Crawfish And Gourami?!?! No.

ElectricBlueCrawfish1

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have an electric blue crawfish and a three spot gourami in a 29gal tank, just moved them from my 10gal I don't want my crawfish to eat the gourami when he molts, he is almost as big as the gourami and when he molts again he will be bigger. NEED HELP.
1527096453632.jpg

I have a 29gal tank with three spot gourami, electric blue crawfish and a pleco. The reason why I think that the crawfish will eat my gourami is that when he molts he will be bigger. I don't want to have to put the gourami in a different tank because I don't have any. That and the gourami is supper cool and my 29gal tank is the center piece of my room. Now I was thinking I could just put ghost shrimp in my 10 gallon and move them into my 29 gallon as I needed to for the crawfish.
Gourami to big for 10gal tank.
1527337294452.jpg

ElectricBlueCrawfish1

Valued Member
Reaction score
What if I just keep it stocked with ghost shrimp? Then he can just snack on those if he ever gets hungry.

ElectricBlueCrawfish1 said:
What if I just keep it stocked with ghost shrimp? Then he can just snack on those if he ever gets hungry.
I also have a 10 gallon tank but I don't want to put the Grammy back in there that's the one he was in before.

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What exactly is your question? I don't recommend keeping them together... It's your responsibility to make sure they're both happy and healthy, even if it means rehoming one of them or getting another tank.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Crawfish by nature are scavengers, not predators by nature, so any dead fish lying on the bottom would be a treat. They are also opportunistic, so if the Gourami was to rest on the bottom, the crawfish may approach it, but that would cause the Gourami to just swim away. There is always a circumstance where a fish investigating too closely could receive a pinch, but as long as the crawfish is sufficiently fed, it will just search around the bottom for whatever tasty morsels it can find. I wouldn't have any problems myself with keeping them in the same tank.
I have a 29gal tank with three spot gourami, electric blue crawfish and a pleco. The reason why I think that the crawfish will eat my gourami is that when he molts he will be bigger. I don't want to have to put the gourami in a different tank because I don't have any. That and the gourami is supper cool and my 29gal tank is the center piece of my room. Now I was thinking I could just put ghost shrimp in my 10 gallon and move them into my 29 gallon as I needed to for the crawfish.
Gourami to big for 10gal tank.View attachment 441634

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
There are far too many instances of crayfish preying upon, killing, and eating larger aquarium fish. I wouldn't even risk it with the pleco, to be honest. Look around even just this forum a bit and see how many times crayfish killed other fish, even some larger than itself. The gourami is not safe, if it happens to sleep near the bottom the crayfish are too opportunistic to miss the chance

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I will concede that the rule; better safe than sorry is a good rule to follow. About 25 years ago, I set up a 40 gallon community tank for a Chiropractic office that included what was called back then; freshwater blue lobster (same blue crawfish). I serviced their tank once every week. There was never any problems in this particular situation...but may have just been lucky. Putting the crawfish in another tank would certainly err on the side of safty.
Rtessy said:
There are far too many instances of crayfish preying upon, killing, and eating larger aquarium fish. I wouldn't even risk it with the pleco, to be honest. Look around even just this forum a bit and see how many times crayfish killed other fish, even some larger than itself. The gourami is not safe, if it happens to sleep near the bottom the crayfish are too opportunistic to miss the chance

ElectricBlueCrawfish1

Valued Member
Reaction score
The Grammy has been with the Crawfish since it was so little it's kind of hard to remember I don't know how long probably about a half a year though the Crawfish is about a year old. The Crawfish also ate another crawfish I had put in there when he first molted.

My mom and dad has a 50 gallon Community tank that they offered to keep my gourami in when the crawfish molts again. I was also thinking that maybe before the crawfish molts I can just put him back in the 10 gallon tank.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would just get more gouramis and feed them bits of that crawfish, except I keep hearing about a bad type of gourami disease going around.

I find crawfish quite tasty but not very interesting as pets.

They do taste almost as good as Lobster.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I responded to you earlier and the post went to someone else about what to feed ghost shrimp. They will eat about any type of sink fish food or even the shrimp pellets that are available now. I do recommend that you find any species of moss that you can and just rubber band it to a rock to keep it on the bottom. Shrimp love picking through moss for tasty morsels and they keep the moss clean.
The Grammy has been with the Crawfish since it was so little it's kind of hard to remember I don't know how long probably about a half a year though the Crawfish is about a year old. The Crawfish also ate another crawfish I had put in there when he first molted.

My mom and dad has a 50 gallon Community tank that they offered to keep my gourami in when the crawfish molts again. I was also thinking that maybe before the crawfish molts I can just put him back in the 10 gallon tank.

2006fuzz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you believe your crayfish is close to molting again, putting him in the smaller tank that you said he was too big for might kill him. Before the molting process starts, crayfish secrete some lubrication between the new shell and the molt. Moving him in a smaller tank may cause him to try and stop this process which is very dangerous for the crayfish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom