Crayfish Growth

Ssattler0327

I’ve had my blue crayfish for almost 3 years. This Greyish growth started appearing a few days ago. Does anyone know what it is and how to treat?
She molted a few months ago. Water GH is 15, PH remains at 7.4. Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates tightly monitored and controlled. Advise please?!

Attachments

• 55C8F4B2-F1D7-4C36-8202-C16BAC6A55FD.jpeg
    55C8F4B2-F1D7-4C36-8202-C16BAC6A55FD.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 35

richiep

Fishlore Legend
Is it definitely on her body, can you pick her up and see if they are coming out from under the carapace if they are then I think it maybe part of her gills but you need to look closer

Ssattler0327

it is only on 1 side. Like think grey "fingers" - is it her gills? Is this lethal? Anything I can do?

Ssattler0327

Is it definitely on her body, can you pick her up and see if they are coming out from under the carapace if they are then I think it maybe part of her gills but you need to look closer
I have 7 crayfish - most that have lasted years due to the way we manage the water. The last tank change - there's been more debrie in the water than typical in the past years (removed it again today - 1 week later vs typical water changes every 3-4 weeks) I feed her algae wafers and sometimes a shrimp pellet.

richiep

Fishlore Legend
If it is part of her gill theres nothing you can do except mak sure you do weekly water changes as fresh water is so important for these guys, we have a member I helped and almost all the gill was exposed and she lasted quite a while, its right on the end of the carapace and if you pick her up you can do a better examination, if its stuck on the shell it should come away

Ssattler0327

If it is part of her gill theres nothing you can do except mak sure you do weekly water changes as fresh water is so important for these guys, we have a member I helped and almost all the gill was exposed and she lasted quite a while, its right on the end of the carapace and if you pick her up you can do a better examination, if its stuck on the shell it should come away
will it be corrected if she molts again?

richiep

Fishlore Legend
That may be a problem when she next moults, when I first saw it I thought she had a bad moult and left part of her gill exposed which can happen, when she next moults if it is part of the gill then the problem could very well be increased leaving even more gill out, at the moment if it is part of the gill I dont think it'll affect her greatly, when your son picks her up tell him to move that part gently side to side by pouring water on the area to see if its going under the carapace

Ssattler0327

one question - i read elsewhere on this forum to add calcium or iodine in the water to help her. Should I do this? GH stays at 15, PH at 7.4, and nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia at the lowest levels. She is in a 20L aquarium with 2 filters running.
If I give her calcium or iodine - what would that be?

Ssattler0327

That may be a problem when she next moults, when I first saw it I thought she had a bad moult and left part of her gill exposed which can happen, when she next moults if it is part of the gill then the problem could very well be increased leaving even more gill out, at the moment if it is part of the gill I dont think it'll affect her greatly, when your son picks her up tell him to move that part gently side to side by pouring water on the area to see if its going under the carapace
one question - i read elsewhere on this forum to add calcium or iodine in the water to help her. Should I do this? GH stays at 15, PH at 7.4, and nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia at the lowest levels. She is in a 20L aquarium with 2 filters running.
If I give her calcium or iodine - what would that be?

richiep

Fishlore Legend
Don't give iodine thats normally used in marine tanks as sea water dosnt have any, if you feed cooked like vegetables broccoli, zucchini, spinach, kale that will help to condition her shell and give all the calcium she needs

richiep

Fishlore Legend
You should be changing 8ltr of water per week in a 20ltr to help keep them all in good condition

Ssattler0327

You should be changing 8ltr of water per week in a 20ltr to help keep them all in good condition
I think I probably pushed her hardness (GH) too high. The water where we find our native crayfish has a GH of 14....so all of these tanks are changes to maintain PH before/after change and hold a hardness of approx 14-15.
thinking I'll do a water change and bring it down closer to 13ish.... thoughts?

richiep

Fishlore Legend
Gh range for these is more 5 to 10 but if the water you find them is 14 then thats what to aim for

Ssattler0327

Gh range for these is more 5 to 10 but if the water you find them is 14 then thats what to aim for
For those we found in the creeks (5 of our 7) - GH was at 14 - so we were trying to match as closely as possible. 14 is probably a bit high for the 2 blue crayfish we purchased....I can bring that down with the next water change as we have very soft water where we live and add hardener. I'll move to 10 to not shock them so much
For the native MN crayfish - my boys find them when they are about 1/2" long... and we watch through the molts the many "variations of a crayfish" as they completely change in size, coloring, "thickness", etc. Once we learned to match the PH (before/after water changes) and hold the hardness closer to 9 mile creek where we found them. They live about 3+ years - which is pretty cool.

Thanks for your help! so appreciate it. Wonderful having someone with some great knowledge and experience!

richiep

Fishlore Legend
We are a bit limited on crayfish input but there's always interest, id love to try it the way you do but we only have two specias in the uk and only one other is alloud for import so we are limited

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
Tian
Replies
Views
ACE37
Replies
Views
ACE37
Replies
Views
TheDarkAbyss

Did You Know...

Cycling a tank with fish already in it because you were unaware of the nitrogen cycle? Well lucky for you, mattgirl has a great thread on what to do:
Fish In Nitrogen Cycle Simplified

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom