Crayfish, and giant fan shrimps.

BristolBulldog

Reaction score
I have one of these.

clear.gif

it is currently housed in a separate tank, and will soon be in a 4ft tank of its own. What can I mix with this? I was hoping to put a few red clawed crabs in there as well, as the tank is so large they would still have their own territories? the tank will be new to all, so existing territories will not exist as such.

Is there a list of other fish and animals I can mix in such a large tank? He always seemed scared of my 6" pleco after trying to pick on it once, and severly lost, but I think the pleco's are too laid back really.

the other thing. my local pet shop has a simlar looking creature, and I think its call a giant armoured fan shrimp? it looks the same at the back, but its apparently totally peaceful, and has no claws. the front of it is smoothed down rather like the back. I was thinking of putting one of these in another normal tank. anything new I need to know? googling it seems to show that so long as tank conditions are generally good they are very hardy, and adapt well (rather like the crayfish then).

Neville

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hI bristol, don't know much about crabs and shrimps, but your shrimp looks very beautiful

OP
B

BristolBulldog

Reaction score
Hi, Nev. that's a library photo. mine's got a lot of blue on him, and red streaks, but not as colourful as the one in the pic.

Toddnbecka

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The fan shrimp may be eaten when it molts, even if the crayfish doesn't just kill it outright. The best tankmate would be another crayfish of the opposite sex (same species) in the 4' tank.

gmann21193

Reaction score
giant armoured fan shrimp? haha that's soo ridiculous. Giant armoured fanshrimp are just large regular fan shrimp. That's a pretty crayfish. Crays will kill anything they can get their claws on, a shrimp definitely being something they WILL kill. And this is bad... because most shrimp carry a certain disease and if the cray eats the shrimp that cray will die. Your cray looks like a Cherax Quad, AKA autralian redclaw because of the orangeish joints and the carapace shape. But I'm not expert. I know mine is a Quad, and it looks sorta like urs, cept mine is a blueish brown, but the colors vary

New Threads