Crawfish and Bluegills

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by illestXyOoJ, Aug 8, 2015.

1. illestXyOoJNew MemberMember

Hi everyone, I currently have a 30 gallon (planning to get a 100 later on) and have 2 crawfish in it. I was wondering can I put 1 or 2 bluegills in there or will they kill each other? Cause I use to have a bass and a crappie with the 2 crayfish and they got along just fine. Also, do the stores sell bluegills? Or do I have to go catch them?

2. HypeirNew MemberMember

Are you pulling these fish from a lake? I mean you can probably fit a small bluegill, unlikely a crappie, definitely not a bass (12 inch growth from a fry - 1 year). Why not give it a try? Keep testing your waters and if the changes get to be too much, reintroduce them to a pond

*edit* the fish you listed might eat your crawfish.. depending on the size of the crawfish.

3. illestXyOoJNew MemberMember

No from creek. The funny thing is that the bass and crappie didn't try to eat it and the bass and crappie was bout 12 inches both. But I released them. Ok thanks. :)

4. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    Bluegills are way too big for a 30 gallon, they get a foot long....
    Crayfish will either eat the fish or be eaten. Most stores don't sell bluegills.

5. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

You could be breaking the law by doing this. Just FYI.

Once you get your 100 gallon, then buy the fish for it. You can get native fish online.

Bluegill, crappie and bass are all way to big for a 30. And once big enough, the fish will more than likely eat the cray. And when the fish are small, the cray may eat them.