion in 'Crayfish - Crawfish' started by Namtab, Apr 20, 2017.

1. NamtabWell Known MemberMember

So today while looking around petco (needed a adjustable 50w heater and a net)
    I found this little bugger in the GloFish tank.
    0419171759.jpg

Can anybody ID it for me?

I was VERY surprised to see him at petco as almost all crayfish species are illegal in my state.

He was listed as a "Tangerine Lobster" if that helps at all.

*edit: not sure why the picture was flipped, sorry.

2. Catfish12345Valued MemberMember

Looks like a CPO

3. NamtabWell Known MemberMember

Also his buddy in the tank adjacent ("Vanilla Lobster") who just molted, so I couldn't get a good picture.
    0419171800.jpg

4. NamtabWell Known MemberMember

Isn't it a little big to be a cpo?

5. Catfish12345Valued MemberMember

Nvm first post. Both seem to be Procambarus clarkii

6. The Crayfish KingWell Known MemberMember

The orange one looks like a P. clarkii morph to me. I'm not sure about the "vanilla" one though.

7. Catfish12345Valued MemberMember

I did some research and found a similar P.clarkii morph to the vanilla one

8. NamtabWell Known MemberMember

Interesting... I am 99% sure that that particular crayfish is illegal (very difficult to find info on which crays are illegal and which are not) in my state

I wonder if they have a permit to sell them.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  9. MossBallValued MemberMember

I really like the "vanilla" one if anyone knows for sure what it is, let me know plz. And the Orange one looks like a Tangerine just like it was labeled. Not a CPO. The Tangerine gets much bigger and are much more aggresive with tank mates. You can tell from the bigger & longer claws. But I could be wrong, just my 2cents from doing research the past two weeks on different kinda of dwarf crayfish.

10. MossBallValued MemberMember

Pretty sure the "vanilla" one is a Brazos Dwarf Mexican Crayfish/Mini Lobster (Cambarellus texanus) Also agressive with tank mates. But neither of the two are as agressive as full size crayfish. I would not put a CPO with either of those two.