Crayfish Id Help

thequietman44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I rescued a couple baby crayfish from my LFS. I was told they were marbled crayfish but at the time they were too small to tell what they were. Now two months later one of them is enormous (~4" nose to tail) and the other is still pretty small (2.5" if that). They're both in the same tank (divided) and eat the same food, but the larger one rampages around ripping up decorations and furiously attacking the glass whenever I walk by. The smaller one usually just sits there munching algae wafers or hiding in the rock cave.

I know there can be some variation in size and some crayfish grow more quickly than others, but if they are marbled crayfish I would expect them to be much closer in size and temperament. Also the larger one has mostly lost the mottled gray appearance and is more of a reddish brown color (the smaller one is still gray). Does anyone have an idea what kind of crayfish this is?

IMG_20190310_200417503.jpg

IMG_20190310_181623169.jpg

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
They might be a darker strain of marbled

Suzanne2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Your crayfish are beautiful! It's notoriously difficult to ID crayfish from what I learned when I figured out what kind I had. The back (carapace) shape and the underside can help with I'd but many are so similar.
Your big one sounds like my crayfish in its decoration destroying antics! And it is begging at the glass to get you to feed it (I think they would eat non stop if allowed to). Mine begs all the time, and is now huge!!

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The only one that comes close to it is is the blue Florida crayfish which as the brown colour making it the wild type and grows 4"+. I don't fancy that poor cherries chances it will definitely be on the menu

thequietman44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
richie.p said:
The only one that comes close to it is is the blue Florida crayfish which as the brown colour making it the wild type and grows 4"+. I don't fancy that poor cherries chances it will definitely be on the menu
Three RCS must have gotten into that tank when I moved a spare seed sponge filter from my shrimp tank to the crayfish tank to jumpstart the cycle. They were too small to see but now after a couple months they've gotten pretty large. Oddly enough the crayfish doesn't really bother with them. They just swim around eating algae and leftovers, occasionally landing on the crayfish itself. Going on 2 months now and there are still 3 of them, 1 berried female. I thought nature would take its course but maybe I'll end up with another small shrimp colony :wideyed:

The perspective in the photo actually makes it look like the shrimp is huge and nearly within the crayfish's grasp, but it's actually only about 1" long and in the foreground.

Suzanne2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Since I see you are in PA your lfs may have gotten some "local" crayfish in with their feeder fish.
My Crayfish is a white river crayfish from my pond here in NY
She is probably around 6 inches now! This is an older picture of her.
0206191835.jpg

JaksAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
richie.p said:
I was going to say that

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Suzanne2 that's a real close look alike as well

thequietman44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Suzanne2 said:
Since I see you are in PA your lfs may have gotten some "local" crayfish in with their feeder fish.
My Crayfish is a white river crayfish from my pond here in NY
She is probably around 6 inches now! This is an older picture of her.
0206191835.jpg
That's almost exactly what my larger cray looks like. I may be able to find out where the LFS gets their deliveries from and that may narrow down the origin. This may actually end up being a good thing since I don't really have a place to put hundreds of baby marmorkrebs

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
blue velvet keeper said:
I was going to say that
Sorry got there first

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads