Crayfish Id Please

Discussion in 'Crayfish - Crawfish' started by Namtab, Apr 20, 2017.

1. NamtabWell Known MemberMember

So today while looking around petco (needed a adjustable 50w heater and a net)
    I found this little bugger in the GloFish tank.
    0419171759.jpg

Can anybody ID it for me?

I was VERY surprised to see him at petco as almost all crayfish species are illegal in my state.

He was listed as a "Tangerine Lobster" if that helps at all.

*edit: not sure why the picture was flipped, sorry.

2. Catfish12345Valued MemberMember

Looks like a CPO

3. NamtabWell Known MemberMember

Also his buddy in the tank adjacent ("Vanilla Lobster") who just molted, so I couldn't get a good picture.
    0419171800.jpg

4. NamtabWell Known MemberMember

Isn't it a little big to be a cpo?

5. Catfish12345Valued MemberMember

Nvm first post. Both seem to be Procambarus clarkii

6. The Crayfish KingWell Known MemberMember

The orange one looks like a P. clarkii morph to me. I'm not sure about the "vanilla" one though.

7. Catfish12345Valued MemberMember

I did some research and found a similar P.clarkii morph to the vanilla one

8. NamtabWell Known MemberMember

Interesting... I am 99% sure that that particular crayfish is illegal (very difficult to find info on which crays are illegal and which are not) in my state

I wonder if they have a permit to sell them.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  9. MossBallValued MemberMember

I really like the "vanilla" one if anyone knows for sure what it is, let me know plz. And the Orange one looks like a Tangerine just like it was labeled. Not a CPO. The Tangerine gets much bigger and are much more aggresive with tank mates. You can tell from the bigger & longer claws. But I could be wrong, just my 2cents from doing research the past two weeks on different kinda of dwarf crayfish.

10. MossBallValued MemberMember

Pretty sure the "vanilla" one is a Brazos Dwarf Mexican Crayfish/Mini Lobster (Cambarellus texanus) Also agressive with tank mates. But neither of the two are as agressive as full size crayfish. I would not put a CPO with either of those two.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice