Crayfish Breeding

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Arades, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Arades

Arades Valued Member Member

Hello there,

Im new to this forum and i need some help with breeding crayfish! I currently have 2 male crayfish in seperate tubs, one orange one white! I wanna get a female for each the same colour and breed them, the tubs i have are big enough for two crays and i also have 2 other tubs for the baby crays (to seperate the bigger ones from the smaller ones! If anyone has any tips that would be great, thanks!!!

2. OldFort Exotics

OldFort Exotics Valued Member Member

First off welcome to the group. I have keep a few different crayfish over the years and they are pretty cool.

I can't be 100% sure with out knowing what cray fish you have but a lot of the color morphs are the same crayfish just line breed to get colors and keep the colors breeding true. So you could have the colors cross breed so good idea to keep them in different tanks for sure, plus adults will kill each other some times. As far as breeding give them lots of room and hiding spots, water should be in mid 70s and give them some time. You will notice the female having lots of eggs under her tail where she will carry them for 30-45 days(if my memory is right) then they will drop. Most crayfish will eat the babies after they are release from mom so you will want to move the adults out soon. You could remove the male a few days after the spawn it will keep the female from stressing out as much.

As they grow you will have to give them lots and lots of hiding places and move the larger ones out as they grow or they will start eating each other.

Others might have more info and tips but that is all I can recall off top of my head, it has been a few years last time I breed them.

3. OP
    OP
    Arades

Thanks for the reply! Theyre eletric crayfish i think, ill upload a picture of one. I have plenty of pvp pipes. I have a place to put the female when she is full of eggs!

Here is the picture: IMG_20170411_150256.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017
  4. OldFort Exotics

He looks nice. The electric blue are Procambarus alleni and most crayfish in the hobby are the same species just a different color variant. When they are that size you should be able to tell the male from female pretty easy. Good luck breeding them.

The thing I love about crayfish is the attitude. In the wild everything from raccoons, fish, turtles, snakes and other crayfish want to eat these guys as a easy meal, they are the bottom of the food chain. But they do survive in the wild and do well in many places. They have almost no fear and are always ready for a fight, what is not to love about these guys.

For the same reasons I don't keep many of them anymore just hard to get good tank mates and not willing to setup single tanks for them anymore. I'm down to only the marbled crayfish because they can stay together but thinking about getting rid of these too.

5. OP
    OP
    Arades

Thanks, the only thing im worried about is the other male. His claws are very small because when i bought him his claws were in half! Ill post a picture of the other one! Will he still be able to breed if the female has bigger claws? Also, will they breed the same if they ere different colours? Here is the picture: IMG_20170411_130732.jpg

6. OldFort Exotics

The claws will grow back just fine but might tank a few molts, as far as breeding he might want to breed but she might not let him it will depend on the female. If it was me I would allow him to molt 2 or 3 times and let the claws come back, they won't be huge but should help him.

If the female is a different color the should try to breed but I have no idea what they might look like. They could be a mix of the two colors, look just like one of the parents or they could go back to the wild colors of brown/green.

7. OP
    OP
    Arades

Okay, im getting two females tommorow and i mighy put them both with the orange cray?

8. OldFort Exotics

Just watch them to make sure there isn't fighting and have lots of hiding places.

If they don't have a place they can hide and feel safe they won't molt as often and it will cause stress issues.

Do you keep them with fish are all? Just wondering because I have found fish will get eaten.

9. OP
    OP
    Arades

No, i keep them on their own. Im not home right now but when i get home ill post pictures of their underside just to make sure they are both males because the guy at the petstore said that the white one was female but the both have 2 swimmerets past their legs. They didnt have any at the petstore so ill have to wait!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  10. OP
    OP
    Arades

Here is the picture, sorry if its not really that clear! 2017-04-14_17.51.38.jpg Edit: Maybe @The Crayfish King could chime in and help.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  11. The Crayfish King

The Crayfish King Well Known Member Member

12. OP
    OP
    Arades

and the petstore said it was a female?

13. The Crayfish King

That seems to be the case

14. OP
    OP
    Arades

So its not a male??? I am so confused lol.

15. The Crayfish King

Lol I mean that the crayfish is definitely a male, the pet store got it wrong

16. OP
    OP
    Arades

They went by something on their third set of legs!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice