Crayfish Escape Story

Discussion in 'Crayfish - Crawfish' started by LSquareds, Jul 25, 2019.

?

Should I stick with serasaran wrap or find a lid

Poll closed Jul 28, 2019.
  1. Saran wrap

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Lid

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. LSquareds

LSquaredsNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    Just started
    Okay so this scared the **** out of me I went on vacation for two weeks and when I got back I went to feed my crayfish noticed something was wrong when he didn’t eat his food I searched his tank gone completely I panicked and searched everywhere thinking I was gonna find a dried out crayfish and I ended up finding him hours later behind my dresser. I was so relieved that he was okay and I adjusted him back to the water. His ammonia levels were off balance i figured that’s why he escaped I have since put Saran Wrap over the tank so he can’t get out and I check his water regularly a happy ending

2. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,473
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    you are lucky he could't have been out long, vacation 2 weeks as you say sent him looking for fresh water, at least hes ok and you have the knowledge to know why and how to reintroduce him , glad hes ok

3. PabloFish

PabloFishValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +13
    Experience:
    Just started
    Doesn't saran wrap make the water stale?

4. Canaculus

CanaculusWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,602
    Glad he's okay. One of my fiddler crabs got out of my brackish tank upstairs, went down the hall, down the stairs, and almost into the living room before I found him and put him back.

I'd go with a lid that has small holes punched in it. I feel like the saran wrap would prohibit proper oxygenation of the water.

5. PabloFish

PabloFishValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +13
    Experience:
    Just started
    You can also get one of these, depending on the size of the tank, can be bought for $7-$10
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Exo-Terra-Screen-Cover-15-20-Gallon/193424549

I put mine over the lid, so it doesn't interfere with the light. Filter might be a problem, I am using this with my sponge filter tank, my other tank had cardboard + book over the lid as guard to keep my cray in the tank, but now my cray is too big to fit through the gaps of the lid. I still see her claw stick out of the edge of the lid time to time, but she can't get out. It's fascinating watching her try to escape.