Cray Fish

betsy_n_loves_JRC

Reaction score
I really want an electric blue Cray Fish to put into a twenty gallon.I'n ot sure what else to put in there with it.HELP!! please :-[

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am not the most qualified for this one-- but here is what I know--

They will eat any fish that they can get their claws on, so no small fish, slow fish or curious fish. Maybe there is someone out there who has one of these creatures that could help you more. The blue ones are quite beautiful, I am just not sure that there are many tank mates for them. I also read that they become territorial with each other.

Good luck.

gmann21193

Valued Member
Reaction score
Crayfish can live peacefully among fish as long as they are fast. I bought 4 minnows to add life to the tank and to keep my cray busy ( believe me...he trys to get them). The minnows are too fast for him. The best he can do is just chase them out of his little den he dug himself. Although he did get one...it was sorta handed to him. One of the minnows got stuck underneath the rock and the crayfish saw this as his chance and brutally attacked it and it was done. It was kinda sad becuase there were 3 orange minnows and 1 grey one and all the orange ones schooled and the grey one was kinda a loner fish and he was the one that got stuck under the rock. Minnow suicide? lol

bullseye69

Reaction score
Hello well to start it also depends on the crayfish. if you look at my sig you will see what all i have in the tank with my blue caryfish. he dosen't try to catch any of the fish, if any thing some of the fish come up to him and scare him very funny to watch. i have a very brave albino rainbow shark he is always meeting him face to face. but i would have to agree you would want some fast fish. depending on the size of your tank, i would go with a 6 or more tiger barbs, some silver dollars. just keep an eye on him and be sure you have another tank to put him in with if he is very agressive.

gmann21193

Valued Member
Reaction score
yes and also, like bettas for example, crayfish can have different personalities. some are aggresive, some arent. So if its a risk your willing to take then go for it. But be prepared for a good outcome or a bad one. its your call. at least you know your cray will survive unless you get cichlids. Cichlids can eat crays and will kill them.

VertigoXLR8R222

Valued Member
Reaction score
i have a locally farm raised crayfish i thought he would be aggressive since one i had when i was a kid would eat live minnows so i got rosy reds as feeders to compliment the red light that he lives in no go :-\ they tease him and just make him mad he could not care less if they're in there and loves his shrimp pellets i've decided on a live plant bunch to give him a variety of food to try anacharis seems to be the best choice there's a goldfish in the tank that he seems to have to designs on either but... i bought a pleco since the crayfish seemed to be peaceful it took maybe 45 seconds before my pleco was dinner i'm going to try an algae eater next since they seem to be more active than pleco's :-\ but the rosy red's really seem to like him and two live in the cave with the crayfish 8) i guess it all depends on the crayfish's attitude and maybe if he's hungry hope this is some help from someone with a little experience Lee

darkwolf29a

Valued Member
Reaction score
Having crayfish really depends on the cray itself. When I bought mine, I bought her with the thought that my only other fish in the tank, my Phantom Tetra, was going to be food. Well, 6 months later and I have added 3 Tiger Barbs to the mix, and I am getting another tank ready for all of them to have more room. Also, I'll be adding another crayfish as well, plus some other fish.

Crayfish are funny, some don't mind company while others....not so much. There are various web sites out there with cray info, if you are interested. I can post some here, or you can do a google search.

I'll forewarn you though, once you get the first cray....you'll wonder what you were doing before, as their antics can be quite funny.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom