crayfish being fed with shrimp and vegetables... is it safe?

h4nd

Reaction score
hi...

I am a newbie in crayfish area.
I have 1 male and 2 females of Red Claw (Cherax Quadricarinatus).

I read that when they are molting, they need calcium. And after the molting process they ate
their exo-skeleton to get the calcium back.

So.. I fed my crayfish with shrimp. I thought that shrimp also has exo-skeleton containing calcium.
My crayfish seems very happy.

I also fed frozen vegetables (carrot, bean, corn). My crayfish seems like them.

Is it safe to feed my crayfish with shrimp and vegetable?
any negative impact ?

Thanks,

rgds,
h4ndjojo

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know anything about crayfish, but I'm pretty sure shrimp are pretty much disease-free, so they would probably be safe to feed, if that's what you're wondering.

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't be a problem as long as you use the shrimp and veggies as a supplement to normal crayfish pellets..what is more worrying to me is, do you have them all in the same tank?.. if that's the case and they're still young, then you shouldn't have a problem, but the older they get is the more territorial they become and you could have some casualties..there are exceptions to every rule we know about fish and invertebrates, but based on what we observed with Captain Kirk and his former tankmates, and what we've seen at some of our LFS that had Crayfish for sale, they can be extremely deadly tankmates for each other as well as other fish species you may have sharing the same tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom