crawfish 10 Gallon Tank

1. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

i've wanted a crawfish tank since i started the hobby and i've finally decided im going to set one up. i want to do a local species, ad the species i think i have is cambarus bartonii which reaches an adult size of 2.5 inches. i plan on having many hiding places so how many do you think i can keep? from the research ive done they are supposed to tolerate small groups. if i end up not getting local then i will get CPO's or dwarf cajun crays. how many CPO's could i have? also how mant dwarf cajun crays could i have? this will be a species only tank.
    thanks

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

crayfish are terrific! If that's as big as they get, you could try to keep 2 in the 10. As for the other two, 3 is a good number to try. Honestly, I would just get 6 and see how many you end up with.

What you can do to increase the square footage is build a second level. Since it's a species tank, you can have 2 ramps leading up to a second level in the tank. That egg crate stuff would be perfect. If I were to try them again, that's exactly what I'd do.

3. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

example? i cant really visualize that

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Okay, so you cut it to fit inside the 10 gallon. Put legs at the corners so it is like a table. It can sit inside the tank and be removed for cleaning and maintenance. I would cut out two holes in it, for ramps, to allow them to reach the second floor. I would also use the egg crate for that too.

Attached Files:

5. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

thats a really good idea but i hate unnatural looking tanks and would hate how it looked. im probably going to go with a pair of cajun crays just bc i dont know how i would feel about taking crays from the wild, where they had all that space and then putting them in a 10 gallon.

6. fighter55 Member Member

7. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The crayfish are going to use about 10% of the tank, so if you aren't going to add fish, and if you aren't going to build a second floor, then it's going to be a very boring tank. I'm just being honest.

8. jbdub Member Member

I know a guy who kept 2 african butterfly fish with his Cray Fish, they can work coz their sitting at the surface 90% of the time

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

There are lots of fish that can be kept with crayfish, and just about any fish can be kept with dwarf crayfish. The prohibitive factor here is the size of the tank.

African butterflies are not very active fish, but they do swim around the surface - in my opinion a 10 is not big enough. Is it big enough most of the time? Yes, because the fish doesn't do a lot. BUT, even if the fish is only active 10% of the time, it ought to have the space available for it to be active, which a 10 just doesn't provide.

10. jbdub Member Member

my bad, didn't cop the 10 gal piece.

11. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

How about a group of clown killis?

12. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

what about panda tetras? they seemed to stay at the top.

13. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The only fish I wouldn't get are bottom dwellers, because there isn't enough space for more than the crays. You can get fish that will swim throughout the tank though. I've never heard of panda tetras, but if they are suitable for a 10 gallon tank then I'd say it's fine.

14. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

ok cool. i may end up makeing this a 20 gallon so i can get an electric blue. then i could upgrade my 20 to the 29, but i havent decided yet. if i do that could i keep him in the 10 for like a month or so? if i do end up getting the cajuns would a betta be a good tankmate?

15. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

If you get a full size crayfish instead, in a 20 long you'll want to keep it to top dwelling fish, like the butterflies of golden wonder killis. The reason being that because it's a short tank, a vast majority of the volume is within the crays reach. A 29 provides much more room for mid water swimming fish.

16. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

i could put him in the 29, but the hood has a big long hole to put filters in. how wouldbi over all of that up?

17. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

also how many african butterfly fish could i get and where can i get them? also how many golden killis? id only get one or the other.

18. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

ok i got the electric blue and it will go in my 29 once i get my angel pair. so here are my questions;
    1.do they like fake plants?
    2.if i have 10 cherry barbs, how many african butterfly fish or golden wonder killis can i have?
    3.will a crayfish get along with a female convict?
    4.do they prefer smooth rocks or flat rough rocks?
    thanks!

19. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

you must use fake plants with a cray. he'll rip up live ones. i have cherry barbs and danios with my blue cray. he has killed a few barbs...but that's not too common.

i would not do convicts at all with a cray. that would not end well, for one, or both of them.

they like to dig, so sand is good. and they'll climb anything. wood, rocks, fake plants etc. just make sure to have a cave or two....they like to hide at times...especially when molting.

i moved my guy, mr.blue, to a 40g several months ago...and it's a great size for him. nice floor space. :) have fun!

20. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

ugh i cant decide. i have 10 cherry barbs and i could move them to his 29, but i dont want my fantail cherry barbs killed bc theyre so special, but then i could keep my congos in my 55. arg!!