Crayfish female with eggs

AquaAlic

I have a blue FL crayfish (Procambarus alleni) which is apparently female. She's been acting weird and reclusive and today I discovered why, she's got eggs!

I got her over a year ago as a baby from a friend who bred them. So she was around males but only briefly as a young crayfish, can they really store sperm for over a year?! Or is it more likely she is just carrying unfertilized eggs?

richiep

It's known that cray can hold sperm for several months plus so it possible she as been holding it and just waiting for the right time
Make sure you have hiding places for her and expect nog to see much of her she may even stop feeding for a while if she hides spot feed by the entrance at lights out, if its there in the morning take left over out
Got any pictures

AquaAlic

I knew a few months but over a year?! I've had her that long in a tank by herself... and yes she dug a deep burrow in the sand and hadn't molted in a while, which is what got me worried enough to check if she was ok and noticed all the eggs - attaching a picture, not the best but didn't want to disturb her more moving stuff

This article seems legitimate, and shows cases where this species has self-cloned in the wild, I wonder if that is possible in my case?
Discovery of four natural clones in a crayfish species Procambarus clarkii

Attachments

• IMG_0694.jpg
    IMG_0694.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 14

richiep

She's well berried and already doing what I said, she won't molt now or if she dose she will loose those eggs and you would have to tumble them to hatch,
I suppose its possible she as self cloned, how long as she been berried

AquaAlic

well the eggs disappeared after a few days, so I guess they weren't fertilized

richiep

What a shame its unusual for them to carry un fertilised eggs

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
H Farnsworth
Replies
Views
SavTheArtist