Crawfish

King Dojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Can you keep crayfish and small freshwater crabs in a tank with fish that are to big for them to fit in there claws. I was just wondering because I thought it would be cool if this can be done.

Toddnbecka

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It depends on the fish, inverts are vulnerable when they molt. They may not eat the fish, but the fish may eat them while they're still soft after molting.

King Dojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
so fish like cichlids might try and kill them depending on there size.

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Crawfish, when mature, can't differentiate between 'small fish' and 'big fish', it's all food to them.. and so eventually you'll find fish missing chunks of underbelly.. wish I could tell you different, but I'm pretty sure no one here has ever seen an LFS holding fish and mature Crawfish together.. and if you have, call P.E.T.A. !!

gmann21193

Valued Member
Reaction score
a LFS near my house were housing 4 inch crayfish in a tank full of AFRICAN CICHLIDS. I dont think they lasted long. The cichlid is one of the bigger enemies of crayfish. They will constantly attack them.

King Dojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh do you think other invertabrates would have a chance like small crabs.

gmann21193

Valued Member
Reaction score
no way. the cray would tear them apart. anything thier size or smaller they have a very good chance of tearing apart. and when i say tearing, I mean tearing!!!!!!! seriusly they are vicious!

King Dojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh I think I might be getting a crayfish. I had one before for like three years before it died. I also might make the tank half water half land for a salamander. I have done this before as well and one time the crayfish cralled out and was snapping at the salamander lol poor thing fortunatly the crawfish got bored and went back into the water.

gmann21193

Valued Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt do that cuz the salamander can release toxins into the water that can hurt the crayfish.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you have a tall enough tank, crayfish will work with top-dwelling fish. Crayfish don't like leaving the bottom to feed. Large, peaceful fish tend to also be okay, just as long as the crayfish you're getting isn't too big. Some only get to be two inches or so, others get to be five or six inches.
With crabs, it depends on the type of crab. I saw a marine tank recently that was literally crawling with hermit crabs and had a couple of bottom feeders, they didn't bother each other at all.

gmann21193

Valued Member
Reaction score
sirdarksol said:
just as long as the crayfish you're getting isn't too big. Some only get to be two inches or so, others get to be five or six inches.
and dont forget some can grow up to 12 inches. Like Charax Quad for example

King Dojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
so do you feed your crayfish live food or a combination.

gmann21193

Valued Member
Reaction score
mine eats algae wafers cuz its too small to catch anything live yet. Its a baby only about 3-4 inches long.

King Dojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh I fed mine special crab and crawfish food. And also sinking loach waffers and sometimes minnows.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom