Crayfish at LFS

Discussion in 'Crayfish - Crawfish' started by Treefork, Apr 16, 2010.

1. TreeforkWell Known MemberMember

Was looking at the crayfish tank at the LFS and was challenged by a crayfish. I looked at the tank and he popped out of his cave and came at the glass with his pincers waving. When I got closer he started snapping his claws at the glass. It was cracking me up. I backed away and he went back into his cave then I approached him again and he charged out again. Was pretty cool. I thought about getting him then decided it would probably be a pain to clean his tank as he would probably get my fingers. :)

2. ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

Actually, I don't think so...all you need is a 10 gallon for him.

If you want to know some painful tank-cleaning, ask BB.

3. TreeforkWell Known MemberMember

She have some aggressive tanks to clean eh?

4. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I strongly advise a tank larger than 10 gallons for a crayfish.

5. TreeforkWell Known MemberMember

No worries, I'm not getting one, just thought I'd relate my story. :)

6. Danionins.comValued MemberMember

Crayfish can be very entertaining. I've got a marble crayfish that begs for food just like you describe. I always thought it was waving it's arms around to get my attention... HEY, over here, how about a shrimp stick? lol

Dennis

7. thequietman44Valued MemberMember

My crayfish does the same thing. As soon as I enter the room he comes running out of his barrel and charges the glass :). He just molted and his claws grew at least a half inch so now he looks a lot more intimidating.

Mine is doing fine in a 10g, but when you look at their natural habitat they would have a lot more surface area there. When you think about it, a creature that grows to 6 inches does seem a tad cramped in a 10g :). But sadly, very few in the aquarium hobby can ever provide anything approximating most natural habitats, so we have to settle for good maintenance in adequate sized tanks. I think the most important thing for crayfish is to give them plenty of hiding places, which gives a 10g a lot more area to explore.

I think I would have a lot more crayfish if I had the space to properly house them. They have tons of personality :).

8. Crazy Crays24Valued MemberMember

My Crayfish does the exact same thing

9. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

:;laughing-You know me well:;hug2

Not as aggressive as they could be, but my mbuna think anything that goes in the tank should be eaten, my JD's when they spawn DO NOT like me getting into the tank with a syphon and I have cichlids in most of my tanks.

What can I say, I like my fish to be tough;D I have 4 month old bettas that flare at me.

Oh, and my rabbit likes to chew on my shoes and socks when I'm in her cage as well.

Jaysee is pretty knowledgeable about crayfish, so a 10g probably isn't big enough.

A betta would love a 10g, sparkling gouramis, african dwarf frog, endler guppies would all be happy in a 10g. Not all of them, but you could have a betta or sparkling gouramis or an ADF or endler guppies.

10. TreeforkWell Known MemberMember

Don't know where the 10 gallon thing even came in. Don't think I ever mentioned it. lol I'm not even getting one.

11. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Oops:;smack Sorry. Guess I didn't read the thread as thoroughly as I thought I did.

After all the information, are you sure you don't want a 10g now?;)

12. Danionins.comValued MemberMember

It really depends on the type of crayfish. All of mine are dwarfs that only get 3" or 4" long... they are fine in 10 gallon tanks.

Dennis

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice