Question Craving Another Pet

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
(Note on if this thread will be moved: This is mainly terrestrial crustaceans/invertebrates as a whole while talking about these two critters plus some rodent stuff)

I kept think about and yeah no hamsters won't be for me. I don't have the space and it of the mainly animals my mom and dad said a big fat "no!" towards.
I've had hermit crabs, goldfish and bettas as a child (younger than 12 years old)... we didn't take good care of them. I was really the caretaker of the crabs but you know how there's an estimated timeline ottos die at (24hr or 1 month)? The expected is 8 months for hermit crabs. Sure, Sandy live to be 10 months but I'm getting far off track. I am aware they can live to be 30 years old.
The isopods are doing fine, got a few broods of mancae and caught wild springtails. I do want to try again with hermit crabs. I'm currently doing research and to be perfectly honest, I've been doing research since getting my dog on each pet I crave.

Hermit crabs, isopods, snails, or fish I know are not ok to handle everyday (minus Sebastian, he likes his chin boops). I still can't bring isopods into the house so the care for the hermit crabs will be a little more work. Assuming they like live plants, maybe I should plant some lettuce, strawberries, dandelions, ferns or something in their terrarium?
Will they eat fish flakes or pellets? Algae wafers? Those hermit crab pellets commercially available? Peas? Strawberries? Do I really need fresh and salt water dishes?

There are very few up-to-date source on hermit crab care, especially videos, I feel like a forum may be the better option for that. Also mom is ok with getting them again YAAAAAYYYYYYY.

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This is a bit off-topic but have you thought about keeping Toads?
Yes I have but it is another animal my parents said no to. I'm not a huge fan of bugs or insects so that's kind of why.

They eat high quality hermit crab food
I don't know what is "High quality" and where to get it. Things are kind of limited in my city.

Last edited by a moderator:

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
when I was a little girl I wanted them so badly. Because of my ADHD any "ok to handle" pet can get annoyed with my craziness.
A Hedgehog would be perfect, they do not need insects, they are like in the middle for being handled, and they are cooler than hamsters.

Salem

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You mentioned snails- I absolutely love keeping snails. I've kept several grove snails I found in my yard over summer and I've learned so much about them. Did you know they form bonds with other snails and will sleep beside them every day? Or that some like to have their shells petted? One of mine just recently laid a clutch of eggs and I am so excited about it. I also have a few slugs in with them too. They don't need a whole lot, I keep mine in a plastic bin with some sticks and a bunch of moss in it. Every week I give them various veggie scraps- mostly lettuce and cucumber as those are their favourites. I clean their poop off of the walls and lid every other week and give them a little spritz every few days.

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A Hedgehog would be perfect, they do not need insects, they are like in the middle for being handled, and they are cooler than hamsters.
I sometimes wish I could have one. My parents say they make so much noise at night it sometimes sounds as if someone is breaking in. Miley would not shut up (and her barking at night is the worst thing). Good idea for the feature though.

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I sometimes wish I could have one. My parents say they make so much noise at night it sometimes sounds as if someone is breaking in. Miley would not shut up (and her barking at night is the worst thing). Good idea for the feature though.
It would probably not be as loud as a barking dog, do consider the hedgehog though!

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You mentioned snails- I absolutely love keeping snails. I've kept several grove snails I found in my yard over summer and I've learned so much about them. Did you know they form bonds with other snails and will sleep beside them every day? Or that some like to have their shells petted? One of mine just recently laid a clutch of eggs and I am so excited about it. I also have a few slugs in with them too. They don't need a whole lot, I keep mine in a plastic bin with some sticks and a bunch of moss in it. Every week I give them various veggie scraps- mostly lettuce and cucumber as those are their favourites. I clean their poop off of the walls and lid every other week and give them a little spritz every few days.
I got a slug and some mini/micro snails. I never knew they were a lot smarter than they act sometimes.

Mom: "no snails or slugs in the house"
Me: "umm excuse me" *hinting towards the ramshorns in the aquariums*

She let me drag them into the house last year I don't get her peeve with them this time.
I keep them in an enclosure outside but I plan to move the critter cultures into the garage before autumn/fall begins (later this month). Mom is the veggie eater of the house, I like to raise various plants (and critters) so feeding them should be slightly simple. Snails are fascinating for a biologist/science guru like me so I'll try to make the enclosure for them in my room for if mom lets me.

Can ramshorn snails live on land? I know they have lungs and not gills.

Salem

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I got a slug and some mini/micro snails. I never knew they were a lot smarter than they act sometimes.

Mom: "no snails or slugs in the house"
Me: "umm excuse me" *hinting towards the ramshorns in the aquariums*

She let me drag them into the house last year I don't get her peeve with them this time.
I keep them in an enclosure outside but I plan to move the critter cultures into the garage before autumn/fall begins (later this month). Mom is the veggie eater of the house, I like to raise various plants (and critters) so feeding them should be slightly simple. Snails are fascinating for a biologist/science guru like me so I'll try to make the enclosure for them in my room for if mom lets me.

Can ramshorn snails live on land? I know they have lungs and not gills.
Lol my mother had the same reaction but ultimately decided that as long as its my room its fine.
As far as I know ramshorns can't survive outside of the water for very long

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lol my mother had the same reaction but ultimately decided that as long as its my room its fine.
As far as I know ramshorns can't survive outside of the water for very long
Hmmm... I'll have to conduct controlled experiments on ramshorns to find out.
What size (gallon, litre, quart) tub/pin do you suggest for 1-4mm (shell size) wild snails?

Salem

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hmmm... I'll have to conduct controlled experiments on ramshorns to find out.
What size (gallon, litre, quart) tub/pin do you suggest for 1-4mm (shell size) wild snails?
With snails that small you could honestly get away with keeping them in a large sandwich container. I think they would do well in something marketed towards bettas- .5-1.5 gallon. The 6 I have are about 23mm and I usually keep them in a 5 gallon tank but am currently keeping them in a plastic bin thats about 12"x 6"x 5" (they didn't seem to like the screen lid on the 5 gallon- I think they prefer the humidity that builds up in the sealed bin) and they seem pretty happy. They can be pretty active and the fact that one of them laid eggs leads me to believe it isn't stressed or anyting.

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
With snails that small you could honestly get away with keeping them in a large sandwich container. I think they would do well in something marketed towards bettas- .5-1.5 gallon. The 6 I have are about 23mm and I usually keep them in a 5 gallon tank but am currently keeping them in a plastic bin thats about 12"x 6"x 5" (they didn't seem to like the screen lid on the 5 gallon- I think they prefer the humidity that builds up in the sealed bin) and they seem pretty happy. They can be pretty active and the fact that one of them laid eggs leads me to believe it isn't stressed or anyting.
Ok. Some of mine laid eggs in on of those small Ziploc tubs that are about 0.5 gallons. The tub was really meant to start off my isopod culture. They aren't the most active snails out there, because of our dry climate the snails I have spend time hiding unless the area is moist/damp/wet/humid. I'll have to add some mesh or netting over the holes the indoors containers have since they are great climbers and are so tiny. Thanks for the help!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom