Crawfish with severe shell rot on his claws

LSquareds

I have a twenty gallon with a white crawfish and he's had shell rot for awhile which I was treating with salt baths and for awhile it had worked but now it has gotten real severe his claws are almost entirely black and he's officially refusing to eat his favorite food, he used to be very active in the tank and now his activity is at a minimum Is there any other treatment I can give him or is it time to say goodbye to him and deep clean the tank. I did have a blue crawfish living with him but he has since been removed and put in a ten gallon so I can keep watch of any signs of shell rot on him. To be honest I know a lot can cause shell rot his water conditions were fine, he hasn't been stressed I just noticed the spots appearing one day and I am still unsure of the reason why. Unless anyone has any suggestions on any other treatment I can give him I'll need to find a quick way to put him down he's been with me since the loss of my first crawfish Opie last year and it is shocking how quickly the shell rot progressed even with the salt baths. If no one has any other recommendations then what I've been doing then tomorrow I guess I'll stick him in the freezer and do a deep clean of the tank. please reply as soon as you can to this post.

AJE

I have a twenty gallon with a white crawfish and he's had shell rot for awhile which I was treating with salt baths and for awhile it had worked but now it has gotten real severe his claws are almost entirely black and he's officially refusing to eat his favorite food, he used to be very active in the tank and now his activity is at a minimum Is there any other treatment I can give him or is it time to say goodbye to him and deep clean the tank. I did have a blue crawfish living with him but he has since been removed and put in a ten gallon so I can keep watch of any signs of shell rot on him. To be honest I know a lot can cause shell rot his water conditions were fine, he hasn't been stressed I just noticed the spots appearing one day and I am still unsure of the reason why. Unless anyone has any suggestions on any other treatment I can give him I'll need to find a quick way to put him down he's been with me since the loss of my first crawfish Opie last year and it is shocking how quickly the shell rot progressed even with the salt baths. If no one has any other recommendations then what I've been doing then tomorrow I guess I'll stick him in the freezer and do a deep clean of the tank. please reply as soon as you can to this post.
What's the ph, gh and kh? Don't rush to put something down as it could easily be something that he can get over

Upvote 0

Demeter

Is it just on the two big claws? Check the parameters and list them here if possible.

I understand it is a process to treat shell rot as you need to wait for the cray to molt and this only works if the inner shell isn't infected.

If it is just the claws then you may consider removing them. Crays are perfectly capable of regrowing their claws so even though it sounds barbaric there is a chance it could work.

Upvote 0

LSquareds

Is it just on the two big claws? Check the parameters and list them here if possible.

I understand it is a process to treat shell rot as you need to wait for the cray to molt and this only works if the inner shell isn't infected.

If it is just the claws then you may consider removing them. Crays are perfectly capable of regrowing their claws so even though it sounds barbaric there is a chance it could work.
Water parameters are all normal, the temperature is perfect about 74 degrees which its normally at so i don't think that's a factor I do water changes at the end of each week to keep it clean so i do not know what could have caused this I am going to change the substrate today in case there is any food that has slipped down into the gravel that i haven't gotten up which is doubtful. i really do not want to cut off his claws and risk them getting infected in the tank. I've been giving him salt baths for a month and a half and will continue to do so but if he gets any worse I'll have to consider to put him down. he is way past due for a molt and i fear that this will kill him at this rate. The way he's looking today I don't think he'll make it to Saturday.

Upvote 0

richiep

What's the update on your cray? If its still alive you need to treat with Levamisole

Upvote 0

LylebuckyCasey

Listen to what richiep says he knows what he's talking about. He helped me thru a very intense situation with my last crawfish that had a sever case of shell rot. What he's telling u to use really does work.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
coolio3991
Replies
Views
LuxuriantTen
Replies
Views
Pfrozen
Replies